|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | Saint Helena|
SAINT HELENA: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (80) - Archived (1576) - All (1656)
- 1: NEW ST HELENA FERRY - St Helena (Business News) - 03.07.2015
- The St Helena Ferry Service saw the delivery of its new vessel on 30 June 2015.
- 2: St Helena: NEW HEALTH DIRECTOR - St Helena (Health) - 03.07.2015
- Darren Clarke has been appointed the new Director of Health for St Helena, and arrived on Island on Thursday 18 June 2015 on a two year contract.
- 3: St Helena: LADDER HILL ROAD CLOSURE - St Helena (Business News) - 02.07.2015
- Diversion signs will be in place and, as usual, emergency service vehicles will be granted access.
- 4: St Helena: POLICE INVESTIGATION - St Helena (Legal) - 02.07.2015
- This press release is further to the release issued by the Chief of Police on 19 May 2015.
- 5: Opportunities for investment on St Helena were announced by Governor Capes - St Helena (Business News) - 01.07.2015
- Opportunities for investment on the island of St Helena were announced by Governor Mark Capes and Chief Executive for Economic Development, Enterprise St Helena, Dr Niall O’Keeffe at a function hosted by British Consul General Chris Trott in Cape Town.
- 6: St helena: APPOINTMENT OF PRESIDENT AND JUSTICES TO ST HELENA COURT OF APPEAL - St Helena (Legal) - 30.06.2015
- On Tuesday 23 June 2015 - and after conducting an open and rigorous recruitment process -
- 7: St Helena: E-SAFETY GUIDES FOR PARENTS AND YOUNG PEOPLE - St Helena (Education) - 30.06.2015
- As part of St Helena’s safeguarding projects, the Safeguarding Children’s Board has this week launched two leaflets - one for parents & guardians and one for young people - providing information on the safe use of the internet and using the internet wisely.
- 8: St Helena: COUNCILLORS’ CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS IN AUGUST - St Helena (Business News) - 30.06.2015
- Councillors will be holding a series of Constituency Meetings during the month of August 2015.
- 9: OIL REMOVAL FROM DARKDALE - UPDATE & TV PROGRAMME - St Helena (Environment) - 29.06.2015
- Andy Liddell of MOD’s Salvage & Marine Operations division - currently on St Helena to lead on the operation to remove oil from the RFA Darkdale wreck
- 10: RESULTS OF SHG EMPLOYEE OPINION SURVEY PUBLISHED - St Helena (Business News) - 29.06.2015
- A full report of results from the SHG 2015 Employee Opinion Survey has today been published on the SHG website.
- 11: WASTE MANAGEMENT ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Environment) - 29.06.2015
- The Environmental Management Division of the Environment & Natural Resources Directorate (ENRD) has this week launched an information leaflet on St Helena’s Waste Management Services.
- 12: St Helena: NURSERY PROVISION - St Helena (Education) - 29.06.2015
- Since 2012, the Education & Employment Directorate have trialled the admission of children, approaching their third birthday, into Nursery classes in the Primary Schools.
- 13: SEA FREIGHT SERVICE POST-RMS - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 24.06.2015
- SHG is pleased to announce that AW Ship Management Ltd (AWSML) has been selected as Preferred Bidder for the sea freight service to St Helena after the RMS St Helena leaves service next year.
- 14: LIMITED CRANE OPERATIONS AT THE WHARF - St Helena (Business News) - 23.06.2015
- The public and businesses are advised that due to the illness of the substantive Crane Operator,
- 15: DARKDALE PROJECT - RESTRICTIONS IN JAMES’ BAY - St Helena (Business News) - 23.06.2015
- A team led by the UK’s Ministry of Defence (MOD) is currently on St Helena to remove remaining fuel oil from the wreck of the RFA Darkdale in James’ Bay (see press release of 14 April 2015).
- 16: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 23 JUNE 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 23.06.2015
- Executive Council met today Tuesday, 23 June 2015.
- 17: PASSAGE FARES – FINAL VOYAGES OF RMS ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 23.06.2015
- In its meeting of Tuesday, 12 May 2015, Executive Council approved the RMS Shipping Schedule from April 2016 to July 2016.
