|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | All Islands|
ALL ISLANDS: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (149) - Archived (5961) - All (6110)
- 1: Adjournment Debate Legislative Council 30th March 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 01.04.2015
- I rise in support of this adjournment debate, last week was a week of some important announcements for the Island, our Air Service was announced the contract for Hospital Redevelopment was signed and of course Mantis is back on-board as our Hotel operator, very good news for St Helena.
- 2: CONVENTION ON BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY EXTENDED TO SOUTH GEORGIA AND THE SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 27.03.2015
- The Government of South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands (GSGSSI) is delighted to announce the declaration of the extension of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) to South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands.
- 3: THE PORTFOLIO REPORT OF THE HON MR ROGER EDWARDS, MLA (26/03/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Colleagues – Mr Speaker it is my opportunity to provide an update on the work of the Law and Regulation Directorate.
- 4: RESPONSES TO THE HON MR ROGER EDWARDS’ PORTFOLIO REPORT (26/03/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable Members. I have just one comment and a question, if you don’t mind.
- 5: PORTFOLIO REPORT OF THE HON MR IAN HANSEN, MLA (26/03/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in my quarterly portfolio update I will begin with a few points from Central Services. I will just run through them briefly and there are some things that may be of interest to people.
- 6: THE DEBATE ON THE HON IAN HANSEN’S PORTFOLIO REPORT (26/03/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Mr Speaker, I thank the Honourable Ian Hansen for that update on his portfolio. He mentioned the Stanley Services move to upgrading the fuel supply at Fox Bay which I welcome.
- 7: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MR MIKE SUMMERS (26/03/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I have a couple of issues to raise today, to note that representatives of the Lucy Faithful Foundation who prepared the original report into Child Safeguarding in the Falklands and who provided the blueprint for much of the work that has been carrying on in recent weeks are back here again.
- 8: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MRS PHYL RENDELL (26/03/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- I would first like to comment on FIMCO and the Abattoir as we are currently half way through the export season. Talking to the General Manager, he tells me that the processing is going well this year.
- 9: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MRS JAN CHEEK (26/03/15)) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, firstly I would like to say I welcome the report of the Honourable Mike Summers of the work that’s being done on care for older people although I hope I won’t need it for many, many more years to come.
- 10: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MR IAN HANSEN (26/03/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I shall be very brief as I seem to have done a lot more talking today than I normally do so I said most of the things I would be saying in my speech for adjournment.
- 11: Falklands Executive Council: Wednesday 25 March 2015 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- The first paper of the day was a joint report from the Policy Unit and Marine Officer about amendments to and updating of Marine Legislation.
- 12: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY THURSDAY, 26 MARCH 2015 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Transcript by 100X Transcription Service and Commentary by J. Brock (FINN)
- 13: 26 MARCH 2015: Questions for Oral Response - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.03.2015
- Question No. 4/15 by the Honourable Gavin Short:
Mr Speaker, could the Honourable Ian Hansen please inform the House of the following:
- 14: STATEMENT FROM DR THE HON BARRY ELSBY, MLA - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 25.03.2015
- “The Falkland Islands Government welcomes the Secretary of State for Defence’s statement today in the House.
- 15: ‘State of the Economy’ and ‘Living Wage’ Reports Published - Falklands (Business News) - 25.03.2015
- The Policy Unit is pleased to announce that two new documents will be published this week: ‘The State of the Falkland Islands Economy’ and the ‘A Living Wage for the Falkland Islands.’
- 16: ROAD CLOSURE AT BUTTON-UP CORNER - St Helena (Business News) - 25.03.2015
- Following a recent road traffic accident, the Highway Authority has approved the closure of the Seaview Road
- 17: COUNCILLOR HENRY REPORTS ON 13TH OCT-EU FORUM - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 24.03.2015
- Councillor Lawson Henry returned to the Island on Tuesday 10 March 2015, having attended a series of trilateral meetings, the Ministerial Conference and the 13th OCT-EU Forum
- 18: PARENTS PROTECT AWARENESS SESSION - St Helena (Health) - 23.03.2015
- A Parents Protect Awareness Session will be held at the Jamestown Community Centre tomorrow evening, Tuesday 24 March 2015,
- 19: FINAL BLAST AT AIRPORT SITE - St Helena (Business News) - 23.03.2015
- The final rock blast for the St Helena Airport Project took place at the Airport site, Prosperous Bay Plain, at 5.20pm on
- 20: WHARF ACCESS: THURSDAY - 2 APRIL 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 23.03.2015
- As is normal, there will be some limitations to accessing the Wharf on Maundy Thursday, 2 April 2015.
