|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | April 2010|
Articles published in April 2010Select individual articles below or view all 34 articles on one page.
34 articles published
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (35)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
|Jan (23)||Feb (25)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (51)||May (47)||Jun (46)|
|Jul (53)||Aug (48)||Sep (47)|
|Oct (51)||Nov (27)||Dec (32)|
- 1: No Rain on Queen’s Birthday Parade in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.04.2010
- A parade to celebrate the 84th birthday of Her Majesty the Queen was held at Victory Green on Wednesday 21st April 2010.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 2: FIRS Goes One to One with Dick Sawle and Ken Johnson - Falklands (Business News) - 22.04.2010
- FIRS quizzes Dick Sawle ans Ken Johnson about the proposed new Port
- 3: St Helena EXCO REPORT 46 – 20th April 2010 - St Helena (Business News) - 22.04.2010
- We have had some lengthy EXCOs over the past few months and this one was no exception. However it has meant that I was unable to get my report out on the day, for which I apologise.
- 4: Socio-economic Information for St Helena - St Helena (Business News) - 22.04.2010
- Throughout this bulletin all averages refer to the median. In the case of salaries this is the middle full-time salary when salaries are listed from lowest to the highest. In the case of household expenditure it is the middle amount spent when the expenditure of each household is listed from lowest to highest.
- 5: St Helena RMS More Work to be Done - St Helena (Shipping/Freight) - 22.04.2010
- Following the visit of DfID Director Sue Wardell to St.Helena, work has begun to see if the twin ideas of giving tourism priority and doing away with the monopoly on freight to the Island could provide a pathway towards the improvement of the Island’s economy.
- 6: Falklands Military Comments on Impact of Volcanic Ash on the Airbridge - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 21.04.2010
- A Military spokesperson in the Falklands has said that the volcanic eruption in Iceland continues to generate a plume of ash, which presents a threat to aviation. The ash is currently spreading across the UK and Northern Europe. Restrictions on aircraft entering UK airspace will remain in force at least until midnight tonight (Mon/Tues).
- 7: Security Issues lead to Impromptu Exercise - Falklands (Business News) - 21.04.2010
- Party-goers and those in pubs on Saturday night became alarmed when they saw nurses, doctors, security personnel, FIDF members and Policemen and women departing to go to work.
- 8: Chief Medical Officer Reports on MRSA - Falklands (Health) - 21.04.2010
- Healthy People can get MRSA. MRSA skin infections are showing up more frequently in healthy people, with none of the usual risks factors. This type of MRSA - called community-associated MRSA (CA MRSA) - has been reported among athletes, prisoners, and military recruits. Outbreaks have been seen at schools, gyms, day care centres and other places where people are in close proximity.
- 9: Falklands Reindeer Round-up - Falklands (Agriculture) - 21.04.2010
- In the middle of February 2010 a further attempt was made to have a complete muster of the reindeer herd situated at Albemarle.
- 10: No Name Change for Malvina House Hotel - Falklands (Business News) - 21.04.2010
- The owners of the Malvina House Hotel, Stanley Serviced limited (SSL), have announced on Monday that there will be no change for the foreseeable future to the name of the hotel.
- 11: A Report on Ascension Island's Budget - Ascension (Gen - Government) - 21.04.2010
- The budget for the financial year 2010/11has now been approved by the Governor rand we received notification on 31 March that the Appropriation Ordinance 2010 has been published in the St Helena Government Gazette giving this effect.
- 12: A Gabber with St Helena’s Governor Gurr - St Helena (Business News) - 21.04.2010
- Although we bring you news and opinion every week it's always interesting to hear the Governor's opinion. On a frequent basis Governor Gurr will tell us what he thinks about current issues.
- 13: Falklands ready for Round 2 as Rockhopper Spuds Sea Lion 14/10-B Exploration Well - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 16.04.2010
- Rockhopper Exploration plc, a North Falkland Basin oil and gas exploration company, has announced that the Sea Lion 14/10-B Exploration well was spudded at 0050hrs BST on 16 April 2010.
- 14: Tourist Arrivals in the Falklands Could Increase by 17% in 2010 - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 10.04.2010
- The Falkland Islands Tourist Board has reported that with the global tourism outlook improving, overall tourist arrivals in the Falklands are forecast to increase by 17% in 2010.
- 15: Fortuna Exhibits at the International Boston Seafood Show 2010 - Falklands (Business News) - 10.04.2010
- Fortuna Limited has announced that Falkland Island’s products went on show last month at the largest seafood event held in North America, the International Boston Seafood Show 2010.