- 18: LOCAL OFFICERS PROMOTED TO SERGEANT - St Helena (Business News) - 23.06.2015
- The Chief of Police has announced this week that, following a challenging promotion selection process, two local officers will be promoted to the rank of Sergeant within the St Helena Police Service.
- 19: SAFE USE OF PERSONAL WATER CRAFT DRAFT RULES – COMMENTS WELCOME - St Helena (Business News) - 23.06.2015
- At their meeting of 6 May 2015 Port Control and key stakeholders agreed the following draft set of rules and regulations for the safe use of Personal Water Craft (PWC), such as jet-skis and speedboats, in and around the waters of St Helena:
- 20: BILLS TO BE TAKEN TO FORMAL LEGCO - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 23.06.2015
- A formal meeting of Legislative Council will take place at the Court House on Monday 6 July 2015.
- 21: St Helena Statistical Yearbook 2013-14 - St Helena (Business News) - 22.06.2015
- Updates to the St Helena Statistical Yearbook 2013-14 are now available on the St Helena Government website:
- 22: SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN’S BOARD GRANT SCHEME - St Helena (Health) - 22.06.2015
- The Safeguarding Children’s Board would like to thank all organisations who applied for the Safeguarding Grant.
- 23: NEW SEED ASPIRATOR FOR EMD - St Helena (Environment) - 19.06.2015
- The Environmental Management Division (EMD), at Scotland, has recently been trialling a new ‘Seed Aspirator’
- 24: MUSEUM CAR PARK CLOSURE - St Helena (Business News) - 19.06.2015
- Following routine inspections of the ledges and slopes near the Museum in Jamestown, the Environment & Natural Resources Directorate
- 25: CONFIRMATION OF IATA CODE FOR ST HELENA AIRPORT - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 18.06.2015
- SHG is pleased to announce that the Airport Code HLE has been designated for St Helena Airport, for use by airlines and computer reservation systems.
- 26: OPENING OF DISTRICT CLINICS - St Helena (Health) - 18.06.2015
- The Health Directorate has announced that Nurse-led clinics are now reopening in the Island’s districts. Opening times are as follows:
- 27: VISIT OF FRENCH NAVY SHIP - St Helena (Heritage) - 17.06.2015
- The French Navy Ship ‘Albatros’ is moored in James’ Bay on a two day visit to St Helena, en route from Reunion Island to Brest, France, where she will be decommissioned.
- 28: DIABETES WEEK 2015 14 - 20 June 2015 - St Helena (Health) - 17.06.2015
- This week the Health Directorate will engage in promotional events to highlight the issue of Diabetes on Island and worldwide.
- 29: FREE SPECTACLES AND HEARING AIDS EXTENDED TO 16-18 YEAR OLDS - St Helena (Business News) - 16.06.2015
- On 2 June 2015 the Safeguarding Children’s Board announced that children under the age of 16 years on St Helena will receive their spectacles and hearing aid prescriptions for free.
- 30: EXCO REPORT - TUESDAY 16 JUNE 2015 - St Helena (Legal) - 16.06.2015
- There were two items for discussion on the Open Agenda, the first of which was the Social Security (Amendment) Bill, which ExCo agreed should be presented to Formal Legislative Council on Monday, 6 July 2015.
- 31: NEW PRISON MANAGER FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 16.06.2015
- A new Prison Manager has been recruited to lead the team working within HM Prison, Jamestown.
- 32: DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE? - St Helena (Health) - 16.06.2015
- The Safeguarding Children’s Board has today launched an awareness campaign around knowing where your children are.
- 33: BABY PLAYDAY - St Helena (Education) - 12.06.2015
- A Baby PlayDay was organised by staff at the Health Directorate on Wednesday 10 June 2015 and mothers with babies born in 2014 or 2015 were invited to attend the event, held at Princes Lodge.
Midwife Rosemary Mittens said:
- 34: BIRTHDAY HONOURS 2015 - St Helena (Heritage) - 12.06.2015
- ‘I am pleased to announce the award of a BEM (British Empire Medal) to Mr Dereck Rogers, in recognition of his services to the community of Tristan da Cunha.
