|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | All Islands|
ALL ISLANDS: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (136) - Archived (5895) - All (6031)
- 1: SUKEY CAMERON MBE ELECTED UKOTA CHAIR - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 20.02.2015
- At the AGM of the UK Overseas Territories Association (UKOTA), held on Thursday 12th February, Sukey Cameron MBE, Representing the Falkland Islands Government, was elected Chair
- 2: TWO FROM PARAGUAY VISIT THE Falklands - Falklands (Business News) - 20.02.2015
- At the invitation of the UK Embassy in Paraguay, Mr Hugo Esteban Estigarriba and Mr Martin Burt visited the Falklands last week to familiarise themselves with the Islands, people, way of life and justice system.
- 3: Prison Staff achieve Training Certification - Falklands (Education) - 20.02.2015
- HE The Governor, presented Prison Staff with a certificate, following their achievement in completing the first modular training package specifically for Prison Officers.
- 4: NINE CREWMEN OVERBOARD IN TWO SEPARATE INCIDENTS IN THE FALKLAND ISLANDS - Falklands (Fisheries) - 19.02.2015
- FINN would like to thank the Falklands PR Office for this comprehensive report.
- 5: Falklands: SEVEN JUMP SHIP AT LUNAR NEW YEAR: - Falklands (Fisheries) - 17.02.2015
- Corrected from Original 17/02/15 version. The newly formed Falklands Public Relations Office provided FINN with details of Tuesday's Ship Jumping incident.
- 6: FALKLAND ISLANDS EXCLUSIVE FUEL SUPPLY LICENCE - Falklands (Business News) - 14.02.2015
- Executive Council (ExCo) has approved an extension of Stanley Services Ltd.’s exclusive licence for the importation of Hydrocarbons into the Falkland Islands and its territorial waters, until the year 2023.
- 7: FALKLAND ISLANDS PENSION SCHEME AWARDED QROPS STATUS - Falklands (Health) - 14.02.2015
- The Falklands Islands Pensions Board is pleased to announce that HM Revenue & Customs in the United Kingdom has approved the Falkland Islands Pensions Scheme (FIPS) as a Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pensions Scheme (QROPS).
- 8: STUART BOOTH PASSES AWAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.02.2015
- Stuart Booth, husband of Jesse, passed away on Wednesday, 04 February 2015. He and Jesse were the oldest couple in the Falklands.
- 9: MAJOR INCIDENT TRAINING EXERCISE COMPLETED - St Helena (Health) - 12.02.2015
- The public is advised that the major incident training exercise, which took place this morning, has been completed.
- 10: Falklands: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 11 February 2015 - Falklands (Legal) - 11.02.2015
- Attending MLA’s Poole, Rendell and Summers. This was a brief meeting with only a few papers.
- 11: CHUBBS SPRING ROCK STABILISATION - St Helena (Business News) - 10.02.2015
- On the afternoon of Thursday 5 February 2015, while out on routine inspection, Rock Guards, from the Environment and Natural Resources Directorate (ENRD), discovered a rock, approximately one cubic metre in size that required stabilisation - the rock was located above Chubbs Spring.
- 12: MAJOR INCIDENT TRAINING EXERCISE - 12 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 09.02.2015
- The public is reminded that a major incident training exercise will take place on the morning of Thursday, 12 February 2015.
- 13: St Helena: COUNCILLORS’ CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS IN FEBRUARY/MARCH - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.02.2015
- Councillors will be holding a series of constituency meetings from 16 February to 16 March 2015.
- 14: St Helena: ROAD RESURFACING – HUTTS GATE TO LONGWOOD GATE - St Helena (Business News) - 04.02.2015
- As part of the ongoing road maintenance programme, the road from Hutts Gate to Longwood Gate will be resurfaced, beginning on Monday 9 February 2015.
- 15: MALO RIVER ROVER BRIDGE CLOSED - Falklands (Business News) - 04.02.2015
- Following a single vehicle road traffic accident on the morning of Saturday 31st January, which resulted in significant damage to the bridge over the Malo River on the North Camp Road
- 16: T&T MISSION A SUCCESS - Falklands (Business News) - 04.02.2015
- Martin Winward (Head Teacher of FICS) and Steve Dent (Invenio FI) discussed the recent outbound trip to Trinidad, which has resulted in several key agreements being signed
- 17: Falklands: Second follow-up survey to the Business Climate Survey 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 04.02.2015
- FIDC and the Chamber of Commerce are running a second follow-up survey to the Business Climate Survey 2014.
