|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | May 2010|
Articles published in May 2010Select individual articles below or view all 53 articles on one page.
53 articles published
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (25)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
|Jan (23)||Feb (25)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (51)||May (47)||Jun (46)|
|Jul (53)||Aug (48)||Sep (47)|
|Oct (51)||Nov (27)||Dec (32)|
- 1: Hon Sharon Halford MLA reports on C P A Regional Conference - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.05.2010
- The annual conference of the British Islands and Mediterranean Region of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association held on the Isle of Man from 10 to 14 May was attended by the Honourable Sharon Halford, MLA.
- 2: 2010 Shackleton Awards Announced - Falklands (Education) - 26.05.2010
- David Tatham, Former Falklands' Governor, announces the 2010 academic awards of the Shackleton Scholarship Fund .
- 3: New Training Facility for the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Education) - 26.05.2010
- Vast resources for training and qualifications are available for the Falkland Islands’ population at the modern new premises of the Falkland Islands Government’s Training Centre.
- 4: Falklands join International Association of Prosecutors - Falklands (Legal) - 26.05.2010
- FIG has announced the grant organisational membership of the International Association of Prosecutors (IAP) to its legal department.
- 5: Falklands Governor Addresses Legislative Assembly for Last Time - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.05.2010
- Over the last two years, the format of the Governor’s address has been changed so that it reflects the views and policies of elected representatives rather than the Governor’s own.
- 6: Director of Public Finance Presents Falklands' Budget 2010 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.05.2010
- The purpose of this bill is to authorise the appropriation of monies from the Consolidated Fund for the next financial year. Before I set out the details, I would like to say a few words about the background in which this budget was prepared.
- 7: Falklands' Finance Director Highlights 2010 budget - Falklands (Business News) - 26.05.2010
- Keith Padgett explains the highlights of the 2010/11 budget proposals
- 8: FALKLANDS OIL: The Argentines should be talking to us - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 25.05.2010
- British Ambassador in Buenos Aires Shan Morgan has been given an ultimatum to deliver a formal reply to the complaint that recently appointed British Prime Minister David Cameron had made over the strict control and restrictions imposed by the government of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner on all cargo navigating between Argentina and Malvinas Islands by 12pm on Monday, 24 May 2010.
- 9: Falklands Public Meeting Report 24/05/10 - Falklands (Business News) - 25.05.2010
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall on Monday, 24 may 2010 beginning at 1700hrs
- 10: Falklands Sea and marine Cadets Pass Inspection With Flying Colours - Falklands (Education) - 25.05.2010
- The Sea and Marine Cadets held their annual inspection on Sunday evening at Cadet HQ. Family members and friends attended the ceremonial inspection as well as evolutions. Evolutions included dancing the “Hornpipe” and setting up a “Basha” including the cooking of com rations – without the benefit of a fire.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 11: Mari-Ann Clarke Falklands May Queen 2010 - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.05.2010
- The picture shows left to rightt, Prince Charming, Dominic Jaffray,May Queen, Mari-Ann Clarke, H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle, May Princess Nina Humphreys and Prince Charming Runner-up, Kyran Evans. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 12: St Helena Report on Home and International Committee - St Helena (Business News) - 21.05.2010
- Since the new Legislative Council was formed with the new portfolios and committee structures, the Home & International Committee’s scheduled meetings are held each 2nd Wednesday of the month and regular meetings have been held since January 2010.
- 13: St Helena Government Wants Temporary Accommodation for Councillors during Supreme Court Sessions - St Helena (Legal) - 21.05.2010
- During the Supreme Court sessions, commencing Friday, 21 May, Councillors will no longer have use of the Councillors Common Room or Small Court, adjacent to the Court House.
- 14: RFA Black Rover Trip around St Helena - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 21.05.2010
- We are very happy to announce the names of the people who have taken up the Black Rover’s offer of a trip around the Island on the 23rd May. They are:
- 15: Civilian Chaplains to the Military visit British Forces South Atlantic Islands - All (Heritage) - 21.05.2010
- Mount Pleasant and the local community proudly joined together last week to welcome the five MOD-employed chaplains of different faiths on their first visit to an operational theatre.
- 16: Britain Refutes Argentine Shipping Decree about the Falklands - Falklands (Legal) - 21.05.2010
- The United Kingdom has firmly rejected the issuing and promulgation of Presidential Decree 256/2010 and Disposition 14/2010, pertaining to authorisation requirements placed on shipping to and from Argentina, the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands and considers that Presidential Decree 256/2010 and Disposition 14/2010 are not compliant with international law, including the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- 17: Falkland Islands Government writes to new Minister of State - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 21.05.2010
- The Falkland Islands Government has sent a letter of congratulations to the new Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth, Jeremy Browne MP, who has responsibility for South America and the Overseas Territories.