- 16: M/V KELSO SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED ANOTHER NAME - Tristan (Business News) - 10.04.2010
- The former M/V KELSO, renamed M/Y TIANIC, is in the news again because an RNLIlifeboatsman helped co-ordinate a Caribbean sea rescue while out DIY shopping in Britain after a friend called to say he was on sinking ship called Titanic
- 17: FITZROY FARM TO HOST RBA SHEEP SHOW - S.Atlantic (Agriculture) - 10.04.2010
- The Rural Business Association will be hosting a sheep show at Fitzroy Farm on Saturday, 10 April 2010 beginning at 1000hrs with all sheep being penned by 1030hrs.
- 18: Planning and Building Committee Report (01 April 2010) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 10.04.2010
- This month’s meeting of the Planning and Building Committee began with words of welcome to new lay member Jacky Cotter from the Chair, Cllr Sharon Halford.
- 19: TRISTAN INVOLVEMENT IN MSC EX IN CAPE TOWN - Tristan (Business News) - 10.04.2010
- The 7th South African International Commercial Fishing and Maritime Services Exhibition Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Has met in Cape Town.
- 20: Desire Petroleum Announces a Gas Discovery - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 06.04.2010
- Desire Petroleum has announced that the Liz well 14/19-1, drilled by Desire Petroleum plc, in the North Falkland Basin, has reached a total depth of 3,667 metres and that final logging has been completed. The well is now being plugged and abandoned as a gas discovery.
- 21: It's Time for 'the Guardian' to Learn a Few Facts About Falklands' Oil - Falklands (Business News) - 04.04.2010
- Constitutionally the mineral resources in the North Falkland Basin belong to the Government of the Falkland Islands
- 22: Falklands: Summary of Executive Council Meeting 25 March 2010 - Falklands (Legal) - 03.04.2010
- Executive Council this time round had a change of faces around the table. In the absence of the Hon Dick Sawle and Roger Edwards who are currently overseas, the Hon Emma Edwards and Sharon Halford were the nominated stand ins.
- 23: Falklands: Message from the Falkland Islands Government on the 28th Anniversary of the invasion by Argentina - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- Today we remember the events of 2 April 1982 which led to the deaths of over nine hundred people in the Falkland Islands over a period of 74 days.
- 24: Public Now Confident about Sapper Hill Minefield - Falklands (Environment) - 03.04.2010
- About 30 members of the demining team from BACTEC and 100 members of the public attended a demonstration on Sapper Hill on Thursday to show public confidence that the minefield that had been established since 1982 had been completely cleared.
- 25: Falklands Governor's Flag Display in Penang - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- Mr Clay Moss, (left) from the Dalat International School in Penang Malaysia is pictured with his Vexillology class - the study of flags.
- 26: Human rights Capacity Training Given in the Falklands - Falklands (Legal) - 03.04.2010
- Seminars on Building Human rights capacity in the Falkland Islands have been held in Stanley during this past week.
- 27: Falklands Education Department Reports on March Activities - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 03.04.2010
- A meeting of the Education Board took place on Monday, 22 march 2010. There were many items on the agenda but most relevant is the Director’s report.
- 28: Falklands General Purposes Committee Report for March 2010 - Falklands (Business News) - 03.04.2010
- A meeting of the General Purposes Committee took place on Wednesday, 24 March 2010 at Gilbert House. On Friday, 26 March Mrs Sharon Halford, MLA, briefed the media on what happened at that meeting.
- 29: Westminster Seminar ‘Interesting and Informative’ says Falklands Assembly Member - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 03.04.2010
- The Hon Dick Sawle, Member of Legislative Assembly, is due to return to the Falkland Islands today after attending the Westminster Seminar on Parliamentary Practices and Procedures, which he has described as ‘interesting and informative’.
- 30: Corporal Sets New Course Record in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- Corporal Frear recently participated in the Stanley Marathon, not only winning the event outright but also setting a new course record.
- 31: Earth Hour Celebrated in the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- The Falkland Islands became the 125th territory to participate in the global ‘Earth Hour’ event on Saturday March 27, 2010.
- 32: Improvement in the Darkdale Incident - St Helena (Business News) - 03.04.2010
- Since our last report on 4 March 2010, the St Helena Government has continued to monitor closely the oil leak from the wreck of the 'Darkdale'.
- 33: It's All GO for Falklands' Team Tranquil - Falklands (Education) - 03.04.2010
- Though Team Tranquil operates in the background, members have been busy on a variety of projects beginning with two training sessions for the listening line. One more person has joined volunteer listeners who are available for confidential service.
- 34: St Helena's Tortoises at Plantation House - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 01.04.2010
- He could be the oldest living creature in the world and he lives on the lawn in front of Plantation House