- 35: RUPERT’S VALLEY PROPOSED LANDSCAPE DESIGNS - St Helena (Business News) - 09.06.2015
- The Landscape and Ecology Mitigation Programme (LEMP) team is now seeking feedback from the community regarding proposed landscape design options for Rupert’s Valley, in those areas affected by the Airport Project construction footprint.
- 36: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 9 JUNE 2015 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.06.2015
- There was one item for discussion on the Closed Agenda, which was a request from Saint FM Community Radio for financial assistance.
- 37: AERIAL PHOTOS OF ST HELENA AIRPORT NOW ONLINE - St Helena (Business News) - 08.06.2015
- Showcasing the remarkable progress made at the St Helena Airport site is a selection of aerial photos, now available on the St Helena Access website.
- 38: HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM FOR PRISONERS - St Helena (Health) - 08.06.2015
- As part of the Safeguarding Children Board’s continued mission to protect the more vulnerable members of the Island’s community, the Board has successfully funded the renovation of a separate waiting room facility at the General Hospital.
- 39: COUNCILLOR THOMAS RETURNS FROM CPA EXECUTIVE COMMITEE MEETING - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 26.05.2015
- Councillor Derek Thomas returned from Sabah Malaysia on 9 May 2014, having attended the mid-year Executive Committee Meeting of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) which was hosted by the Sabah Branch.
- 40: LAUNCH OF BODY WORN CAMERAS BY THE ST HELENA POLICE SERVICE - St Helena (Legal) - 26.05.2015
- The St Helena Police Service will soon be patrolling wearing new ‘body worn cameras’
- 41: PUBLIC MEETING PROPOSED NEW RULES AND REGULATIONS - St Helena (Education) - 26.05.2015
- The Port Control Section invites members of the public to attend an open discussion on the proposed new rules and regulations regarding the safe use of PWC in St Helena waters.
- 42: ST HELENA ARCHIVES CLOSURE - St Helena (Education) - 26.05.2015
- The St Helena Archives would like to inform the public that they will be closed tomorrow Wednesday, 27 May 2015, due to a Staff Development Day.
- 43: PROVISIONAL REGISTER OF ELECTORS PUBLISHED - St Helena (Legal) - 18.05.2015
- To register, persons must:
Be over the age of 18 years with St Helena as their ordinary place of residence
- 44: PROVIDING INVOICES TO H.M. CUSTOMS & EXCISE UPON IMPORTATION OF GOODS TO ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 18.05.2015
- H.M. Customs & Excise have noted a steady increase in the number of individuals importing items to the Island which are not supported by an official invoice or suitable documentation that provides evidence as to the value of that particular item(s).
- 45: INTERNATIONAL NURSES DAY 2015 - St Helena (Health) - 08.05.2015
- International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world annually on 12 May - the anniversary of Florence Nightingale's birth.
- 46: COUNCILLORS DUNCAN AND WARD PEARCE TO ATTEND OVERSEAS CONFERENCE AND SEMINAR - St Helena (Business News) - 06.05.2015
- Councillors Wilson Duncan and Pamela Ward Pearce (photos attached), will depart the Island on Monday 11 May 2015 to attend a conference in Cyprus and a seminar in Nicaragua, respectively.
- 47: VE DAY LIGHTING UP THE SKIES - St Helena (Heritage) - 05.05.2015
- St Helena will join more than 200 Beacon locations in lighting a special Beacon to mark the 70th Anniversary of Victory in Europe Day
- 48: COMMEMORATION OF NAPOLEON’S DEATH - St Helena (Business News) - 04.05.2015
- A Commemoration of Napoleon’s Death on St Helena took place at Napoleon’s Tomb, on Saturday 2 May 2015 at 10am.
- 49: NOMINATIONS INVITED FOR CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR, AND - St Helena (Heritage) - 04.05.2015
- Nominations are currently being invited for the Certificate and Badge of Honour Awards, 2015.