- 18: St Helena: BYE-ELECTION 2015 WRIT OF ELECTION ISSUED - St Helena (Legal) - 03.02.2015
- Governor Capes has today issued the Writ of Election, for the 4 March Bye-election
- 19: St Helena: MAJOR INCIDENT TRAINING EXERCISE - 12 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Education) - 03.02.2015
- The public is advised that a major incident exercise will take place on the morning of Thursday, 12 February 2015.
- 20: SAFEGUARDING ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Health) - 03.02.2015
- On Thursday 29 January 2015, Greg Hall arrived on the Island to serve as Director of the new Safeguarding Directorate, established on 1 December 2014.
- 21: CUSTOMS DUTY FOR IMPORTING A VEHICLE INTO ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 03.02.2015
- As of 1 June 2014, vehicles imported into St Helena are charged at a variable rate of
- 22: St Helena: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 3 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Legal) - 03.02.2015
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 3 February 2015, and welcomed the Honourable Derek Thomas to the meeting, following his election to ExCo at the last formal Legislative Council meeting.
- 23: St Helena: ARCHIVES CLOSURE - WEDNESDAY 4 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Heritage) - 02.02.2015
- The public is advised that the St Helena Archives will be closed on Wednesday 4 February
- 24: St Helena: NEW ADDITIONS TO HEALTH TEAM - St Helena (Health) - 02.02.2015
- The St Helena General Hospital has recently welcomed two new additions to the Health Service Team
- 25: VIRTUES PROJECT ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Heritage) - 02.02.2015
- International Trainer and Master Facilitator of the Virtues Project, Nigel Ipp, will be visiting the Island from Wednesday 18 February 2015, to provide training and support through the Virtues Project – a global grassroots initiative to inspire the practice of virtues in everyday life.
- 26: St Helena: DEREK HENRY DEPARTS FOR OVERSEAS PLACEMENT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 30.01.2015
- Deputy Director of the Environment & Natural Resources Directorate, Derek Henry (photo attached), departs the Island tomorrow, Saturday 31 January 2015 -
- 27: THE HON MR MIKE SUMMERS’ MLA PORTFOLIO REPORT - Falklands (Business News) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I have responsibilities for the Emergency Services, which include Customs and immigration, the Royal Falkland Islands Police, the Fire and Rescue Service and FIDF, as well as the Health and Medical Services Committee and Housing.
- 28: St Helena: STATEMENT BY GOVERNOR ON SEXUAL ABUSE ALLEGATIONS - St Helena (Health) - 29.01.2015
- Many of you will have seen the recent articles in the international and local media concerning reports of child abuse and other sexual offences on St Helena.
- 29: PORTFOLIO REPORT OF THE HON MR GAVIN SHORT MLA 29.01.15 - Falklands (Business News) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, it gives me great pleasure to report on the goings-on in the Public Works Department.
- 30: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 28 January 2015 - Falklands (Legal) - 29.01.2015
- When reading the minutes from the previous ExCo meeting, yet again, the ongoing difficulties in relation to FM radio coverage were noted and it was acknowledged that work is ongoing in this area.
- 31: DEBATE ON GAVIN SHORT’S PORTFOLIO REPORT 29.01.15 - Falklands (Agriculture) - 29.01.2015
- Re: MR Speaker, Honourable Members, I would like to thank the Honourable Gavin Short for his lengthy update on the Public Works Department but I’d like to make one request and one observation.
- 32: Falklands: PUBLIC MEETING MONDAY 26 JANUARY 2015 REPORT - Falklands (Business News) - 29.01.2015
- A public meeting was held in the Falkland Islands Chamber of commerce function room at 1700hrs on Monday, 26 January 2015. Present were MLAs Summers, Elsby, Cheek, Rendell, Poole, Short and Edwards.
- 33: DEBATE ON THE HON MR MIKE SUMMERS’ PORTFOLIO REPORT - Falklands (Legal) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker I would just like to thank the Honourable Mike Summers for that very full report – a very interesting report, too. I would just like to go back in the works to the Fire Brigade Buildings. I am more than happy to follow that through for you and see where the problems are.
- 34: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY 29 JANUARY 2015: Prayers, Intros Papers, Question for Oral Answer, Motions - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- A meeting of legislative Assembly took place at 0900hrs on Thursday, 29 January 2015.
