St Helena : NEW ST HELENA PORT AUTHORITY
Submitted by Saint Helena Herald (Public Relations Information Office) 28.07.2014 (Article Archived on 06.09.2014)
A new St Helena Port Authority has now been established, to replace the former Harbour Board, taking over its functions and responsibilities.
NEW ST HELENA PORT AUTHORITY
A new St Helena Port Authority has now been established, to replace the former Harbour Board, taking over its functions and responsibilities. The Authority consists of 12 permanent members divided equally into two separate sub-committees:
Port Security Committee
• Police Dept (Merlin George)
• H.M. Customs (Lionel Joshua)
• Immigration (Emerald Newman)
• Harbourmaster’s Office (Steve Kirk)
• ANRD Biosecurity Officer (Jill Key)
• Private Security Contractor (Paul Laban)
This committee deals with law enforcement, border control and security at Jamestown Wharf and in Rupert’s Bay, fulfilling the requirements of the ISPS Code (International Ship and Port Facility Security Code).
Port Stakeholders Committee
• Diving Club (Graham Sim)
• Fisheries Manager (Terry Richards)
• Life Boat (Fire Service) (Alan Thomas)
• Queen Mary & Victoria Stores (Gregory Cairns-Wicks)
• Solomons & Co (Jason Thomas)
• Thorpe & Sons (Nick Thorpe)
To allow for a fair and balanced cross-section of the Wharf community, membership of this committee is split equally between the largest merchants and other Wharf users. This committee fulfils the requirements of Chapter 47 of the St Helena Harbours Ordinance.
Both committees will convene every three months, unless events or circumstances dictate otherwise, when emergency meetings can be called. The Chairman of the Port Authority is the Harbourmaster, who may appoint a Vice-Chairman for each sub-committee as agreed by the members.
28 July 2014