- 21: Malo River bridge reopened - Falklands (Business News) - 21.03.2015
- The Public Works Department is pleased to announce the reopening of the Malo River bridge to its full capacity of 38 tonnes, after repair work was completed Saturday afternoon, March 21.
- 22: DIPLOMAS AND CERTIFICATES PRESENTED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE (15/03/19) - Falklands (Business News) - 19.03.2015
- Though it has been about six times Sandra Tyler-Haywood has presented certificates at Government House, it amazes her to see the wide range of qualifications earned by students at the Training Centre.
- 23: INCOME TAX (AMENDMENT) BILL 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 18.03.2015
- The Income Tax (Amendment) Bill 2015 will be presented at the next Formal Session of Legislative Council, on Friday, 27 March 2015.
- 24: BR CERTIFICATION & OPERATIONAL READINESS MANAGER VISITS - St Helena (Business News) - 17.03.2015
- Basil Read’s Certification & Operational Readiness Manager, Simon Walker, arrived on St Helena, today Tuesday 17 March 2015, to discuss plans for Airport Certification and Operational Readiness.
- 25: AIR SERVICES TO ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 16.03.2015
- SHG and DFID are pleased to announce the appointment of Comair Limited as the preferred bidder for the provision of air services to St Helena.
- 26: VISITING PSYCHIATRIST FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Health) - 16.03.2015
- Professor Brian Robertson, Emeritus Professor at the Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town, will be making his annual visit to St Helena, arriving on Monday 30 March and departing on 27 April 2015.
- 27: Falkland Islands Historic Dockyard Museum shortlisted - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.03.2015
- THE Falkland Islands Museum & National Trust is very proud to announce that the Historic Dockyard Museum has been shortlisted in the International category of the Museums + Heritage Awards for Excellence 2015.
- 28: Executive Council: Wednesday 11 March 2015 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 11.03.2015
- When reading the minutes from the previous ExCo meeting, it was noted that the Joint Policy Statement governing civilian use of the airbridge is still being finalised for signature by relevant UK Ministers.
- 29: Falklands Celebrate A Young Commonwealth - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.03.2015
- Young Falkland Islands students studying in the United Kingdom, Kalon Jaffray and Jessica McPhee will be attending the Commonwealth Day events in London.
- 30: EBONY VIEW MAKES GOOD PROGRESS - St Helena (Heritage) - 10.03.2015
- The refurbishment of Ebony View (Ex-Half Tree Hollow School), the new home for residents of the Challenging Behaviour Unit (CBU) at Sundale, is making good progress, with residents expected to move into their new home later this month.
- 31: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 10 MARCH 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 10.03.2015
- There was one item for discussion on the Open Agenda
- 32: Commonwealth Day 2015: Message from Her Majesty The Queen - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.03.2015
- One simple lesson from history is that when people come together to talk, to exchange ideas and to develop common goals, wonderful things can happen.
- 33: FALKLAND ISLANDS YOUTH PARLIAMENT Monday, 09 March 2015 - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.03.2015
- A meeting of the Falkland islands Youth Parliament took place in the court and Assembly chamber of the Town Hall at 1400hrs on Monday, 09 March 2015.
- 34: COMMONWEALTH DAY 2015 – A YOUNG COMMONWEALTH - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.03.2015
- Today, Monday 9 March 2015, is Commonwealth Day – a day when the 53 member nations of the Commonwealth take part in national Commonwealth activities focused around the theme of ‘A Young Commonwealth’.
- 35: NEW HEALTH SERVICE STAFF - St Helena (Health) - 06.03.2015
- The St Helena General Hospital has recently welcomed two new Doctors to their Health Service Team.
- 36: PAMELA WARD PEARCE ELECTED AS MEMBER OF LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 05.03.2015
- Pamela Ward Pearce of Longwood has been duly elected to serve as a Member of the St Helena Legislative Council.
- 37: TURTLE NESTS AT SANDY BAY BEACH - St Helena (Environment) - 05.03.2015
- The Marine Conservation Section, of the Environmental Management Division, has today identified that green turtles have been attempting to nest in the Sandy Bay Beach area.
- 38: St Helena Airport: first aircraft to land in July 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 05.03.2015
- The very first aeroplane landing on St Helena's new airport...sthelenaonline.org
- 39: CHANGES TO ACCESS TO THE SOUTH ATLANTIC AIRBRIDGE (SAA) - Falklands (Business News) - 04.03.2015
- The MOD has applied limitations to the right to travel on the South Atlantic Air-bridge to certain nationalities.