- 35: 29 JANUARY 2015: LEGISLATION: Falkland Islands Pension Scheme Amendment Bill 2014 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, this bill makes a number of amendments to the Falkland Islands pension Scheme Ordinance which the Pension Board has been considering over the last five years.
- 36: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY 29 JANUARY 2015 PART 1: Prayers, Intros Papers, Question for Oral Answer - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place at 0900hrs on Thursday, 29 January 2015.
- 37: Falklands: DEBATE ON THE PENSIONS BILL 29/01/2015 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, a point of clarification – I am pleased to see the Pensions Bill is incorporating not just married people but people who are also co-habiting in a long term and civil partnerships.
- 38: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH by The Hon Mr Michael Poole: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I have just a quick number of points.
- 39: Motion for Adjournment Speech by The Hon Mrs Phyll Rendell: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I just had two areas to touch on. Firstly, (I would like to comment on) the current celebrations that are going about the 250th anniversary.
- 40: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH by The Hon Mr Mike Summers: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I would like to thank the Honourable Phyll Rendell for her description of the events at Saunders recently because the 250th anniversary of the naming of the Falklands
- 41: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH by Dr the Hon Barry Elsby: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.01.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I would just like this opportunity to talk about the recent OFSTED type inspection report that has been published and people will be aware that we recently published these reports for all our schools.
- 42: St Helena: CARGO & BAGGAGE COLLECTION - FRIDAY 30 JANUARY 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 28.01.2015
- It was announced yesterday that HM Customs would be closed on Friday 30 January 2015 between 8.30am and 11.30am for cargo and baggage collection.
- 43: HEAT AFFECTED ROADS ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 28.01.2015
- Due to the recent hot weather, the Roads Team has been treating the effects of overheated roads around the Island. The bitumen in the roads will start to melt when the road temperature reaches over 50 degrees Centigrade.
- 44: St Helena: OUTPATIENT CLINICS - St Helena (Health) - 27.01.2015
- The public will be aware that outpatient clinics in the outlying districts have been temporarily out of operation due to staff shortages at the Hospital, and in the immediate term these clinics will remain closed.
- 45: St Helena: COUNCILLOR HENRY TO ATTEND 13TH OCT-EU FORUM - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 27.01.2015
- Councillor Lawson Henry (photo attached) departs the Island on Friday, 6 February 2015, to attend a series of trilateral meetings, the Ministerial Conference and the 13th OCT-EU Forum (Overseas Countries and Territories -
- 46: St Helena: TEMPORARY PROCUREMENT ADVISOR ARRIVES - St Helena (Business News) - 27.01.2015
- Recently arriving on-Island on 16 January 2015, was Marc Lockley (photo attached) to take up the temporary position of St Helena Government Procurement Advisor
- 47: St Helena: LIFELONG LEARNING AWARDS - St Helena (Education) - 27.01.2015
- An awards ceremony was held at the Jamestown Community Centre on Tuesday, 20 January 2015, organised by Lifelong Learning Services (previously AVES).
- 48: RONNIE MB INTERVIEWS JOHN BARTON - Falklands (Fisheries) - 26.01.2015
- In this part of the interview you will hear what he has to say about Fisheries.
- 49: PUBLIC MEETING MONDAY 26 JANUARY 2015 REPORT Part 1 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.01.2015
- A public meeting was held in the Falkland Islands Chamber of commerce function room at 1700hrs on Monday, 26 January 2015. Present were MLAs Summers, Elsby, Cheek, Rendell, Poole, Short and Edwards.
- 50: PUBLIC MEETING 26 JANUARY 2015 Part 2 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.01.2015
- Barry Elsby asked Len McGill to talk about what the police were doing behind the scenes to prevent upsetting the general public.
- 51: St Helena: ROAD RESURFACING – HUTTS GATE TO LONGWOOD GATE - St Helena (Business News) - 26.01.2015
- As part of the ongoing road maintenance programme, the road from Hutts Gate to Longwood Gate will be resurfaced, beginning on Monday 9 February 2015.
- 52: St Helena: 2015 BYE-ELECTION – LAST CHANCE TO GET YOUR NAME ON THE REGISTER OF ELECTORS - St Helena (Legal) - 22.01.2015
- Persons wishing to take part in the Bye-election and whose names are not yet on the Register of Electors....
