|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | Saint Helena|
SAINT HELENA: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (81) - Archived (1523) - All (1604)
- 1: FORMAL MEETING OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS COMMITTEE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 28.04.2015
- The first formal session (for 2015) of the Public Accounts Committee will take place tomorrow, Wednesday 29 April, at 9.30am in the Court House, Jamestown. The public is invited to attend.
- 2: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 28 APRIL 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 28.04.2015
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 28 April 2015, with two items on the Open Agenda.
- 3: DEVELOPMENT OF SUNDALE INTO A NEW PRISON - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 28.04.2015
- The current Prison in Jamestown is believed to be around 180 years old and is no longer appropriate as a Prison, both for the staff who work there and the prisoners who are held there.
- 4: St Helena: ACTING GOVERNOR SWORN IN - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 28.04.2015
- Head of the Governor’s Office, Sean Burns, was yesterday afternoon sworn in as Acting Governor, taking the prescribed Oaths in the presence of the Sheriff of St Helena, Mrs Pat Musk MBE JP, family and colleagues in the Governor’s Office
- 5: St Helena EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST TO SERVE ON BOARDS & COMMITTEES - St Helena (Business News) - 27.04.2015
- Corporate Support is in the process of updating its register of persons interested in serving on statutory and bona fide Boards and Committees.
- 6: St Helena: CALIBRATION FLIGHTS - St Helena (Business News) - 25.04.2015
- Basil Read is re-scheduling the date of the Calibration Flights for navigational aids, which will now occur in or around September 2015.
- 7: St Helena: SECOND SUPREME COURT JUDGMENT PUBLISHED - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 24.04.2015
- Chief Justice Charles Ekins has today in Open Court given permission for the Judgment in the case of K.
- 8: St Helena: QUARTERLY STATISTICAL NEWS BULLETIN - St Helena (Business News) - 24.04.2015
- The Quarterly Statistical News Bulletin for April 2015, covers the period January to March 2015 (Quarter 1),
- 9: Re R. SUPREME COURT JUDGMENT PUBLISHED - St Helena (Legal) - 24.04.2015
- Chief Justice Charles Ekins has today in Open Court given permission for the Judgment in the case of Re R. to be published. The Judgment can be found on the SHG website at:
- 10: St Helena: AMENDMENTS TO REGISTER OF ELECTORS - St Helena (Legal) - 23.04.2015
- An SHG Extraordinary Gazette Notice has this afternoon been issued seeking to amend the Register of Electors by adding names of persons who wish to be registered and removing the names of persons who are no longer resident on St Helena.
- 11: St Helena: NEW DIRECTOR OF HEALTH APPOINTED - St Helena (Health) - 17.04.2015
- A new Director of Health, Dr Darren Clarke (photo attached), has been appointed on a two-year contract and will take up his position on St Helena in June 2015.
- 12: ST HELENA UTILITIES REGULATORY AUTHORITY DIRECTIVE - St Helena (Business News) - 16.04.2015
- The St Helena Utilities Regulatory Authority has issued its report on a Direction under Section 5 (1) (C) of the Utilities Services
- 13: St Helena: NOMINATIONS INVITED FOR CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR, AND - St Helena (Heritage) - 14.04.2015
- Nominations are currently being invited for the Certificate and Badge of Honour Awards, 2015.
- 14: AIRPORT PROJECT ENVIRONMENTAL REPORT 2013-14 RELEASED - St Helena (Environment) - 14.04.2015
- Basil Read has published its Annual Environmental Report (AER) 2013-14 on the St Helena Airport Project.
- 15: FCO OFFICIALS ON FAMILIARISATION VISIT - St Helena (Business News) - 14.04.2015
- Two Foreign Office officials with responsibility for St Helena will pay a brief visit to the Island from the morning of Sunday 19 April, departing via Ascension Island on Tuesday 21 April.
- 16: St Helena: SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF POLICE TRAINING COURSE - St Helena (Education) - 10.04.2015
- Eight Officers from the St Helena Police Service have just completed an eight week initial Constable training course. Five officers, including one Cadet, are Saint Helenian and three of the officers are from the UK employed on local contracts.