- 18: FIRS Throws the Spotlight on Stuart Wallace - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 21.05.2010
- Stacey Bragger (FIRS) announces that on today’s programme I will be talking to the Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, Stuart Wallace (SW). We discussed the future direction of the Committee and a recent familiarisation visit to the UK. To begin with Stuart Wallace gave a summary of the Committee’s history to date.
- 19: Prince William’s Falklands Tour Take 2 - Falklands (Snippets) - 17.05.2010
- The Sun carries an article by James Clench saying that search-and-rescue pilot HRH Prince William, 27, is set to stay at RAF Mount Pleasant while his squadron provides cover for the Islands.
- 20: Falkland Islands Exposed on display at Jetty Visitor Centre - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 17.05.2010
- The winners of the Falklands Exposed photography competition have been selected from 1,300 images and along with more than 120 finalist's pictures are now on display at the Jetty Visitors Centre.
- 21: Liberty Lodge and KEMH Benefit from Boxer Bridge Yomp - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.05.2010
- A charity walk to Boxer Bridge in April helped to raise £2,000.00 for Liberty Lodge and £1300.00 for the KEMH.
- 22: Falkland Islands Government writes to British ministers - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 14.05.2010
- The Falkland Islands Government has sent letters of congratulation to British Prime Minister David Cameron, Foreign Secretary William Hague and Defence Secretary Liam Fox on their appointments.
- 23: 40 YEARS WITHOUT THE SS GREAT BRITAIN REMEBERED AT MUSEUM - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.05.2010
- A reception to commemorate 40 years since the Brunel’s SS Great Britain’s removal to the UK was held at the Museum on Thursday, 13 May 2010. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 24: St Helena ExCo Report 46 – 11th May 2010 - St Helena (Legal) - 13.05.2010
Today’s ExCo meeting was again quite lengthy, with a lot of useful discussion of practical issues. Councillor Brian Isaac continued to stand in for Councillor Tara Thomas.
- 25: RFA Black Rover Offers Helenas a Trip Around St Helena - St Helena (Business News) - 13.05.2010
- If your name is “Helena” then you are in for a special treat!
- 26: MPA Falklands Celebrates 25 Years of Service - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.05.2010
- In mid1983 a decision was taken by HMG to purchase land in the Falklands for £29.00 an acre from the Falkland Islands Company at Mount Pleasant and build an international airport on the property.
- 27: Falkland Islands represented at London Festival of Stamps - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.05.2010
- Postmaster Moira Eccles is attending the 2010 International Stamp Exhibition, which is being held from 8th to 15th May.
- 28: St Helena Prepared for Rift Valley Fever in South Africa - St Helena (Health) - 12.05.2010
- The UK Health Protection Agency Focal Point has issued a warning to travellers to South Africa to the effect that South Africa is experiencing an outbreak of Rift Valley Fever (RVF) and that a number of animal and human deaths have occurred.
- 29: HMS Clyde in Search and Rescue Mission - Br.Ant.Territory (Tourism/Travel) - 11.05.2010
- At 1900 (South Georgia time) on 7 May 10, HMS CLYDE was urgently re-tasked to launch a search and rescue mission in support of a stricken yacht.
- 30: Emma Edwards MLA to Attend UN C-24 Meeting in New Caledonia - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 11.05.2010
- The Hon Emma Edwards MLA is to visit Noumea in New Caledonia to attend a seminar organised by the United Nations ‘Special Committee of 24’.
- 31: Policy on Exemption of Import Duty, Wharfage and Freight Charges - St Helena (Shipping/Freight) - 11.05.2010
- In October of last year, a new policy on Exemption of Import Duty, Wharfage and Freight Charges was agreed by the Governor in Council.
- 32: Entry Visas for South Africa - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 11.05.2010
- Recently there has been some concern from the public with regard to visas for South Africa.
- 33: Rockhopper Drilling Reveals High Quality Reservoir - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 10.05.2010
- A further update on the Sea Lion Prospect revealed a high quality reservoir interval with very good porosity and permeability
- 34: HMS Clyde Rescues Lomas Family Near South Georgia - Falklands (Health) - 10.05.2010
- A Derbyshire family whose yacht hit an iceberg in the South Atlantic, has been rescued by the HMS Clyde, the Falklands protection warship, after their distress call was picked up 8,000 miles away by the Falmouth coastguard
- 35: Falklands Planning and Building Committee Report (07/05/10) - Falklands (Business News) - 10.05.2010
- Graham France Updates us on the outcome of this important Committee meeting.
