|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | Saint Helena|
SAINT HELENA: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (57) - Archived (1490) - All (1547)
- 1: MAJOR INCIDENT TRAINING EXERCISE COMPLETED - St Helena (Health) - 12.02.2015
- The public is advised that the major incident training exercise, which took place this morning, has been completed.
- 2: CHUBBS SPRING ROCK STABILISATION - St Helena (Business News) - 10.02.2015
- On the afternoon of Thursday 5 February 2015, while out on routine inspection, Rock Guards, from the Environment and Natural Resources Directorate (ENRD), discovered a rock, approximately one cubic metre in size that required stabilisation - the rock was located above Chubbs Spring.
- 3: MAJOR INCIDENT TRAINING EXERCISE - 12 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 09.02.2015
- The public is reminded that a major incident training exercise will take place on the morning of Thursday, 12 February 2015.
- 4: St Helena: COUNCILLORS’ CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS IN FEBRUARY/MARCH - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.02.2015
- Councillors will be holding a series of constituency meetings from 16 February to 16 March 2015.
- 5: St Helena: ROAD RESURFACING – HUTTS GATE TO LONGWOOD GATE - St Helena (Business News) - 04.02.2015
- As part of the ongoing road maintenance programme, the road from Hutts Gate to Longwood Gate will be resurfaced, beginning on Monday 9 February 2015.
- 6: St Helena: BYE-ELECTION 2015 WRIT OF ELECTION ISSUED - St Helena (Legal) - 03.02.2015
- Governor Capes has today issued the Writ of Election, for the 4 March Bye-election
- 7: St Helena: MAJOR INCIDENT TRAINING EXERCISE - 12 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Education) - 03.02.2015
- The public is advised that a major incident exercise will take place on the morning of Thursday, 12 February 2015.
- 8: SAFEGUARDING ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Health) - 03.02.2015
- On Thursday 29 January 2015, Greg Hall arrived on the Island to serve as Director of the new Safeguarding Directorate, established on 1 December 2014.
- 9: CUSTOMS DUTY FOR IMPORTING A VEHICLE INTO ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 03.02.2015
- As of 1 June 2014, vehicles imported into St Helena are charged at a variable rate of
- 10: St Helena: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 3 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Legal) - 03.02.2015
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 3 February 2015, and welcomed the Honourable Derek Thomas to the meeting, following his election to ExCo at the last formal Legislative Council meeting.
- 11: St Helena: ARCHIVES CLOSURE - WEDNESDAY 4 FEBRUARY 2015 - St Helena (Heritage) - 02.02.2015
- The public is advised that the St Helena Archives will be closed on Wednesday 4 February
- 12: St Helena: NEW ADDITIONS TO HEALTH TEAM - St Helena (Health) - 02.02.2015
- The St Helena General Hospital has recently welcomed two new additions to the Health Service Team
- 13: VIRTUES PROJECT ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Heritage) - 02.02.2015
- International Trainer and Master Facilitator of the Virtues Project, Nigel Ipp, will be visiting the Island from Wednesday 18 February 2015, to provide training and support through the Virtues Project – a global grassroots initiative to inspire the practice of virtues in everyday life.
- 14: St Helena: DEREK HENRY DEPARTS FOR OVERSEAS PLACEMENT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 30.01.2015
- Deputy Director of the Environment & Natural Resources Directorate, Derek Henry (photo attached), departs the Island tomorrow, Saturday 31 January 2015 -
- 15: St Helena: STATEMENT BY GOVERNOR ON SEXUAL ABUSE ALLEGATIONS - St Helena (Health) - 29.01.2015
- Many of you will have seen the recent articles in the international and local media concerning reports of child abuse and other sexual offences on St Helena.
- 16: St Helena: CARGO & BAGGAGE COLLECTION - FRIDAY 30 JANUARY 2015 - St Helena (Business News) - 28.01.2015
- It was announced yesterday that HM Customs would be closed on Friday 30 January 2015 between 8.30am and 11.30am for cargo and baggage collection.
- 17: HEAT AFFECTED ROADS ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 28.01.2015
- Due to the recent hot weather, the Roads Team has been treating the effects of overheated roads around the Island. The bitumen in the roads will start to melt when the road temperature reaches over 50 degrees Centigrade.
- 18: St Helena: OUTPATIENT CLINICS - St Helena (Health) - 27.01.2015
- The public will be aware that outpatient clinics in the outlying districts have been temporarily out of operation due to staff shortages at the Hospital, and in the immediate term these clinics will remain closed.
- 19: St Helena: COUNCILLOR HENRY TO ATTEND 13TH OCT-EU FORUM - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 27.01.2015
- Councillor Lawson Henry (photo attached) departs the Island on Friday, 6 February 2015, to attend a series of trilateral meetings, the Ministerial Conference and the 13th OCT-EU Forum (Overseas Countries and Territories -
- 20: St Helena: TEMPORARY PROCUREMENT ADVISOR ARRIVES - St Helena (Business News) - 27.01.2015
- Recently arriving on-Island on 16 January 2015, was Marc Lockley (photo attached) to take up the temporary position of St Helena Government Procurement Advisor
- 21: St Helena: LIFELONG LEARNING AWARDS - St Helena (Education) - 27.01.2015
- An awards ceremony was held at the Jamestown Community Centre on Tuesday, 20 January 2015, organised by Lifelong Learning Services (previously AVES).