- 50: 70th ANNIVERSARY OF VICTORY IN EUROPE - St Helena (Heritage) - 04.05.2015
- The 70th Anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE) Day will be commemorated from Friday 8 May – Sunday 10 May 2015. St Helena will be echoing the events in London in commemoration of those who contributed to the War effort throughout the Second World War.
- 51: PARENTS PROTECT AWARENESS SESSION - St Helena (Health) - 23.03.2015
- A Parents Protect Awareness Session will be held at the Jamestown Community Centre tomorrow evening, Tuesday 24 March 2015,
- 52: SHIPPING - POST-RMS FREIGHT SERVICES UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 10.12.2014
- The public will be aware of recent visits from potential Ocean Freight Services providers Seafast, Hartman Project Lines (HPL) and Meihuizen Atlantic Islands Services (MAIS) between October and November this year.
- 53: ST HELENA SUPREME COURT CONCLUDES - St Helena (Legal) - 10.12.2014
- At the conclusion of the current sitting of the St Helena Supreme Court on Monday (8 December 2014), St Helena Government and the St Helena Police Service welcomed the sentences handed down by the Chief Justice, and hope this sends a clear message to the community.
- 54: NEW SAFEGUARDING DIRECTORATE TO LAUNCH & CBU RENAMED - St Helena (Legal) - 28.11.2014
- As previously announced, a new Safeguarding Directorate will be created in SHG from Monday 1 December 2014, the purpose of which is to - Protect and Safeguard Vulnerable Children, Young People and Adults at Risk or Suffering From Abuse.
- 55: CORPORATE SUPPORT THANKS POPPY APPEAL DONATORS - St Helena (Business News) - 28.11.2014
- Corporate Support staff would like to extend sincere thanks to everyone who supported this year’s fundraising in aid of the 2014 Poppy Appeal Fund and to all who attended the Remembrance Service on Sunday 9 November 2014.
- 56: WHARF USAGE - REMINDER - St Helena (Business News) - 27.11.2014
- The public is reminded that no unathorised vehicles can be parked on the Wharf after working hours (ie from 4pm to 8.30am Monday to Friday). Similarly at weekends, the Wharf will be closed from 4pm Friday afternoon through to Monday morning at 8.30pm.
- 57: ATTORNEY GENERAL SWORN IN - St Helena (Legal) - 26.11.2014
- On 26 November 2014, Nicola Moore was sworn in as Attorney General for St Helena, taking the required Oaths necessary to serve on Executive and Legislative Councils, in the presence of Acting Governor Sean Burns.
- 58: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 25 NOVEMBER - St Helena (Legal) - 25.11.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 25 November 2014, to consider three items on the open agenda.
- 59: ANDREW WEIR GROUP ANNOUNCES SALE OF SHIPPING LINE - St Helena (Business News) - 21.11.2014
- The owners of the Andrew Weir Group (AWG) recently embarked on a financial restructuring exercise to enable a debt owed to the Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund (MNOPF) to be cleared and to move forward on other core non-marine activities.
- 60: SUPREME COURT IN SESSION - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- The formal opening of the St Helena Supreme Court took place yesterday, Tuesday 18 November, at 2pm. Various Civil and Criminal cases will be heard by the Supreme Court until Wednesday 10 December 2014.
- 61: SHG Concerns about unauthorised Access Road use - St Helena (Business News) - 19.11.2014
- In recent weeks, there has been a considerable increase in the unauthorised use of the Airport Access Road, leading to concerns about the safety of the public and protection of the environment.
- 62: SHG UK REPRESENTATIVE’S OFFICE - NEW CONTACT DETAILS - St Helena (Business News) - 18.11.2014
The public is advised that the SHG UK Representative, Mrs Kedell Worboys MBE and her team will be moving office on Thursday 20 November 2014.
- 63: St HELENA GIS DAY 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 18.11.2014
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Day is a worldwide event held every year in more than 80 countries across the world.
- 64: St Helena: Good news for the General Hospital - St Helena (Health) - 18.11.2014
- 2 Articles The St Helena General Hospital has recently received two new operating tables from the Lund University Hospital in Sweden, sourced by the Medico Technical Engineer, Jorgen Larsson from the Swedish Hospital where our Senior Medical Officer, Dr Attila Frigyesi hails from.