- 36: Chile Earthquake Appeal Raffle Raises £2500.00 - Falklands (Business News) - 08.05.2010
- Over £25,000.00 has been raised for the Chilean Earthquake appeal. A raffle was held in the Parish Hall on Saturday for the appeal. Layla Crowie (LC) spoke to organiser, Celia Short (CS), about the event and asked how much money had been raised on the day.
- 37: Falklands Public Meeting 27 April 2010 (Part 1) - Falklands (Business News) - 08.05.2010
- A lengthy 45 minute session on telecommunications took place during the public meeting held on Tuesday, 27 April 2010.
- 38: Falklands Public Meeting 27 April 2010 (Part 2) - Falklands (Business News) - 08.05.2010
- Part 2 of a 45 minute public debate about Falklands Telecommunications
- 39: Falklands Update on Cancer Support and Awareness Trust Activities - Falklands (Health) - 08.05.2010
- The recent inaugural Mammography Screening visit was very well received by everyone involved.
- 40: Falklands Summary of Executive Council Meeting 29 April 2010 - Falklands (Legal) - 08.05.2010
- A total of 31 papers came to this month’s Executive Council held at Government House on 29th April 2010. Members attending were Jan Cheek, Dick Sawle and Roger Edwards.
- 41: Sharon Halford to Attend CPA Conference - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 08.05.2010
- The Hon Sharon Halford MLA is to attend the annual British Islands and Mediterranean Regional Conference of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, which is being held in the Isle of Man from 10 to 14 May 2010.
- 42: Rockhopper Shares Spike as Sealion Prospect Drill strikes Oil - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 06.05.2010
- Rockhopper Exploration shares are ratcheting upwards as a significant oil discovery is announced in the Company’s Sea Lion Prospect.
- 43: BNP Slaps South Atlantic Self Determination in the Face - S.Atlantic (Environment) - 04.05.2010
- People in the South Atlantic Remote Territories – British Overseas Territories – woke on Tuesday morning to discover that the British National Party has designs on one of us.
- 44: Falklands Public Meeting on Mines Held in FIDF Club - Falklands (Environment) - 01.05.2010
- Approximately 50 members of the public attended an informative public meeting at the FIDF Club at 1900hrs on Tuesday, 27 April 2010 held by the BACTEC demining team.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 45: South Georgia Reception Held at Government House - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 01.05.2010
- A reception for the 28th anniversary of the liberation of South Georgia was held at Government House on Monday, 26 April 2010.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 46: Government working to ease pressure on Airbridge flights - Falklands (Business News) - 01.05.2010
- The Falkland Islands Government is working hard to ease the pressure on the military Airbridge flights operating to RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.
- 47: Rockhopper Exploration Presentation at Chamber of Commerce - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 01.05.2010
- Rockhopper Exploration gave an informative presentation at the Falkland Islands Chamber of Commerce Function Room on Wednesday, 28 April 2010.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 48: Falklands Military Walk for Local Charities - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.05.2010
- Last weekend, thirteen personnel serving with the Catering and Rations Squadron battled it out with the weather to raise money for Stanley Hospital and Liberty Lodge.
Photo (c) Photo Section MPC
- 49: Bravo Company assists local farm - Falklands (Agriculture) - 01.05.2010
- The recently arrived Bravo Company from the King’s Royal Hussars have already started to make an impact on island, assisting Mr and Mrs Woodward with a variety of tasks around Little Chartres.
Photo (c) Photo Section MPC
- 50: Falklands Reindeer Question at Public Meeting - Falklands (Agriculture) - 01.05.2010
- A public meeting was held at 1700 hrs on Tuesday, 27 April 2010 in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall.
- 51: Falklands Airbridge flights catch up with backlog - Falklands (Business News) - 01.05.2010
- The Falkland Islands Government is pleased to announce that the MOD have allocated additional seats for civilian passengers on tomorrow’s northbound Airbridge flight.
- 52: Governor Gurr To Visit Ascension Island, United Kingdom and Capetown - St Helena (Business News) - 01.05.2010
- His Excellency Governor Gurr departed St Helena earlier today enroute to the UK, on leave and overseas business. During his stopover at Ascension Island, he will take the opportunity to discuss a number of Ascension issues with the Administrator, Councillors and other officials.
- 53: Advisers Visits to St Helena - St Helena (Business News) - 01.05.2010
- My last general update on advisers’ visits to Saint Helena was published in January. Since then, we have been keeping the public regularly informed of the work being carried out in particular by advisers on health and education.