|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | Falkland Islands|
FALKLAND ISLANDS: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (53) - Archived (3661) - All (3714)
- 1: Motion for Adjournment Speech of Commander British Forces, Commodore Bone - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, (I have) four short points, if I may?
- 2: Adjournment Speech of the Hon Mrs Phyl Rendell- 07/30/15 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, in rising to support the Motion I would like to touch on a few things arising in the past month or so.
- 3: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 29th July 2015 - Falklands (Legal) - 30.07.2015
- When reading the minutes from the previous ExCo meeting, the first substantive issue noted was that the FIG Director of Civil Aviation was coordinating a briefing for LAN with the MoD so that LAN fully understands the rules and procedures around airport closures.
- 4: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY 30 JULY 2015 Part 1 - Falklands (Legal) - 30.07.2015
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 0900hrs on Thursday, 30 July 2015.
- 5: Legislative Assembly: Question No 8/2015 by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Could the Honourable Mike Summers tell the House what is the current status of who has to pay vehicle tax and are there any plans any place to review this given that there appears to be some anomalies in the system?
- 6: Legislative AssemblyL Question No 9/2015 by the Hon Gavin Short: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I can’t charge the Honourable member for a key pass after asking the same question but can the Honourable Mike Summers state where we are in trying to move forward the update of the Road Traffic laws which seem to have been stalled for a good many years?
- 7: Legislative Assembly: Question No 10/2015 by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, can the Honourable Michael Poole please give an update on where we are with the update to the Workers’ Protection Legislation? And is he confident that this work can be finished in time to be presented to this House during the life of this Assembly?
- 8: Question No 11/2015 by the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, will the Honourable Mike Summers please inform the Assembly of the current rules being applied for the frequency of and the charges for regular eye tests, in particular, how often are tests recommended for different categories and age groups?
- 9: Legislative Assembly: Question No 12/2015 by the Hon Mr Ian Hansen - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable members, could the Honourable Gavin Short please inform this House if there are any plans for the use of Britannia House either in the short-term or in the longer term?
- 10: Legislative Assembly: Motion No 6/2015 by Dr the Hon Barry Elsby - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- This House believes that as part of its review of the Electoral Ordinance provisions should be made for greater use of referendums by the Governments and that this discussion should include provisions for voter initiated referendums.
- 11: Debate on the Referendum Motion - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I think my Honourable Colleague has laid out a historic and global context for the use of referendums and a very compelling case for why we can’t let Democracy stand still. I am going to talk a little more specifically on how I would envisage greater use of referendums here in the Falkland Islands and move on to the ideal approach initiated ones.
- 12: Legislative Assembly: Motion No 7/2015 by the Hon Mr Ian Hansen - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- “That this House notes the comments and recommendations of the Public Accounts Committee in respect of the Business Continuity Plan.”
- 13: PORTFOLIO REPORT OF THE HON GAVIN SHORT (30/07/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, since my last report we have seen staff changes at the very top of PWD with Manfred Keenleyside retiring from his position of DPW after many years of service and Falkland islander, Colin Summers moving up from Deputy DPW to take on that position.
- 14: Debate on the Hon Gavin Short’s Portfolio Report - 07/30 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- I would like to thank the Honourable Gavin Short for his very comprehensive report. And I would like to say I really do welcome that the wash plant is now working at the Quarry.
- 15: The Portfolio Report of the Hon Mr Mike Summers (30/07/15) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- I will start with the Department of Health and Social Services, which is essentially about people. There are a number of new Staff as there inevitably are in the Health and Medical Services Department.
- 16: Motion for Adjournment Speech of the Hon Mr Ian Hansen-07/30 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- The other night is was great to go to Government House to congratulate our sports people.
- 17: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Michael Poole- 30/07/15 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Thank you Mr Speaker. There are just two things from me this month. There are a couple of thank-you’s.
- 18: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Mike Summers-07/30/15 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, I have just a few brief things. In my Portfolio report I omitted to mention a recent appointment in the Emergency Services Department.
- 19: Adjournment Speech of the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek-07/30/15 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2015
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I would very much like to join with the Honourable Ian Hansen in congratulating all the Sports people who went to Jersey and I have to confess that I watched every football match that was televised.