- 53: St Helena PROCLAMATION ISSUED FOR BYE-ELECTION - St Helena (Legal) - 20.01.2015
- In a Proclamation issued today, 20 January 2015, Governor Mark Capes has announced that a Bye-election to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council (following the recent resignation of Ian Rummery on 8 January) will take place on Wednesday 4 March 2015.
- 54: St Helena FORMAL LEGCO MEETING – FRIDAY 23 JANUARY - St Helena (Legal) - 19.01.2015
- A formal meeting of Legislative Council will take place on Friday, 23 January 2015 at 10am in the Court House, Jamestown.
- 55: POSSESSION DAY MARKED WITH POSITIVE SOUTH GEORGIA REPORT - S.Georgia (Business News) - 17.01.2015
- The 240th anniversary of Possession Day, when Captain James Cook on HMS Endeavour took possession of South Georgia Island in the name of King George III was marked with a reception at Government House in Stanley.
- 56: COLIN SUMMERS APPOINTED DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS - Falklands (Business News) - 16.01.2015
- The Falkland Islands Government is pleased to announce the appointment of Islander Colin Summers as the Director of Public Works, who will succeed Manfred Keenleyside when he retires later this year.
- 57: EMERGENCY PLANNING FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Health) - 16.01.2015
- Arriving on the RMS on Saturday, 10 January 2015, was Ian Johnson (photo attached) to take up the permanent emergency planning position, vacated by interim Emergency Planner, Alistair Smith, in December.
- 58: St Helena: RELOCATION OF COUNCILLORS’ OFFICES - St Helena (Business News) - 16.01.2015
- The public is advised that the Councillors’ Offices - previously situated at No.3 Main Street
- 59: NORTH ARM ROAD – CAPITAL WORKS - Falklands (Business News) - 15.01.2015
- The North Arm Road is currently undergoing a full reconstruction by PJ McKay and Son Ltd
- 60: Falklands: PM SMOKO AND SILVER PUT FINAL SHINE ON OFFICIAL VISIT - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.01.2015
- One of the last venues Sir Mark Thatcher attended in the Falklands was a traditional smoko hosted by parents of students in the Education system. Traditional sticky buns, scones and sausage rolls were served up with plenty of tea and coffee.
- 61: St Helena: NEW ADVISORY TEACHER FOR SCIENCE - St Helena (Business News) - 05.01.2015
- Arriving on the RMS on Saturday, 10 January 2015, will be Mr Bryan Germany (photo attached) to take up the post of Science Advisory Teacher.
- 62: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 17 December 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 19.12.2014
- When reading the minutes from the previous ExCo meeting, it was noted that, with regard to the FM radio service, a transmitter had been installed at Port Howard and it was working well.
- 63: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MR GAVIN SHORT 18.12.14 - Falklands (Legal) - 18.12.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the Motion J have a couple of brief points.
- 64: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MR MICHAEL POOLE MLA 12/18/14 - Falklands (Legal) - 18.12.2014
- Thank you Mr Speaker. Honourable members, obviously I would like to join my Colleagues in offering condolences to those that experienced loss in recent weeks.
- 65: SHIPPING - POST-RMS FREIGHT SERVICES UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 10.12.2014
- The public will be aware of recent visits from potential Ocean Freight Services providers Seafast, Hartman Project Lines (HPL) and Meihuizen Atlantic Islands Services (MAIS) between October and November this year.
- 66: ST HELENA SUPREME COURT CONCLUDES - St Helena (Legal) - 10.12.2014
- At the conclusion of the current sitting of the St Helena Supreme Court on Monday (8 December 2014), St Helena Government and the St Helena Police Service welcomed the sentences handed down by the Chief Justice, and hope this sends a clear message to the community.
- 67: Joint Ministerial Council Communiqué 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 03.12.2014
- The political leaders and representatives of the UK and the Overseas Territories met as the Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London on 2 and 3 December. We welcomed the newly elected leader of the Government of Montserrat to his first Council.
- 68: British and German Relatives Attend the Anniversary of the Battle of the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.12.2014
- British and German relatives of Adm. Sturdee, Adm. Craddock and Adm. Graff Spee attended a week long commemoration of the 1914 Battle of the Falkland Islands.
- 69: FORCES TV AVAILABLE TO FALKLAND ISLANDS VIEWERS - Falklands (Business News) - 01.12.2014
- From the 1st December 2014, British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) was broadcasting an additional TV channel, Forces TV, for viewers in the Falkland Islands.