- 17: NEW SAFEGUARDING MONEY FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Health) - 10.04.2015
- As the Financial Secretary explained in his Budget Speech on 27 March 2015, SHG has recognised the importance of Safeguarding on St Helena with the introduction of a new Safeguarding Directorate. He said that this Directorate would receive £2.6m in
- 18: St Helena: NEW YEAR HONOURS - OVERSEAS LIST – NOMINATIONS - St Helena (Heritage) - 07.04.2015
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office invites nominations for the 2016 New Year Honours List.
- 19: Adjournment Debate Legislative Council 30th March 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 01.04.2015
- I rise in support of this adjournment debate, last week was a week of some important announcements for the Island, our Air Service was announced the contract for Hospital Redevelopment was signed and of course Mantis is back on-board as our Hotel operator, very good news for St Helena.
- 20: ROAD CLOSURE AT BUTTON-UP CORNER - St Helena (Business News) - 25.03.2015
- Following a recent road traffic accident, the Highway Authority has approved the closure of the Seaview Road
- 21: COUNCILLOR HENRY REPORTS ON 13TH OCT-EU FORUM - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 24.03.2015
- Councillor Lawson Henry returned to the Island on Tuesday 10 March 2015, having attended a series of trilateral meetings, the Ministerial Conference and the 13th OCT-EU Forum
- 22: PARENTS PROTECT AWARENESS SESSION - St Helena (Health) - 23.03.2015
- A Parents Protect Awareness Session will be held at the Jamestown Community Centre tomorrow evening, Tuesday 24 March 2015,
- 23: FINAL BLAST AT AIRPORT SITE - St Helena (Business News) - 23.03.2015
- The final rock blast for the St Helena Airport Project took place at the Airport site, Prosperous Bay Plain, at 5.20pm on
- 24: WHARF ACCESS: THURSDAY - 2 APRIL 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 23.03.2015
- As is normal, there will be some limitations to accessing the Wharf on Maundy Thursday, 2 April 2015.
- 25: INCOME TAX (AMENDMENT) BILL 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 18.03.2015
- The Income Tax (Amendment) Bill 2015 will be presented at the next Formal Session of Legislative Council, on Friday, 27 March 2015.
- 26: BR CERTIFICATION & OPERATIONAL READINESS MANAGER VISITS - St Helena (Business News) - 17.03.2015
- Basil Read’s Certification & Operational Readiness Manager, Simon Walker, arrived on St Helena, today Tuesday 17 March 2015, to discuss plans for Airport Certification and Operational Readiness.
- 27: AIR SERVICES TO ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 16.03.2015
- SHG and DFID are pleased to announce the appointment of Comair Limited as the preferred bidder for the provision of air services to St Helena.
- 28: VISITING PSYCHIATRIST FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Health) - 16.03.2015
- Professor Brian Robertson, Emeritus Professor at the Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town, will be making his annual visit to St Helena, arriving on Monday 30 March and departing on 27 April 2015.
- 29: EBONY VIEW MAKES GOOD PROGRESS - St Helena (Heritage) - 10.03.2015
- The refurbishment of Ebony View (Ex-Half Tree Hollow School), the new home for residents of the Challenging Behaviour Unit (CBU) at Sundale, is making good progress, with residents expected to move into their new home later this month.
- 30: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 10 MARCH 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 10.03.2015
- There was one item for discussion on the Open Agenda
- 31: COMMONWEALTH DAY 2015 – A YOUNG COMMONWEALTH - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.03.2015
- Today, Monday 9 March 2015, is Commonwealth Day – a day when the 53 member nations of the Commonwealth take part in national Commonwealth activities focused around the theme of ‘A Young Commonwealth’.
- 32: NEW HEALTH SERVICE STAFF - St Helena (Health) - 06.03.2015
- The St Helena General Hospital has recently welcomed two new Doctors to their Health Service Team.
- 33: TURTLE NESTS AT SANDY BAY BEACH - St Helena (Environment) - 05.03.2015
- The Marine Conservation Section, of the Environmental Management Division, has today identified that green turtles have been attempting to nest in the Sandy Bay Beach area.