- 40: DIRECTOR OF EMERGENCY SERVICES RESIGNS - Falklands (Business News) - 03.03.2015
- Barry Marsden has confirmed that he has tendered his resignation from his post as Director of Emergency Services and has notified the Chief Executive of the intention.
- 41: LADDER HILL ROAD CLOSURE – SUNDAY 8 MARCH 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 03.03.2015
- Following a recent road traffic accident, the Highway Authority has
- 42: NEWLY APPOINTED SENIOR SOCIAL WORKER - St Helena (Health) - 03.03.2015
- Arriving to the Island on Thursday, 26 February 2015, was Senior Social Worker, Stephanie Jones (photo attached).
- 43: The Jin Yi investigation: An Update - Falklands (Fisheries) - 02.03.2015
- Seven Vietnamese fishermen were repatriated after leaving their fishing boat by jumping into Port William harbour and swimming ashore. Their fishing vessel;
- 44: TEMPORARY PAUSE IN CONSTRUCTION WORKS - St Helena (Business News) - 02.03.2015
- During the course of early construction at the Half Tree Hollow
- 45: NEW APPOINTED SENIOR SOCIAL WORKER - St Helena (Health) - 02.03.2015
- Arrived to the island on the 26 February 2015 was Senior Social Worker Stephanie Jones who is based at Brick House, Upper Jamestown.
- 46: FREE CONFIDENTIAL TELEPHONE SUPPORT SERVICE NOW AVAILABLE - St Helena (Health) - 02.03.2015
- St Helena Government (SHG) in partnership with UK Charity, Samaritans, and SURE South Atlantic Ltd are pleased to announce that a free and confidential telephone support service is now available. The telephone number for this service is 20000.
- 47: POLLING DAY – WEDNESDAY 4 MARCH 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 02.03.2015
- St Helena will go to the Polls to elect a new Member to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council.
- 48: APPRENTICESHIP AWARENESS WORKSHOP - St Helena (Business News) - 02.03.2015
- An Apprenticeship Awareness Workshop was held, for the first time, on Thursday 26 February 2015, at the Education Learning Centre in Jamestown.
- 49: MANAGEMENT TRAINING FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 02.03.2015
- A cross section of employees from both the public and private sector have recently undergone intense management training with visiting trainer, Bruce MacDonald, on behalf of the Graduate School of Business from the University of Cape Town.
- 50: GRAHAM FRANCE: 1934 - 2015 - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.03.2015
- Graham France was born in 1934 in Horsham, West Sussex, England, UK. He left Worthing High School in 1950
- 51: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY THURSDAY, 26 FEBRUARY 2015 (Beginning Stages) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- A meeting of legislative Assembly took place at 0900hrs on Thursday, 26 February 2015 in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall. Present were the Hon Speaker, Mr Keith Biles, the Acting Clerk of Council, Mrs Cheri Clifford, the Financial Secretary, Mrs Nicola Granger, the Chief Executive Mr Keith Padgett and the Attorney General, Mr Peter Judge, QC. MLAs present were Cheek, Elsby, Hansen, Poole, Rendell, Short and Summers.
- 52: PORTFOLIO REPORT OF THE HON MRS JAN CHEEK, MLA (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I will start this time with FIDC. They are almost fully staffed now.
- 53: DEBATE ON THE HON MRS CHEEK’S PORTFOLIO REPORT (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- PR: Mr Speaker, I would like to thank the Honourable Jan Cheek for her report.
- 54: PORTFOLIO REPORT OF DR THE HON BARRY ELSBY (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, my portfolio responsibilities are for Education as well as Art and Culture.
- 55: DEBATE ON DR THE HON BARRY ELSBY’S PORTFOLIO REPORT (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- JC: I would like to go back to the written answer I received to a supplementary question. This written answer is public, so I am not giving away any secrets here.
- 56: Legislative Assembly Question for Written Answer Number 01/2015 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Please could the Honourable Dr Barry Elsby advise what is being done to cover vacancies in the secondary school in the interim while substantive post holders are being recruited?
- 57: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH by The Hon Mrs Jan Cheek, MLA (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, to start on a serious note, we were all reminded at Monday’s public meeting of the real concern that many still have when they are faced with the flag waving and other activities of some Argentine visitors.
- 58: Motion for Adjournment Speech by The Hon Mr Gavin Short MLA: (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, my apologies for being last; I was in a world of my own mostly.
- 59: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MRS PHYLL RENDELL (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion I would like to, as portfolio holder for Fisheries, make some comments about the events of last week when sadly 9 Vietnamese Fishermen jumped from 2 Taiwanese vessels in our harbours.