- 20: FIG APPOINTS NEW HEAD OF POLICY - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 12.06.2015
- John Shea has been appointed by FIG as the new Head of Policy. He comes to the Islands from the United States
- 21: KEMH CELEBRATES 100 YEARS OF HEALTHCARE IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Health) - 25.05.2015
- My first memory of the KEMH was the Churchill Wing just before construction of the new hospital began in December 1984.
- 22: Public Meeting Report: Monday, 25 May 2015 Part 2 - Falklands (Business News) - 25.05.2015
- An open public meeting took place in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town hall on Monday, 25 May 2015 at 1700hrs. Present were MLAs Cheek, Edwards, Hansen, Rendell, Short and Summers. Ian Hansen was Chair of the month.
- 23: WALKERS AND RUNNERS TO SEE PINK AT FITZROY ON MAY 17TH - Falklands (Health) - 07.05.2015
- Those of you who remember the excellent day out last May during the annual pink fun run at Fitzroy will not be disappointed this year when the annual run takes place on Sunday, 17 may 2015.
- 24: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY 23 APRIL 2015 - Falklands (Legal) - 23.04.2015
- Part 1: Prayers, Confirmation, Oath of Allegiance and Motions
- 25: The Jin Yi investigation: An Update - Falklands (Fisheries) - 02.03.2015
- Seven Vietnamese fishermen were repatriated after leaving their fishing boat by jumping into Port William harbour and swimming ashore. Their fishing vessel;
- 26: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY THURSDAY, 26 FEBRUARY 2015 (Beginning Stages) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.02.2015
- A meeting of legislative Assembly took place at 0900hrs on Thursday, 26 February 2015 in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall. Present were the Hon Speaker, Mr Keith Biles, the Acting Clerk of Council, Mrs Cheri Clifford, the Financial Secretary, Mrs Nicola Granger, the Chief Executive Mr Keith Padgett and the Attorney General, Mr Peter Judge, QC. MLAs present were Cheek, Elsby, Hansen, Poole, Rendell, Short and Summers.
- 27: Falkland Islands Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 02.02.2015
- The eighth meeting of the Falkland Islands Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum took place on 2nd April 2015 in the Chamber of Commerce.
- 28: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 17 December 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 19.12.2014
- When reading the minutes from the previous ExCo meeting, it was noted that, with regard to the FM radio service, a transmitter had been installed at Port Howard and it was working well.
- 29: Joint Ministerial Council Communiqué 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 03.12.2014
- The political leaders and representatives of the UK and the Overseas Territories met as the Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London on 2 and 3 December. We welcomed the newly elected leader of the Government of Montserrat to his first Council.
- 30: British and German Relatives Attend the Anniversary of the Battle of the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.12.2014
- British and German relatives of Adm. Sturdee, Adm. Craddock and Adm. Graff Spee attended a week long commemoration of the 1914 Battle of the Falkland Islands.
- 31: FORCES TV AVAILABLE TO FALKLAND ISLANDS VIEWERS - Falklands (Business News) - 01.12.2014
- From the 1st December 2014, British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) was broadcasting an additional TV channel, Forces TV, for viewers in the Falkland Islands.
- 32: RECRUITMENT ONGOING FOR JUSTICES OF THE PEACE - Falklands (Legal) - 01.12.2014
- Recruitment is underway to encourage more members of the community to serve as Justices of the Peace with the Courts and Tribunals Service. Justices of the Peace provide an essential public service within the community, hearing a range of criminal and non-criminal cases in the Summary Court.
- 33: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 26 November 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.11.2014
- The Rolling Action Log was reviewed as normal before the papers for the day. Members sought an update on when the Disciplinary Code for the Judiciary and the Framework Agreement (setting out the responsibilities of the executive branch of Government in respect of the Courts) would be published.
- 34: 3 Way Archery Postal Shoot – a Victory for the Falklands Team - Falklands (Education) - 21.11.2014
- Yet another first for the Falklands and the Falklands Archery Association happened this week with members taking part in a 3 way Handicapped ‘Portsmouth’ Postal Shoot against 2 other UK based archery clubs...Mike McLeod tells us more
- 35: OFSTED SCHOOLS INSPECTION COMPLETED IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Education) - 18.11.2014
- As Part of the Schools Inspection process the Education Department Welcomed HMI Mr Mike Chislett an inspector from the education regulator Ofsted to the Falklands as part of the schools' inspection process..