- 34: St Helena Airport: first aircraft to land in July 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 05.03.2015
- The very first aeroplane landing on St Helena's new airport...sthelenaonline.org
- 35: LADDER HILL ROAD CLOSURE – SUNDAY 8 MARCH 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 03.03.2015
- Following a recent road traffic accident, the Highway Authority has
- 36: NEWLY APPOINTED SENIOR SOCIAL WORKER - St Helena (Health) - 03.03.2015
- Arriving to the Island on Thursday, 26 February 2015, was Senior Social Worker, Stephanie Jones (photo attached).
- 37: NEW APPOINTED SENIOR SOCIAL WORKER - St Helena (Health) - 02.03.2015
- Arrived to the island on the 26 February 2015 was Senior Social Worker Stephanie Jones who is based at Brick House, Upper Jamestown.
- 38: FREE CONFIDENTIAL TELEPHONE SUPPORT SERVICE NOW AVAILABLE - St Helena (Health) - 02.03.2015
- St Helena Government (SHG) in partnership with UK Charity, Samaritans, and SURE South Atlantic Ltd are pleased to announce that a free and confidential telephone support service is now available. The telephone number for this service is 20000.
- 39: POLLING DAY – WEDNESDAY 4 MARCH 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 02.03.2015
- St Helena will go to the Polls to elect a new Member to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council.
- 40: APPRENTICESHIP AWARENESS WORKSHOP - St Helena (Business News) - 02.03.2015
- An Apprenticeship Awareness Workshop was held, for the first time, on Thursday 26 February 2015, at the Education Learning Centre in Jamestown.
- 41: MANAGEMENT TRAINING FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 02.03.2015
- A cross section of employees from both the public and private sector have recently undergone intense management training with visiting trainer, Bruce MacDonald, on behalf of the Graduate School of Business from the University of Cape Town.
- 42: ORGANISATIONAL CHANGES IN PORT CONTROL SECTION - St Helena (Shipping/Freight) - 24.02.2015
- The public is advised that due to organisational changes within the Port Control Section (Office of the Harbourmaster) St Helena, the following personnel can be contacted via their new email addresses, detailed below.
- 43: POLLING DAY NEXT WEEK - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 24.02.2015
- The public is reminded that a Bye-election will take place on Wednesday 4 March 2015 when St Helena will go to the Polls to elect a new Member to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council.
- 44: OFFICIAL LIST OF CANDIDATES FOR BYE- ELECTION 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 18.02.2015
- The Elections Ordinance 2009 provides for Nominations to be delivered to the Returning Officer by no later than noon on the last day appointed for the Nomination of Candidates. The closing date for nominations for the 2015 Bye-election (to be held on Wednesday 4 March 2015) was today, Wednesday 18 February 2015.
- 45: CONTINGENCY PLAN TESTED TWICE IN ONE WEEK - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2015
- On Thursday, 12 February 2015, a planned major incident exercise took place where the emergency and port services
- 46: RECEIVING POST FROM AND VIA SOUTH AFRICA - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2015
- The St Helena Post Office would like to advise their customers that they have not received any official report from the Authorities in South Africa as to the reasons for the delays in receiving post from and via South Africa.
- 47: SAFEGUARDING STATEMENT FROM CHAIRMAN OF SOCIAL AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE - St Helena (Health) - 17.02.2015
- As you will be aware, St Helena has attracted considerable negative publicity recently, depicting our Island as a place where child abuse is tolerated and not properly addressed by Government agencies. This is simply not true!
- 48: ORGANISATIONAL CHANGES IN PORT CONTROL SECTION - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2015
- The public is advised that due to organisational changes within the Port Control Section (Office of the Harbourmaster) St Helena, the following personnel can be contacted via their new email addresses, detailed below.
- 49: ELECTED MEMBERS AND SENIOR SHG OFFICIALS VISIT AIRPORT SITE - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 16.02.2015
- Elected Members visited the St Helena Airport site on Friday, 13 February 2015, following their quarterly Airport Project progress presentation by the SHG Access Office.