- 60: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY THE HON MR IAN HANSEN MLA (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Mr speaker, Honourable Members, In rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to begin by thanking the Honourable Phyll Rendell for those remarks and I am pretty sure that most of what she has said, I hope, will go some way to challenging the perception that FIG and the industry are doing nothing about the terrible incident that has happened.
- 61: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR MIKE SUMMERS (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- I would just like to thank all the emergency services who took part in the events of last week.
- 62: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OFDR THE HON BARRY ELSBY (26/02/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I will be even briefer.
- 63: Falklands: Report: Executive Council held on Wednesday 25 February 2015 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 25.02.2015
- Firstly, four papers related to Premier Oil’s drilling programme were discussed. The Director of Mineral Resources and the Environmental Planning Officer attended for these items.
- 64: ORGANISATIONAL CHANGES IN PORT CONTROL SECTION - St Helena (Shipping/Freight) - 24.02.2015
- The public is advised that due to organisational changes within the Port Control Section (Office of the Harbourmaster) St Helena, the following personnel can be contacted via their new email addresses, detailed below.
- 65: POLLING DAY NEXT WEEK - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 24.02.2015
- The public is reminded that a Bye-election will take place on Wednesday 4 March 2015 when St Helena will go to the Polls to elect a new Member to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council.
- 66: South Georgia: Unexpected Overnight Visitors - S.Georgia (Tourism/Travel) - 23.02.2015
- A large party of tourists, trapped ashore by strong winds, had to be accommodated at Grytviken for the night on January 23rd.
- 67: RAF Search and Rescue crew honoured in 2015 military awards - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.02.2015
- TWO members of a Royal Air Force (RAF) Search and Rescue team who found and rescued a fisherman lost overboard near the Falkland Islands have been honoured in the latest round of military awards.
- 68: OFFICIAL LIST OF CANDIDATES FOR BYE- ELECTION 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 18.02.2015
- The Elections Ordinance 2009 provides for Nominations to be delivered to the Returning Officer by no later than noon on the last day appointed for the Nomination of Candidates. The closing date for nominations for the 2015 Bye-election (to be held on Wednesday 4 March 2015) was today, Wednesday 18 February 2015.
- 69: CONTINGENCY PLAN TESTED TWICE IN ONE WEEK - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2015
- On Thursday, 12 February 2015, a planned major incident exercise took place where the emergency and port services
- 70: RECEIVING POST FROM AND VIA SOUTH AFRICA - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2015
- The St Helena Post Office would like to advise their customers that they have not received any official report from the Authorities in South Africa as to the reasons for the delays in receiving post from and via South Africa.
- 71: SAFEGUARDING STATEMENT FROM CHAIRMAN OF SOCIAL AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE - St Helena (Health) - 17.02.2015
- As you will be aware, St Helena has attracted considerable negative publicity recently, depicting our Island as a place where child abuse is tolerated and not properly addressed by Government agencies. This is simply not true!
- 72: ORGANISATIONAL CHANGES IN PORT CONTROL SECTION - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2015
- The public is advised that due to organisational changes within the Port Control Section (Office of the Harbourmaster) St Helena, the following personnel can be contacted via their new email addresses, detailed below.
- 73: ELECTED MEMBERS AND SENIOR SHG OFFICIALS VISIT AIRPORT SITE - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 16.02.2015
- Elected Members visited the St Helena Airport site on Friday, 13 February 2015, following their quarterly Airport Project progress presentation by the SHG Access Office.
- 74: BYE-ELECTION: DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS - WEDNESDAY 18 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2015
- The public is reminded that the last day and time for receiving Nominations to elect a Member to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council is 12 noon on Wednesday, 18 February 2015.
- 75: COUNCILLORS’ CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS IN FEBRUARY/MARCH - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 16.02.2015
- Councillors are holding a series of constituency meetings during February and early March 2015.
- 76: CONTROLLED ROCK REMOVAL – WEST ROCKS - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2015
- On Wednesday morning, 18 February 2015, Rock Guards, from the Environment and Natural Resources Directorate (ENRD), will conduct a controlled rock removal operation in the West Rocks area.
- 77: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 17 December 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 19.12.2014
- When reading the minutes from the previous ExCo meeting, it was noted that, with regard to the FM radio service, a transmitter had been installed at Port Howard and it was working well.
- 78: SHIPPING - POST-RMS FREIGHT SERVICES UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 10.12.2014
- The public will be aware of recent visits from potential Ocean Freight Services providers Seafast, Hartman Project Lines (HPL) and Meihuizen Atlantic Islands Services (MAIS) between October and November this year.