- 70: RECRUITMENT ONGOING FOR JUSTICES OF THE PEACE - Falklands (Legal) - 01.12.2014
- Recruitment is underway to encourage more members of the community to serve as Justices of the Peace with the Courts and Tribunals Service. Justices of the Peace provide an essential public service within the community, hearing a range of criminal and non-criminal cases in the Summary Court.
- 71: NEW SAFEGUARDING DIRECTORATE TO LAUNCH & CBU RENAMED - St Helena (Legal) - 28.11.2014
- As previously announced, a new Safeguarding Directorate will be created in SHG from Monday 1 December 2014, the purpose of which is to - Protect and Safeguard Vulnerable Children, Young People and Adults at Risk or Suffering From Abuse.
- 72: CORPORATE SUPPORT THANKS POPPY APPEAL DONATORS - St Helena (Business News) - 28.11.2014
- Corporate Support staff would like to extend sincere thanks to everyone who supported this year’s fundraising in aid of the 2014 Poppy Appeal Fund and to all who attended the Remembrance Service on Sunday 9 November 2014.
- 73: WHARF USAGE - REMINDER - St Helena (Business News) - 27.11.2014
- The public is reminded that no unathorised vehicles can be parked on the Wharf after working hours (ie from 4pm to 8.30am Monday to Friday). Similarly at weekends, the Wharf will be closed from 4pm Friday afternoon through to Monday morning at 8.30pm.
- 74: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 26 November 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.11.2014
- The Rolling Action Log was reviewed as normal before the papers for the day. Members sought an update on when the Disciplinary Code for the Judiciary and the Framework Agreement (setting out the responsibilities of the executive branch of Government in respect of the Courts) would be published.
- 75: ATTORNEY GENERAL SWORN IN - St Helena (Legal) - 26.11.2014
- On 26 November 2014, Nicola Moore was sworn in as Attorney General for St Helena, taking the required Oaths necessary to serve on Executive and Legislative Councils, in the presence of Acting Governor Sean Burns.
- 76: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 25 NOVEMBER - St Helena (Legal) - 25.11.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 25 November 2014, to consider three items on the open agenda.
- 77: ANDREW WEIR GROUP ANNOUNCES SALE OF SHIPPING LINE - St Helena (Business News) - 21.11.2014
- The owners of the Andrew Weir Group (AWG) recently embarked on a financial restructuring exercise to enable a debt owed to the Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund (MNOPF) to be cleared and to move forward on other core non-marine activities.
- 78: 3 Way Archery Postal Shoot – a Victory for the Falklands Team - Falklands (Education) - 21.11.2014
- Yet another first for the Falklands and the Falklands Archery Association happened this week with members taking part in a 3 way Handicapped ‘Portsmouth’ Postal Shoot against 2 other UK based archery clubs...Mike McLeod tells us more
- 79: SUPREME COURT IN SESSION - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- The formal opening of the St Helena Supreme Court took place yesterday, Tuesday 18 November, at 2pm. Various Civil and Criminal cases will be heard by the Supreme Court until Wednesday 10 December 2014.
- 80: SHG Concerns about unauthorised Access Road use - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- In recent weeks, there has been a considerable increase in the unauthorised use of the Airport Access Road, leading to concerns about the safety of the public and protection of the environment.
- 81: SHG UK REPRESENTATIVE’S OFFICE - NEW CONTACT DETAILS - St Helena (Business News) - 18.11.2014
The public is advised that the SHG UK Representative, Mrs Kedell Worboys MBE and her team will be moving office on Thursday 20 November 2014.
- 82: St HELENA GIS DAY 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Day is a worldwide event held every year in more than 80 countries across the world.
- 83: St Helena: Good news for the General Hospital - St Helena (Health) - 18.11.2014
- 2 Articles The St Helena General Hospital has recently received two new operating tables from the Lund University Hospital in Sweden, sourced by the Medico Technical Engineer, Jorgen Larsson from the Swedish Hospital where our Senior Medical Officer, Dr Attila Frigyesi hails from.
- 84: OFSTED SCHOOLS INSPECTION COMPLETED IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Education) - 18.11.2014
- As Part of the Schools Inspection process the Education Department Welcomed HMI Mr Mike Chislett an inspector from the education regulator Ofsted to the Falklands as part of the schools' inspection process..