- 36: Members of A Company, the Rifles try their hand at Archery in the Falklands - Falklands (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Twelve members of members of A Company, The Rifles stopprf off at the FIDF Hall while on a visit to the area in Stanley on Wednesday, 19 November 2014.
- 37: Report on the meeting of Executive Council held on Wednesday 12 November 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 12.11.2014
- First paper we discussed was setting Fishing Access Fees for 2015. John Barton, Director of Natural Resources attended and MLA Rendell excused herself for this discussion.
- 38: SOCIETY OF EDITORS’ LECTURE GIVEN BY SIR ALAN MOSES - Falklands (Legal) - 09.11.2014
- Since it is Sunday you are, no doubt, expecting a sermon. Something from me stern and formidable, delivered from on high, in tales of rebuke, threatening all with hell-fire, damnation and warning you that you are all going to burn.
- 39: The Falkland Islands Tourist Board Bill 2014 - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 04.11.2014
- This Bill has been published in the Falkland Islands Gazette and went to a second reading. The debate follows
- 40: Falklands Retirement Pensions up for Consultation - Falklands (Business News) - 14.10.2014
- A public consultation will be carried out by the Falkland Islands Government between the 20th October and the 7th November 2014,
- 41: New Senior Magistrate and Coroner for the Falklands Appointed - Falklands (Legal) - 07.10.2014
- Mrs Clare Faulds, no stranger to the Falklands, has been selected for the role of Senior Magistrate and Coroner to the Falkland Islands and South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands.
- 42: NEW FALKLANDS’ MUSEUM OPEN FOR BUSINESS - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.09.2014
- After decades of planning, and a huge amount of dedication from the Falkland Islands Museum and National Trust (FIMNT) and supporters, the Falkland Islands’ new Historic Dockyard Museum is nearing completion.
- 43: DEMINING TO CONTINUE IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Environment) - 10.09.2014
- A representative from Baric Consultants, Alistair Craib, an FCO Advisor, Jeremy Wilmshurst and several operators interested in bidding for two Falklands’ demining contracts have been visiting the Falklands this week.
- 44: MLA MICHAEL POOLE ATTENDING SMALL ISLANDS DEVELOPING STATES CONFERENCE IN SAMOA - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 01.09.2014
- MLA Michael Poole is currently overseas attending the United Nations Third International Conference on Small Islands Developing States (SIDS) in Apia, Samoa. The theme for the conference is ‘the sustainable development of Small Island Developing States through genuine and durable partnerships.’
- 45: PUBLIC PROCESS FOR CRIMINAL PROCEDURE & EVIDENCE BILL AND THE CRIMES BILL - Falklands (Legal) - 15.08.2014
- The next stage of development for the Criminal Procedure and Evidence Bill and the Crimes Bill began with the Bills being placed in the Gazette on the 15th August 2014.
- 46: PINK RUNS OVERTAKE THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Health) - 21.05.2014
- Stanley saw PINK on Sunday when 171 members of the public wore all shades of the colour and ran in support of breast cancer awareness.
- 47: INTRODUCTION TO THE RT HON KENNETH CLARKE’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY LORD BLACK OF BRENTWOOD - Falklands (Business News) - 16.11.2011
- Before introducing our keynote speaker I am very grateful for the opportunity that Robin (Esser) has given me to just very briefly to draw your attention to an important report that has just been published today which focuses on press freedom issues on shores of countries where challenges to press freedom are even more intense and often literally a matter of life and death.
- 48: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 49: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 50: ARGENTINE CLAIMS TO FALKLANDS SEABED CONTAINS NOTHING NEW - Falklands (Business News) - 25.04.2009
- Both Argentina and the United Kingdom are claiming a vast area of seabed from South America to the Antarctic in their latest bids for control of the South Atlantic.
- 51: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 52: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 53: All Change at FIDC - Falklands (Business News) - 00.00.0000
- An exciting new chapter has begun at the Falkland Islands Development Corporation with the enactments of the FIDC Ordinance