- 50: BYE-ELECTION: DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS - WEDNESDAY 18 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2015
- The public is reminded that the last day and time for receiving Nominations to elect a Member to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council is 12 noon on Wednesday, 18 February 2015.
- 51: COUNCILLORS’ CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS IN FEBRUARY/MARCH - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 16.02.2015
- Councillors are holding a series of constituency meetings during February and early March 2015.
- 52: CONTROLLED ROCK REMOVAL – WEST ROCKS - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2015
- On Wednesday morning, 18 February 2015, Rock Guards, from the Environment and Natural Resources Directorate (ENRD), will conduct a controlled rock removal operation in the West Rocks area.
- 53: SHIPPING - POST-RMS FREIGHT SERVICES UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 10.12.2014
- The public will be aware of recent visits from potential Ocean Freight Services providers Seafast, Hartman Project Lines (HPL) and Meihuizen Atlantic Islands Services (MAIS) between October and November this year.
- 54: ST HELENA SUPREME COURT CONCLUDES - St Helena (Legal) - 10.12.2014
- At the conclusion of the current sitting of the St Helena Supreme Court on Monday (8 December 2014), St Helena Government and the St Helena Police Service welcomed the sentences handed down by the Chief Justice, and hope this sends a clear message to the community.
- 55: NEW SAFEGUARDING DIRECTORATE TO LAUNCH & CBU RENAMED - St Helena (Legal) - 28.11.2014
- As previously announced, a new Safeguarding Directorate will be created in SHG from Monday 1 December 2014, the purpose of which is to - Protect and Safeguard Vulnerable Children, Young People and Adults at Risk or Suffering From Abuse.
- 56: CORPORATE SUPPORT THANKS POPPY APPEAL DONATORS - St Helena (Business News) - 28.11.2014
- Corporate Support staff would like to extend sincere thanks to everyone who supported this year’s fundraising in aid of the 2014 Poppy Appeal Fund and to all who attended the Remembrance Service on Sunday 9 November 2014.
- 57: WHARF USAGE - REMINDER - St Helena (Business News) - 27.11.2014
- The public is reminded that no unathorised vehicles can be parked on the Wharf after working hours (ie from 4pm to 8.30am Monday to Friday). Similarly at weekends, the Wharf will be closed from 4pm Friday afternoon through to Monday morning at 8.30pm.
- 58: ATTORNEY GENERAL SWORN IN - St Helena (Legal) - 26.11.2014
- On 26 November 2014, Nicola Moore was sworn in as Attorney General for St Helena, taking the required Oaths necessary to serve on Executive and Legislative Councils, in the presence of Acting Governor Sean Burns.
- 59: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 25 NOVEMBER - St Helena (Legal) - 25.11.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 25 November 2014, to consider three items on the open agenda.
- 60: ANDREW WEIR GROUP ANNOUNCES SALE OF SHIPPING LINE - St Helena (Business News) - 21.11.2014
- The owners of the Andrew Weir Group (AWG) recently embarked on a financial restructuring exercise to enable a debt owed to the Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund (MNOPF) to be cleared and to move forward on other core non-marine activities.
- 61: SUPREME COURT IN SESSION - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- The formal opening of the St Helena Supreme Court took place yesterday, Tuesday 18 November, at 2pm. Various Civil and Criminal cases will be heard by the Supreme Court until Wednesday 10 December 2014.
- 62: SHG Concerns about unauthorised Access Road use - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- In recent weeks, there has been a considerable increase in the unauthorised use of the Airport Access Road, leading to concerns about the safety of the public and protection of the environment.
- 63: SHG UK REPRESENTATIVE’S OFFICE - NEW CONTACT DETAILS - St Helena (Business News) - 18.11.2014
The public is advised that the SHG UK Representative, Mrs Kedell Worboys MBE and her team will be moving office on Thursday 20 November 2014.
- 64: St HELENA GIS DAY 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Day is a worldwide event held every year in more than 80 countries across the world.