- 85: Members of A Company, the Rifles try their hand at Archery in the Falklands - Falklands (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Twelve members of members of A Company, The Rifles stopprf off at the FIDF Hall while on a visit to the area in Stanley on Wednesday, 19 November 2014.
- 86: COUNCILLOR CHRISTINE SCIPIO-O’DEAN RETURNS FROM OVERSEAS CONFERENCE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.11.2014
- Councillor Christine Scipio-O’Dean recently returned to the Island having attended the 60th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference and 34th Small Branches Conference in Cameroon, in October of this year.
The 34th Small Branches Conference comprised of three plenary sessions:
- 87: PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL COMMEMORATES REMEMBRANCE DAY - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- Prince Andrew School commemorated Remembrance Day in a special assembly, led by students from Year 12, on Tuesday 11 November 2014.
- 88: LIFELONG LEARNING CERTIFICATE PRESENTATION 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- The Lifelong Learning Awards Ceremony was held on Thursday, 13 November 2014 at the Education Learning Centre. Awards went to individuals who participated and completed the Livelihoods Programme, Apprenticeship Scheme and NVQs in Customer Service, Crop Production, Health and Social Care, Environmental Conservation, Land Based and Business Administration.
- 89: ENHANCING SAFE FLIGHTS WITH UK MET OFFICE WEATHER FORECAST SERVICE - St Helena (Business News) - 14.11.2014
- Today, it has been announced that the operations of St Helena Airport will be supported by the UK Met Office, one of the world's foremost weather and climate service providers. The UK Met Office will be responsible for providing an on-Island weather forecasting service.
- 90: St Helena: CLOSURE OF CUSTOMS TAX AND PORT MANAGEMENT BUILDING - St Helena (Business News) - 13.11.2014
- The public is advised that the Customs, Tax and Port Management building will be closed
- 91: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 12 November 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 12.11.2014
- First paper we discussed was setting Fishing Access Fees for 2015. John Barton, Director of Natural Resources attended and MLA Rendell excused herself for this discussion.
- 92: St Helena MAJOR INCIDENT EXERCISE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 11.11.2014
- As previously announced in June of this year, SHG and the private sector are gearing up for a major incident exercise to be held on St Helena on Wednesday 17 December 2014.
- 93: SOCIETY OF EDITORS’ LECTURE GIVEN BY SIR ALAN MOSES - Falklands (Legal) - 09.11.2014
- Since it is Sunday you are, no doubt, expecting a sermon. Something from me stern and formidable, delivered from on high, in tales of rebuke, threatening all with hell-fire, damnation and warning you that you are all going to burn.
- 94: JOINT MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE – PROGRESS REPORT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 07.11.2014
- St Helena Government has uploaded its progress report on the commitments made at the Joint Ministerial Conference in 2013.
- 95: St Helena: ACTING GOVERNOR TAKES THE OATHS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 06.11.2014
- Head of the Governor’s Office, Sean Burns, this afternoon took the prescribed Oaths as Acting Governor, in the presence of the Acting Sheriff of St Helena, Mr Harry Legg OBE JP,
- 96: STEDSON FRANCIS RECEIVES BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL - St Helena (Heritage) - 05.11.2014
- At a special dinner, hosted by HE Governor Capes last evening (4 November 2014), Stedson Graham Francis of Thompsons Wood was formally presented with his British Empire Medal (BEM), awarded to him under HM Queen’s Birthday Honours in June of this year.
- 97: BUDGETARY AID MISSION DRAWS TO A CLOSE - St Helena (Business News) - 05.11.2014
- The DFID Budgetary Aid Mission (BAM) comprising team members, Senior Economic Adviser, Doug Winslow, Senior Social Development Adviser, Mary Thompson and St Helena Programme Manager, David Finan depart the Island tomorrow (6 November 2014) having held discussions for agreeing a three year budget for St Helena.
- 98: The Falkland Islands Tourist Board Bill 2014 - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 04.11.2014
- This Bill has been published in the Falkland Islands Gazette and went to a second reading. The debate follows
- 99: LANDSCAPE & ECOLOGY MITIGATION PROGRAMME PROGRESSING WELL (LEMP) - St Helena (Agriculture) - 04.11.2014
- The Landscape & Ecology Mitigation Programme (LEMP), part of St Helena Government’s Airport Project, is progressing well, with new staff recruitments, facilities and plants.