- 22: St Helena: ROAD RESURFACING – HUTTS GATE TO LONGWOOD GATE - St Helena (Business News) - 26.01.2015
- As part of the ongoing road maintenance programme, the road from Hutts Gate to Longwood Gate will be resurfaced, beginning on Monday 9 February 2015.
- 23: St Helena: 2015 BYE-ELECTION – LAST CHANCE TO GET YOUR NAME ON THE REGISTER OF ELECTORS - St Helena (Legal) - 22.01.2015
- Persons wishing to take part in the Bye-election and whose names are not yet on the Register of Electors....
- 24: St Helena PROCLAMATION ISSUED FOR BYE-ELECTION - St Helena (Legal) - 20.01.2015
- In a Proclamation issued today, 20 January 2015, Governor Mark Capes has announced that a Bye-election to fill the vacant seat on Legislative Council (following the recent resignation of Ian Rummery on 8 January) will take place on Wednesday 4 March 2015.
- 25: St Helena FORMAL LEGCO MEETING – FRIDAY 23 JANUARY - St Helena (Legal) - 19.01.2015
- A formal meeting of Legislative Council will take place on Friday, 23 January 2015 at 10am in the Court House, Jamestown.
- 26: EMERGENCY PLANNING FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Health) - 16.01.2015
- Arriving on the RMS on Saturday, 10 January 2015, was Ian Johnson (photo attached) to take up the permanent emergency planning position, vacated by interim Emergency Planner, Alistair Smith, in December.
- 27: St Helena: RELOCATION OF COUNCILLORS’ OFFICES - St Helena (Business News) - 16.01.2015
- The public is advised that the Councillors’ Offices - previously situated at No.3 Main Street
- 28: St Helena: NEW ADVISORY TEACHER FOR SCIENCE - St Helena (Business News) - 05.01.2015
- Arriving on the RMS on Saturday, 10 January 2015, will be Mr Bryan Germany (photo attached) to take up the post of Science Advisory Teacher.
- 29: SHIPPING - POST-RMS FREIGHT SERVICES UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 10.12.2014
- The public will be aware of recent visits from potential Ocean Freight Services providers Seafast, Hartman Project Lines (HPL) and Meihuizen Atlantic Islands Services (MAIS) between October and November this year.
- 30: ST HELENA SUPREME COURT CONCLUDES - St Helena (Legal) - 10.12.2014
- At the conclusion of the current sitting of the St Helena Supreme Court on Monday (8 December 2014), St Helena Government and the St Helena Police Service welcomed the sentences handed down by the Chief Justice, and hope this sends a clear message to the community.
- 31: NEW SAFEGUARDING DIRECTORATE TO LAUNCH & CBU RENAMED - St Helena (Legal) - 28.11.2014
- As previously announced, a new Safeguarding Directorate will be created in SHG from Monday 1 December 2014, the purpose of which is to - Protect and Safeguard Vulnerable Children, Young People and Adults at Risk or Suffering From Abuse.
- 32: CORPORATE SUPPORT THANKS POPPY APPEAL DONATORS - St Helena (Business News) - 28.11.2014
- Corporate Support staff would like to extend sincere thanks to everyone who supported this year’s fundraising in aid of the 2014 Poppy Appeal Fund and to all who attended the Remembrance Service on Sunday 9 November 2014.
- 33: WHARF USAGE - REMINDER - St Helena (Business News) - 27.11.2014
- The public is reminded that no unathorised vehicles can be parked on the Wharf after working hours (ie from 4pm to 8.30am Monday to Friday). Similarly at weekends, the Wharf will be closed from 4pm Friday afternoon through to Monday morning at 8.30pm.
- 34: ATTORNEY GENERAL SWORN IN - St Helena (Legal) - 26.11.2014
- On 26 November 2014, Nicola Moore was sworn in as Attorney General for St Helena, taking the required Oaths necessary to serve on Executive and Legislative Councils, in the presence of Acting Governor Sean Burns.
- 35: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 25 NOVEMBER - St Helena (Legal) - 25.11.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 25 November 2014, to consider three items on the open agenda.
- 36: ANDREW WEIR GROUP ANNOUNCES SALE OF SHIPPING LINE - St Helena (Business News) - 21.11.2014
- The owners of the Andrew Weir Group (AWG) recently embarked on a financial restructuring exercise to enable a debt owed to the Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund (MNOPF) to be cleared and to move forward on other core non-marine activities.