- 65: St Helena: Good news for the General Hospital - St Helena (Health) - 18.11.2014
- 2 Articles The St Helena General Hospital has recently received two new operating tables from the Lund University Hospital in Sweden, sourced by the Medico Technical Engineer, Jorgen Larsson from the Swedish Hospital where our Senior Medical Officer, Dr Attila Frigyesi hails from.
- 66: COUNCILLOR CHRISTINE SCIPIO-O’DEAN RETURNS FROM OVERSEAS CONFERENCE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.11.2014
- Councillor Christine Scipio-O’Dean recently returned to the Island having attended the 60th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference and 34th Small Branches Conference in Cameroon, in October of this year.
The 34th Small Branches Conference comprised of three plenary sessions:
- 67: PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL COMMEMORATES REMEMBRANCE DAY - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- Prince Andrew School commemorated Remembrance Day in a special assembly, led by students from Year 12, on Tuesday 11 November 2014.
- 68: LIFELONG LEARNING CERTIFICATE PRESENTATION 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- The Lifelong Learning Awards Ceremony was held on Thursday, 13 November 2014 at the Education Learning Centre. Awards went to individuals who participated and completed the Livelihoods Programme, Apprenticeship Scheme and NVQs in Customer Service, Crop Production, Health and Social Care, Environmental Conservation, Land Based and Business Administration.
- 69: ENHANCING SAFE FLIGHTS WITH UK MET OFFICE WEATHER FORECAST SERVICE - St Helena (Business News) - 14.11.2014
- Today, it has been announced that the operations of St Helena Airport will be supported by the UK Met Office, one of the world's foremost weather and climate service providers. The UK Met Office will be responsible for providing an on-Island weather forecasting service.
- 70: St Helena: CLOSURE OF CUSTOMS TAX AND PORT MANAGEMENT BUILDING - St Helena (Business News) - 13.11.2014
- The public is advised that the Customs, Tax and Port Management building will be closed
- 71: St Helena MAJOR INCIDENT EXERCISE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 11.11.2014
- As previously announced in June of this year, SHG and the private sector are gearing up for a major incident exercise to be held on St Helena on Wednesday 17 December 2014.
- 72: JOINT MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE – PROGRESS REPORT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 07.11.2014
- St Helena Government has uploaded its progress report on the commitments made at the Joint Ministerial Conference in 2013.
- 73: St Helena: ACTING GOVERNOR TAKES THE OATHS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 06.11.2014
- Head of the Governor’s Office, Sean Burns, this afternoon took the prescribed Oaths as Acting Governor, in the presence of the Acting Sheriff of St Helena, Mr Harry Legg OBE JP,
- 74: STEDSON FRANCIS RECEIVES BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL - St Helena (Heritage) - 05.11.2014
- At a special dinner, hosted by HE Governor Capes last evening (4 November 2014), Stedson Graham Francis of Thompsons Wood was formally presented with his British Empire Medal (BEM), awarded to him under HM Queen’s Birthday Honours in June of this year.
- 75: BUDGETARY AID MISSION DRAWS TO A CLOSE - St Helena (Business News) - 05.11.2014
- The DFID Budgetary Aid Mission (BAM) comprising team members, Senior Economic Adviser, Doug Winslow, Senior Social Development Adviser, Mary Thompson and St Helena Programme Manager, David Finan depart the Island tomorrow (6 November 2014) having held discussions for agreeing a three year budget for St Helena.
- 76: LANDSCAPE & ECOLOGY MITIGATION PROGRAMME PROGRESSING WELL (LEMP) - St Helena (Agriculture) - 04.11.2014
- The Landscape & Ecology Mitigation Programme (LEMP), part of St Helena Government’s Airport Project, is progressing well, with new staff recruitments, facilities and plants.
- 77: St Helena - EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 23.09.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 23 September, for a special meeting to consider the development of a hotel in Jamestown.
- 78: St Helena: GOVERNOR WELCOMES NEW SENIOR COLLEAGUES - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 23.06.2014
- HE Governor Capes formally welcomed the new Chief Secretary, Roy Burke and his wife Jill, and the new DfID resident Representative Morgan Riley - at a reception at Plantation House on Friday 20 June 2014
- 79: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 80: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 81: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.