- 79: ST HELENA SUPREME COURT CONCLUDES - St Helena (Legal) - 10.12.2014
- At the conclusion of the current sitting of the St Helena Supreme Court on Monday (8 December 2014), St Helena Government and the St Helena Police Service welcomed the sentences handed down by the Chief Justice, and hope this sends a clear message to the community.
- 80: Joint Ministerial Council Communiqué 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 03.12.2014
- The political leaders and representatives of the UK and the Overseas Territories met as the Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London on 2 and 3 December. We welcomed the newly elected leader of the Government of Montserrat to his first Council.
- 81: British and German Relatives Attend the Anniversary of the Battle of the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.12.2014
- British and German relatives of Adm. Sturdee, Adm. Craddock and Adm. Graff Spee attended a week long commemoration of the 1914 Battle of the Falkland Islands.
- 82: FORCES TV AVAILABLE TO FALKLAND ISLANDS VIEWERS - Falklands (Business News) - 01.12.2014
- From the 1st December 2014, British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) was broadcasting an additional TV channel, Forces TV, for viewers in the Falkland Islands.
- 83: RECRUITMENT ONGOING FOR JUSTICES OF THE PEACE - Falklands (Legal) - 01.12.2014
- Recruitment is underway to encourage more members of the community to serve as Justices of the Peace with the Courts and Tribunals Service. Justices of the Peace provide an essential public service within the community, hearing a range of criminal and non-criminal cases in the Summary Court.
- 84: NEW SAFEGUARDING DIRECTORATE TO LAUNCH & CBU RENAMED - St Helena (Legal) - 28.11.2014
- As previously announced, a new Safeguarding Directorate will be created in SHG from Monday 1 December 2014, the purpose of which is to - Protect and Safeguard Vulnerable Children, Young People and Adults at Risk or Suffering From Abuse.
- 85: CORPORATE SUPPORT THANKS POPPY APPEAL DONATORS - St Helena (Business News) - 28.11.2014
- Corporate Support staff would like to extend sincere thanks to everyone who supported this year’s fundraising in aid of the 2014 Poppy Appeal Fund and to all who attended the Remembrance Service on Sunday 9 November 2014.
- 86: WHARF USAGE - REMINDER - St Helena (Business News) - 27.11.2014
- The public is reminded that no unathorised vehicles can be parked on the Wharf after working hours (ie from 4pm to 8.30am Monday to Friday). Similarly at weekends, the Wharf will be closed from 4pm Friday afternoon through to Monday morning at 8.30pm.
- 87: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 26 November 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.11.2014
- The Rolling Action Log was reviewed as normal before the papers for the day. Members sought an update on when the Disciplinary Code for the Judiciary and the Framework Agreement (setting out the responsibilities of the executive branch of Government in respect of the Courts) would be published.
- 88: ATTORNEY GENERAL SWORN IN - St Helena (Legal) - 26.11.2014
- On 26 November 2014, Nicola Moore was sworn in as Attorney General for St Helena, taking the required Oaths necessary to serve on Executive and Legislative Councils, in the presence of Acting Governor Sean Burns.
- 89: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 25 NOVEMBER - St Helena (Legal) - 25.11.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 25 November 2014, to consider three items on the open agenda.
- 90: ANDREW WEIR GROUP ANNOUNCES SALE OF SHIPPING LINE - St Helena (Business News) - 21.11.2014
- The owners of the Andrew Weir Group (AWG) recently embarked on a financial restructuring exercise to enable a debt owed to the Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund (MNOPF) to be cleared and to move forward on other core non-marine activities.
- 91: 3 Way Archery Postal Shoot – a Victory for the Falklands Team - Falklands (Education) - 21.11.2014
- Yet another first for the Falklands and the Falklands Archery Association happened this week with members taking part in a 3 way Handicapped ‘Portsmouth’ Postal Shoot against 2 other UK based archery clubs...Mike McLeod tells us more
- 92: SUPREME COURT IN SESSION - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- The formal opening of the St Helena Supreme Court took place yesterday, Tuesday 18 November, at 2pm. Various Civil and Criminal cases will be heard by the Supreme Court until Wednesday 10 December 2014.
- 93: SHG Concerns about unauthorised Access Road use - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- In recent weeks, there has been a considerable increase in the unauthorised use of the Airport Access Road, leading to concerns about the safety of the public and protection of the environment.
- 94: SHG UK REPRESENTATIVE’S OFFICE - NEW CONTACT DETAILS - St Helena (Business News) - 18.11.2014
The public is advised that the SHG UK Representative, Mrs Kedell Worboys MBE and her team will be moving office on Thursday 20 November 2014.
- 95: St HELENA GIS DAY 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Day is a worldwide event held every year in more than 80 countries across the world.