- 37: SUPREME COURT IN SESSION - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- The formal opening of the St Helena Supreme Court took place yesterday, Tuesday 18 November, at 2pm. Various Civil and Criminal cases will be heard by the Supreme Court until Wednesday 10 December 2014.
- 38: SHG Concerns about unauthorised Access Road use - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- In recent weeks, there has been a considerable increase in the unauthorised use of the Airport Access Road, leading to concerns about the safety of the public and protection of the environment.
- 39: SHG UK REPRESENTATIVE’S OFFICE - NEW CONTACT DETAILS - St Helena (Business News) - 18.11.2014
The public is advised that the SHG UK Representative, Mrs Kedell Worboys MBE and her team will be moving office on Thursday 20 November 2014.
- 40: St HELENA GIS DAY 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Day is a worldwide event held every year in more than 80 countries across the world.
- 41: St Helena: Good news for the General Hospital - St Helena (Health) - 18.11.2014
- 2 Articles The St Helena General Hospital has recently received two new operating tables from the Lund University Hospital in Sweden, sourced by the Medico Technical Engineer, Jorgen Larsson from the Swedish Hospital where our Senior Medical Officer, Dr Attila Frigyesi hails from.
- 42: COUNCILLOR CHRISTINE SCIPIO-O’DEAN RETURNS FROM OVERSEAS CONFERENCE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.11.2014
- Councillor Christine Scipio-O’Dean recently returned to the Island having attended the 60th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference and 34th Small Branches Conference in Cameroon, in October of this year.
The 34th Small Branches Conference comprised of three plenary sessions:
- 43: PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL COMMEMORATES REMEMBRANCE DAY - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- Prince Andrew School commemorated Remembrance Day in a special assembly, led by students from Year 12, on Tuesday 11 November 2014.
- 44: LIFELONG LEARNING CERTIFICATE PRESENTATION 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- The Lifelong Learning Awards Ceremony was held on Thursday, 13 November 2014 at the Education Learning Centre. Awards went to individuals who participated and completed the Livelihoods Programme, Apprenticeship Scheme and NVQs in Customer Service, Crop Production, Health and Social Care, Environmental Conservation, Land Based and Business Administration.
- 45: ENHANCING SAFE FLIGHTS WITH UK MET OFFICE WEATHER FORECAST SERVICE - St Helena (Business News) - 14.11.2014
- Today, it has been announced that the operations of St Helena Airport will be supported by the UK Met Office, one of the world's foremost weather and climate service providers. The UK Met Office will be responsible for providing an on-Island weather forecasting service.
- 46: St Helena: CLOSURE OF CUSTOMS TAX AND PORT MANAGEMENT BUILDING - St Helena (Business News) - 13.11.2014
- The public is advised that the Customs, Tax and Port Management building will be closed
- 47: St Helena MAJOR INCIDENT EXERCISE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 11.11.2014
- As previously announced in June of this year, SHG and the private sector are gearing up for a major incident exercise to be held on St Helena on Wednesday 17 December 2014.
- 48: JOINT MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE – PROGRESS REPORT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 07.11.2014
- St Helena Government has uploaded its progress report on the commitments made at the Joint Ministerial Conference in 2013.
- 49: St Helena: ACTING GOVERNOR TAKES THE OATHS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 06.11.2014
- Head of the Governor’s Office, Sean Burns, this afternoon took the prescribed Oaths as Acting Governor, in the presence of the Acting Sheriff of St Helena, Mr Harry Legg OBE JP,
- 50: STEDSON FRANCIS RECEIVES BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL - St Helena (Heritage) - 05.11.2014
- At a special dinner, hosted by HE Governor Capes last evening (4 November 2014), Stedson Graham Francis of Thompsons Wood was formally presented with his British Empire Medal (BEM), awarded to him under HM Queen’s Birthday Honours in June of this year.
- 51: BUDGETARY AID MISSION DRAWS TO A CLOSE - St Helena (Business News) - 05.11.2014
- The DFID Budgetary Aid Mission (BAM) comprising team members, Senior Economic Adviser, Doug Winslow, Senior Social Development Adviser, Mary Thompson and St Helena Programme Manager, David Finan depart the Island tomorrow (6 November 2014) having held discussions for agreeing a three year budget for St Helena.
- 52: LANDSCAPE & ECOLOGY MITIGATION PROGRAMME PROGRESSING WELL (LEMP) - St Helena (Agriculture) - 04.11.2014
- The Landscape & Ecology Mitigation Programme (LEMP), part of St Helena Government’s Airport Project, is progressing well, with new staff recruitments, facilities and plants.
- 53: St Helena - EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 23.09.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 23 September, for a special meeting to consider the development of a hotel in Jamestown.
- 54: St Helena: GOVERNOR WELCOMES NEW SENIOR COLLEAGUES - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 23.06.2014
- HE Governor Capes formally welcomed the new Chief Secretary, Roy Burke and his wife Jill, and the new DfID resident Representative Morgan Riley - at a reception at Plantation House on Friday 20 June 2014
- 55: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 56: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 57: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.