- 65: COUNCILLOR CHRISTINE SCIPIO-O’DEAN RETURNS FROM OVERSEAS CONFERENCE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.11.2014
- Councillor Christine Scipio-O’Dean recently returned to the Island having attended the 60th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference and 34th Small Branches Conference in Cameroon, in October of this year.
The 34th Small Branches Conference comprised of three plenary sessions:
- 66: PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL COMMEMORATES REMEMBRANCE DAY - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- Prince Andrew School commemorated Remembrance Day in a special assembly, led by students from Year 12, on Tuesday 11 November 2014.
- 67: LIFELONG LEARNING CERTIFICATE PRESENTATION 2014 - St Helena (Education) - 14.11.2014
- The Lifelong Learning Awards Ceremony was held on Thursday, 13 November 2014 at the Education Learning Centre. Awards went to individuals who participated and completed the Livelihoods Programme, Apprenticeship Scheme and NVQs in Customer Service, Crop Production, Health and Social Care, Environmental Conservation, Land Based and Business Administration.
- 68: ENHANCING SAFE FLIGHTS WITH UK MET OFFICE WEATHER FORECAST SERVICE - St Helena (Business News) - 14.11.2014
- Today, it has been announced that the operations of St Helena Airport will be supported by the UK Met Office, one of the world's foremost weather and climate service providers. The UK Met Office will be responsible for providing an on-Island weather forecasting service.
- 69: St Helena: CLOSURE OF CUSTOMS TAX AND PORT MANAGEMENT BUILDING - St Helena (Business News) - 13.11.2014
- The public is advised that the Customs, Tax and Port Management building will be closed
- 70: St Helena MAJOR INCIDENT EXERCISE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 11.11.2014
- As previously announced in June of this year, SHG and the private sector are gearing up for a major incident exercise to be held on St Helena on Wednesday 17 December 2014.
- 71: JOINT MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE – PROGRESS REPORT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 07.11.2014
- St Helena Government has uploaded its progress report on the commitments made at the Joint Ministerial Conference in 2013.
- 72: St Helena: ACTING GOVERNOR TAKES THE OATHS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 06.11.2014
- Head of the Governor’s Office, Sean Burns, this afternoon took the prescribed Oaths as Acting Governor, in the presence of the Acting Sheriff of St Helena, Mr Harry Legg OBE JP,
- 73: STEDSON FRANCIS RECEIVES BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL - St Helena (Heritage) - 05.11.2014
- At a special dinner, hosted by HE Governor Capes last evening (4 November 2014), Stedson Graham Francis of Thompsons Wood was formally presented with his British Empire Medal (BEM), awarded to him under HM Queen’s Birthday Honours in June of this year.
- 74: BUDGETARY AID MISSION DRAWS TO A CLOSE - St Helena (Business News) - 05.11.2014
- The DFID Budgetary Aid Mission (BAM) comprising team members, Senior Economic Adviser, Doug Winslow, Senior Social Development Adviser, Mary Thompson and St Helena Programme Manager, David Finan depart the Island tomorrow (6 November 2014) having held discussions for agreeing a three year budget for St Helena.
- 75: LANDSCAPE & ECOLOGY MITIGATION PROGRAMME PROGRESSING WELL (LEMP) - St Helena (Agriculture) - 04.11.2014
- The Landscape & Ecology Mitigation Programme (LEMP), part of St Helena Government’s Airport Project, is progressing well, with new staff recruitments, facilities and plants.
- 76: St Helena - EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 23.09.2014
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 23 September, for a special meeting to consider the development of a hotel in Jamestown.
- 77: St Helena: GOVERNOR WELCOMES NEW SENIOR COLLEAGUES - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 23.06.2014
- HE Governor Capes formally welcomed the new Chief Secretary, Roy Burke and his wife Jill, and the new DfID resident Representative Morgan Riley - at a reception at Plantation House on Friday 20 June 2014
- 78: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 79: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 80: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.