- 96: St Helena: Good news for the General Hospital - St Helena (Health) - 18.11.2014
- 2 Articles The St Helena General Hospital has recently received two new operating tables from the Lund University Hospital in Sweden, sourced by the Medico Technical Engineer, Jorgen Larsson from the Swedish Hospital where our Senior Medical Officer, Dr Attila Frigyesi hails from.
- 97: OFSTED SCHOOLS INSPECTION COMPLETED IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Education) - 18.11.2014
- As Part of the Schools Inspection process the Education Department Welcomed HMI Mr Mike Chislett an inspector from the education regulator Ofsted to the Falklands as part of the schools' inspection process..
- 98: Members of A Company, the Rifles try their hand at Archery in the Falklands - Falklands (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Twelve members of members of A Company, The Rifles stopprf off at the FIDF Hall while on a visit to the area in Stanley on Wednesday, 19 November 2014.
- 99: COUNCILLOR CHRISTINE SCIPIO-O’DEAN RETURNS FROM OVERSEAS CONFERENCE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.11.2014
- Councillor Christine Scipio-O’Dean recently returned to the Island having attended the 60th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference and 34th Small Branches Conference in Cameroon, in October of this year.
The 34th Small Branches Conference comprised of three plenary sessions:
- 100: PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL COMMEMORATES REMEMBRANCE DAY - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- Prince Andrew School commemorated Remembrance Day in a special assembly, led by students from Year 12, on Tuesday 11 November 2014.
- 101: LIFELONG LEARNING CERTIFICATE PRESENTATION 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- The Lifelong Learning Awards Ceremony was held on Thursday, 13 November 2014 at the Education Learning Centre. Awards went to individuals who participated and completed the Livelihoods Programme, Apprenticeship Scheme and NVQs in Customer Service, Crop Production, Health and Social Care, Environmental Conservation, Land Based and Business Administration.
- 102: ENHANCING SAFE FLIGHTS WITH UK MET OFFICE WEATHER FORECAST SERVICE - St Helena (Business News) - 14.11.2014
- Today, it has been announced that the operations of St Helena Airport will be supported by the UK Met Office, one of the world's foremost weather and climate service providers. The UK Met Office will be responsible for providing an on-Island weather forecasting service.
- 103: St Helena: CLOSURE OF CUSTOMS TAX AND PORT MANAGEMENT BUILDING - St Helena (Business News) - 13.11.2014
- The public is advised that the Customs, Tax and Port Management building will be closed
- 104: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 12 November 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 12.11.2014
- First paper we discussed was setting Fishing Access Fees for 2015. John Barton, Director of Natural Resources attended and MLA Rendell excused herself for this discussion.
- 105: St Helena MAJOR INCIDENT EXERCISE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 11.11.2014
- As previously announced in June of this year, SHG and the private sector are gearing up for a major incident exercise to be held on St Helena on Wednesday 17 December 2014.
- 106: SOCIETY OF EDITORS’ LECTURE GIVEN BY SIR ALAN MOSES - Falklands (Legal) - 09.11.2014
- Since it is Sunday you are, no doubt, expecting a sermon. Something from me stern and formidable, delivered from on high, in tales of rebuke, threatening all with hell-fire, damnation and warning you that you are all going to burn.
- 107: JOINT MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE – PROGRESS REPORT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 07.11.2014
- St Helena Government has uploaded its progress report on the commitments made at the Joint Ministerial Conference in 2013.
- 108: St Helena: ACTING GOVERNOR TAKES THE OATHS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 06.11.2014
- Head of the Governor’s Office, Sean Burns, this afternoon took the prescribed Oaths as Acting Governor, in the presence of the Acting Sheriff of St Helena, Mr Harry Legg OBE JP,
- 109: STEDSON FRANCIS RECEIVES BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL - St Helena (Heritage) - 05.11.2014
- At a special dinner, hosted by HE Governor Capes last evening (4 November 2014), Stedson Graham Francis of Thompsons Wood was formally presented with his British Empire Medal (BEM), awarded to him under HM Queen’s Birthday Honours in June of this year.
- 110: BUDGETARY AID MISSION DRAWS TO A CLOSE - St Helena (Business News) - 05.11.2014
- The DFID Budgetary Aid Mission (BAM) comprising team members, Senior Economic Adviser, Doug Winslow, Senior Social Development Adviser, Mary Thompson and St Helena Programme Manager, David Finan depart the Island tomorrow (6 November 2014) having held discussions for agreeing a three year budget for St Helena.