- 100: Falklands Retirement Pensions up for Consultation - Falklands (Business News) - 14.10.2014
- A public consultation will be carried out by the Falkland Islands Government between the 20th October and the 7th November 2014,
- 101: New Senior Magistrate and Coroner for the Falklands Appointed - Falklands (Legal) - 07.10.2014
- Mrs Clare Faulds, no stranger to the Falklands, has been selected for the role of Senior Magistrate and Coroner to the Falkland Islands and South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands.
- 102: St Helena - EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 23.09.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 23 September, for a special meeting to consider the development of a hotel in Jamestown.
- 103: NEW FALKLANDS’ MUSEUM OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.09.2014
- After decades of planning, and a huge amount of dedication from the Falkland Islands Museum and National Trust (FIMNT) and supporters, the Falkland Islands’ new Historic Dockyard Museum is nearing completion.
- 104: DEMINING TO CONTINUE IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Environment) - 10.09.2014
- A representative from Baric Consultants, Alistair Craib, an FCO Advisor, Jeremy Wilmshurst and several operators interested in bidding for two Falklands’ demining contracts have been visiting the Falklands this week.
- 105: MLA MICHAEL POOLE ATTENDING SMALL ISLANDS DEVELOPING STATES CONFERENCE IN SAMOA - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 01.09.2014
- MLA Michael Poole is currently overseas attending the United Nations Third International Conference on Small Islands Developing States (SIDS) in Apia, Samoa. The theme for the conference is ‘the sustainable development of Small Island Developing States through genuine and durable partnerships.’
- 106: BAS Fur Seal Conclusions Challenged - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 25.08.2014
- Claims by a BAS scientist that South Georgia’s Antarctic fur seals are suffering as a consequence of a decline in krill abundance associated with climate change has been challenged by the South Georgia Government and by DEFRAs Chief Scientist.
- 107: PUBLIC PROCESS FOR CRIMINAL PROCEDURE & EVIDENCE BILL AND THE CRIMES BILL - Falklands (Legal) - 15.08.2014
- The next stage of development for the Criminal Procedure and Evidence Bill and the Crimes Bill began with the Bills being placed in the Gazette on the 15th August 2014.
- 108: St Helena: GOVERNOR WELCOMES NEW SENIOR COLLEAGUES - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 23.06.2014
- HE Governor Capes formally welcomed the new Chief Secretary, Roy Burke and his wife Jill, and the new DfID resident Representative Morgan Riley - at a reception at Plantation House on Friday 20 June 2014
- 109: PINK RUNS OVERTAKE THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Health) - 21.05.2014
- Stanley saw PINK on Sunday when 171 members of the public wore all shades of the colour and ran in support of breast cancer awareness.
- 110: INTRODUCTION TO THE RT HON KENNETH CLARKE’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY LORD BLACK OF BRENTWOOD - Falklands (Business News) - 16.11.2011
- Before introducing our keynote speaker I am very grateful for the opportunity that Robin (Esser) has given me to just very briefly to draw your attention to an important report that has just been published today which focuses on press freedom issues on shores of countries where challenges to press freedom are even more intense and often literally a matter of life and death.
- 111: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 112: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 113: FORTUNA SEAFOODS Invests for the Future - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 22.03.2011
- As part of an ongoing programme of market development Fortuna Seafoods have recently been investing in promoting Falkland seafood products in the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- 114: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 115: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 116: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 117: SHOULD CHRISTIAN VALUES BE CHOPPED FROM ST HELENA’S CONSTITUTION? - Tristan (Legal) - 21.10.2009
- A recent debate in the Foreign Affairs Committee about the Constitutions of British Overseas Territories has sparked interest in territories in the South Atlantic.
- 118: Jobless and Poverty Rates are key to Economic Recovery - All (Business News) - 12.08.2009
- Policy makers in the US Federal Reserve Bank are sitting down to discuss – amongst other things – interest rates, which are expected to remain the same at near zero percent. Also on the agenda, couched in eco-speak, is a concluding summary on the state of economy. SARTMA wonders – whose economy – theirs or ours.
- 119: ARGENTINE CLAIMS TO FALKLANDS SEABED CONTAINS NOTHING NEW - Falklands (Business News) - 25.04.2009
- Both Argentina and the United Kingdom are claiming a vast area of seabed from South America to the Antarctic in their latest bids for control of the South Atlantic.