- 111: The Falkland Islands Tourist Board Bill 2014 - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 04.11.2014
- This Bill has been published in the Falkland Islands Gazette and went to a second reading. The debate follows
- 112: LANDSCAPE & ECOLOGY MITIGATION PROGRAMME PROGRESSING WELL (LEMP) - St Helena (Agriculture) - 04.11.2014
- The Landscape & Ecology Mitigation Programme (LEMP), part of St Helena Government’s Airport Project, is progressing well, with new staff recruitments, facilities and plants.
- 113: Falklands Retirement Pensions up for Consultation - Falklands (Business News) - 14.10.2014
- A public consultation will be carried out by the Falkland Islands Government between the 20th October and the 7th November 2014,
- 114: New Senior Magistrate and Coroner for the Falklands Appointed - Falklands (Legal) - 07.10.2014
- Mrs Clare Faulds, no stranger to the Falklands, has been selected for the role of Senior Magistrate and Coroner to the Falkland Islands and South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands.
- 115: St Helena - EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 23.09.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 23 September, for a special meeting to consider the development of a hotel in Jamestown.
- 116: NEW FALKLANDS’ MUSEUM OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.09.2014
- After decades of planning, and a huge amount of dedication from the Falkland Islands Museum and National Trust (FIMNT) and supporters, the Falkland Islands’ new Historic Dockyard Museum is nearing completion.
- 117: DEMINING TO CONTINUE IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Environment) - 10.09.2014
- A representative from Baric Consultants, Alistair Craib, an FCO Advisor, Jeremy Wilmshurst and several operators interested in bidding for two Falklands’ demining contracts have been visiting the Falklands this week.
- 118: MLA MICHAEL POOLE ATTENDING SMALL ISLANDS DEVELOPING STATES CONFERENCE IN SAMOA - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 01.09.2014
- MLA Michael Poole is currently overseas attending the United Nations Third International Conference on Small Islands Developing States (SIDS) in Apia, Samoa. The theme for the conference is ‘the sustainable development of Small Island Developing States through genuine and durable partnerships.’
- 119: BAS Fur Seal Conclusions Challenged - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 25.08.2014
- Claims by a BAS scientist that South Georgia’s Antarctic fur seals are suffering as a consequence of a decline in krill abundance associated with climate change has been challenged by the South Georgia Government and by DEFRAs Chief Scientist.
- 120: PUBLIC PROCESS FOR CRIMINAL PROCEDURE & EVIDENCE BILL AND THE CRIMES BILL - Falklands (Legal) - 15.08.2014
- The next stage of development for the Criminal Procedure and Evidence Bill and the Crimes Bill began with the Bills being placed in the Gazette on the 15th August 2014.
- 121: St Helena: GOVERNOR WELCOMES NEW SENIOR COLLEAGUES - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 23.06.2014
- HE Governor Capes formally welcomed the new Chief Secretary, Roy Burke and his wife Jill, and the new DfID resident Representative Morgan Riley - at a reception at Plantation House on Friday 20 June 2014
- 122: PINK RUNS OVERTAKE THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Health) - 21.05.2014
- Stanley saw PINK on Sunday when 171 members of the public wore all shades of the colour and ran in support of breast cancer awareness.
- 123: INTRODUCTION TO THE RT HON KENNETH CLARKE’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY LORD BLACK OF BRENTWOOD - Falklands (Business News) - 16.11.2011
- Before introducing our keynote speaker I am very grateful for the opportunity that Robin (Esser) has given me to just very briefly to draw your attention to an important report that has just been published today which focuses on press freedom issues on shores of countries where challenges to press freedom are even more intense and often literally a matter of life and death.
- 124: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 125: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 126: FORTUNA SEAFOODS Invests for the Future - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 22.03.2011
- As part of an ongoing programme of market development Fortuna Seafoods have recently been investing in promoting Falkland seafood products in the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- 127: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 128: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 129: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 130: SHOULD CHRISTIAN VALUES BE CHOPPED FROM ST HELENA’S CONSTITUTION? - Tristan (Legal) - 21.10.2009
- A recent debate in the Foreign Affairs Committee about the Constitutions of British Overseas Territories has sparked interest in territories in the South Atlantic.
- 131: Jobless and Poverty Rates are key to Economic Recovery - All (Business News) - 12.08.2009
- Policy makers in the US Federal Reserve Bank are sitting down to discuss – amongst other things – interest rates, which are expected to remain the same at near zero percent. Also on the agenda, couched in eco-speak, is a concluding summary on the state of economy. SARTMA wonders – whose economy – theirs or ours.
- 132: ARGENTINE CLAIMS TO FALKLANDS SEABED CONTAINS NOTHING NEW - Falklands (Business News) - 25.04.2009
- Both Argentina and the United Kingdom are claiming a vast area of seabed from South America to the Antarctic in their latest bids for control of the South Atlantic.
- 133: DIRECTOR OF MINERALS AND AGRICULTURE REPORT FOR MARCH/APRIL - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 20.04.2009
- Borders & Southern Petroleum Limited (BSP), who successfully completed environmental surveys in their licensed area by contracting Benthic Solutions Limited to gather seabed samples in late 2008, are now analysing the data for inclusion in an Environmental Impact Assessment.
- 134: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 135: HYDROCARBONS WEEKEND RECORD: 11 AND 12 NOVEMBER 2006 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 12.11.2006
- Several of Bolivia’s companies and agencies that have benefited from the May 1st nationalisation of hydrocarbons are about to give a school bonus to approximately 1,200,000 children. The $25.00 (200 Bolivianos) is earmarked for helping families with food and school expenditures. The South American press indicated the sum will be given to the children on an annual basis. Payments began at 300 schools on Sunday, 12 November 2006.
- 136: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 137: Sartma Daily (30/08/05) - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.08.2005
- A quick overview of South Atlantic News
- 138: Postcode Not So New For Tristan - Tristan (Business News) - 10.08.2005
- One of the nice things about having a Tristanian working for SARTMA is that the record can be set straight about various things, including the Island’s postcode. TDCU 1ZZ has been available for at least 18 months.
Photo (c) James Glass Tristan Times - the building that houses the Tristan Post Office
- 139: Poaching Threatens Tristan da Cunha's Hurricane Recovery - Tristan (Fisheries) - 12.06.2005
- Any way you look at it, poachers who steal Tristan da Cunha's lobster as well as other maritime resources and offload them in Cape Town have cost the people hundreds of thousands of pounds a year in lost revenue.
Photos (C) James Glass (Tristan Times) - Calshot Hatbour as it looks today.
- 140: GRYTVIKEN WASTE REMOVAL: AN EXERCISE IN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION - S.Georgia (Health) - 30.04.2004
- You might think that removing the dangerous bits of Grytviken’s whaling station would mean the total clearance of all that was brought to the site in the early part of the last century but you would be wrong.
Photos (C) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG) and Vladimir Seliverstov - The Albatrosss and Dias before and after.
- 141: South Georgia Fishery: Success and Tragedy - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 28.04.2004
- In this second extensive interview with Patrick Lurcock, the Marine Officer for the 200-Mile South Georgia Fishery Zone, SARTMA has been able to update readers on the progress that the South Georgia fishery has made.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG)
- 142: Tristan da Cunha: The Way Tristanians Tell It - Tristan (Agriculture) - 07.01.2004
- Daniel Schreier and Karen Lavarello-Schreier have written an informative book about Tristan da Cunha, its people, way of life and language.
- 143: The Unseen Consequence of Longline Poaching - Tristan (Fisheries) - 15.08.2003
- People, as they should be, are angry about poaching but what of the sad spin-off?
Photo (c) COLTO An Illegal Toothfish Longliner poaching in the Southern Ocean.
- 144: A Zodiac Tour of Boatswainbird Island - Ascension (Tourism/Travel) - 10.08.2003
- The little islet off the coast of Ascension Island is called Boatswainbird Island. M/S ENDEAVOUR organised a zodiac tour of the islet.
Photo (C) J. Brock (SARTMA) Yet another lava bridge and a great photo op.
- 145: A Zodiac Tour Of Gough Island - Tristan (Tourism/Travel) - 07.07.2003
- Though no landings were permitted on Gough Island, the crew and passengers of M/S ENDEAVOUR were able to do a zodiac tour with some spectacular results.
Photos (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 146: South Georgia Residents Rescue Stranded Fishermen - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 23.05.2003
- The residents of South Georgia had their hands full earlier this month when three ships ran aground in bad weather. Two are still there.
Photo (c) Dr. Sue Dowling - The cast of characters who winter over in South Georgia in 2003:
Back (L-R)Tim Carr, Pauline Car, Suzi Hawkins, Rich Mitchell
Middle (L-R) Howie Owen, John Clemens,Frin Ross, Sarah Lurcock, Ian Parsons
Front (L-R)Sue Dowling, Andy Godsell, Rob Gater, Pat Lurcock
- 147: South Georgia Maritime Zone: A Successful Partnership - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 07.04.2003
- The second half of the South Georgia Maritime Zone's marriage of management and science is carried out in a lab and on fishing boats.
- 148: South Georgia Management Zone: - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- A Successful Marriage of Management and Science!
Find out why management and science are needed for a top - class fishery.
- 149: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.