- 120: DIRECTOR OF MINERALS AND AGRICULTURE REPORT FOR MARCH/APRIL - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 20.04.2009
- Borders & Southern Petroleum Limited (BSP), who successfully completed environmental surveys in their licensed area by contracting Benthic Solutions Limited to gather seabed samples in late 2008, are now analysing the data for inclusion in an Environmental Impact Assessment.
- 121: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 122: HYDROCARBONS WEEKEND RECORD: 11 AND 12 NOVEMBER 2006 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 12.11.2006
- Several of Bolivia’s companies and agencies that have benefited from the May 1st nationalisation of hydrocarbons are about to give a school bonus to approximately 1,200,000 children. The $25.00 (200 Bolivianos) is earmarked for helping families with food and school expenditures. The South American press indicated the sum will be given to the children on an annual basis. Payments began at 300 schools on Sunday, 12 November 2006.
- 123: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 124: Sartma Daily (30/08/05) - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.08.2005
- A quick overview of South Atlantic News
- 125: Postcode Not So New For Tristan - Tristan (Business News) - 10.08.2005
- One of the nice things about having a Tristanian working for SARTMA is that the record can be set straight about various things, including the Island’s postcode. TDCU 1ZZ has been available for at least 18 months.
Photo (c) James Glass Tristan Times - the building that houses the Tristan Post Office
- 126: Poaching Threatens Tristan da Cunha's Hurricane Recovery - Tristan (Fisheries) - 12.06.2005
- Any way you look at it, poachers who steal Tristan da Cunha's lobster as well as other maritime resources and offload them in Cape Town have cost the people hundreds of thousands of pounds a year in lost revenue.
Photos (C) James Glass (Tristan Times) - Calshot Hatbour as it looks today.
- 127: GRYTVIKEN WASTE REMOVAL: AN EXERCISE IN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION - S.Georgia (Health) - 30.04.2004
- You might think that removing the dangerous bits of Grytviken’s whaling station would mean the total clearance of all that was brought to the site in the early part of the last century but you would be wrong.
Photos (C) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG) and Vladimir Seliverstov - The Albatrosss and Dias before and after.
- 128: South Georgia Fishery: Success and Tragedy - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 28.04.2004
- In this second extensive interview with Patrick Lurcock, the Marine Officer for the 200-Mile South Georgia Fishery Zone, SARTMA has been able to update readers on the progress that the South Georgia fishery has made.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG)
- 129: Tristan da Cunha: The Way Tristanians Tell It - Tristan (Agriculture) - 07.01.2004
- Daniel Schreier and Karen Lavarello-Schreier have written an informative book about Tristan da Cunha, its people, way of life and language.
- 130: The Unseen Consequence of Longline Poaching - Tristan (Fisheries) - 15.08.2003
- People, as they should be, are angry about poaching but what of the sad spin-off?
Photo (c) COLTO An Illegal Toothfish Longliner poaching in the Southern Ocean.
- 131: A Zodiac Tour of Boatswainbird Island - Ascension (Tourism/Travel) - 10.08.2003
- The little islet off the coast of Ascension Island is called Boatswainbird Island. M/S ENDEAVOUR organised a zodiac tour of the islet.
Photo (C) J. Brock (SARTMA) Yet another lava bridge and a great photo op.
- 132: A Zodiac Tour Of Gough Island - Tristan (Tourism/Travel) - 07.07.2003
- Though no landings were permitted on Gough Island, the crew and passengers of M/S ENDEAVOUR were able to do a zodiac tour with some spectacular results.
Photos (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 133: South Georgia Residents Rescue Stranded Fishermen - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 23.05.2003
- The residents of South Georgia had their hands full earlier this month when three ships ran aground in bad weather. Two are still there.
Photo (c) Dr. Sue Dowling - The cast of characters who winter over in South Georgia in 2003:
Back (L-R)Tim Carr, Pauline Car, Suzi Hawkins, Rich Mitchell
Middle (L-R) Howie Owen, John Clemens,Frin Ross, Sarah Lurcock, Ian Parsons
Front (L-R)Sue Dowling, Andy Godsell, Rob Gater, Pat Lurcock
- 134: South Georgia Maritime Zone: A Successful Partnership - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 07.04.2003
- The second half of the South Georgia Maritime Zone's marriage of management and science is carried out in a lab and on fishing boats.
- 135: South Georgia Management Zone: - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- A Successful Marriage of Management and Science!
Find out why management and science are needed for a top - class fishery.
- 136: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.