|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | March 2011|
Articles published in March 2011Select individual articles below or view all 39 articles on one page.
39 articles published
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (25)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
|Jan (23)||Feb (25)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (51)||May (47)||Jun (46)|
|Jul (53)||Aug (48)||Sep (47)|
|Oct (51)||Nov (27)||Dec (32)|
- 1: SEAMEN’S MISSION RECEIVES NEW VEHICLE - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.03.2011
- Thanks to the efforts of Debbie and Maurice Lake, previous Seamen’s Mission managers, the Stanley Seamen's Mission has recently been the recipient of a £17,400 grant from the International Transport Federation Seafarer's Trust.
- 2: SEARCH FOR MISSING SEAMEN CALLED OFF - Falklands (Environment) - 28.03.2011
- Three fishermen are presumed to have died after being reported missing from their vessel on Saturday evening.
- 3: FALKLANDS FARMERS’ MARKET A HUGE SUCCESS - Falklands (Agriculture) - 28.03.2011
- The Farmers’ Market organised and sponsored by the Rural Business Association has been a huge success with many items selling out within minutes of opening at 1400hrs on Saturday, 26 March 2011.
- 4: A FALKLANDS STORY OF SUCCESS – 10 YEARS ON - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.03.2011
- It was in November 2000, that the idea of a Charity Shop in the Falklands was muted. The three churches, Christ Church Cathedral, the Tabernacle and St. Mary’s, began making plans for a joint project.
- 5: Falklands GPC BRIEF FOR MARCH 2011 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 27.03.2011
- A meeting of General Purposes Committee took place on Wednesday, 23 March 2011 and on Thursday, 24 March 2011 The Hon Mr Roger Edwards, MLA briefed the media about what happened during this important committee meeting.
- 6: UK penguins in rehab after devastating oil spill - Tristan (Environment) - 26.03.2011
- Hundreds of oil-soaked rockhopper penguins in the South Atlantic have now been put into ‘rehab’ by Tristan Islanders facing a race against the clock to help save the endangered species. See images attached.
- 7: PUBLIC MEETING REPORT FOR TUESDAY, 22 MARCH 2011 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.03.2011
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 1700hrs on Tuesday. 22 March 2011.
- 8: Tristan da Cunha asks Jill Lawless to Please Take Note! - S.Atlantic (Environment) - 22.03.2011
- If you cared to look at the name of the bulk carrier that ran aground at Nightingale Island, it is M/V OLIVA, and not OLIVIA as you have plastered all over this story.
Photo (c) MV Prince Albert II Photographer Kristine Hannon
- 9: FORTUNA SEAFOODS Invests for the Future - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 22.03.2011
- As part of an ongoing programme of market development Fortuna Seafoods have recently been investing in promoting Falkland seafood products in the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- 10: The Oliva disaster worsens as oiled Penguins are reported at World Heritage Site - Tristan (Environment) - 21.03.2011
- The Captain of the Edinburgh Clarence October reported early Friday morning (18th March) that the Oliva had broken in two, the bow and six holds were in one part and the stern and number seven hold was in the other and that oil was starting to leak from the vessel.
Photo (c) Clarence October
- 11: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley Marathon - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- Manuel Mendez, 40, from Buenos Aires, Argentina has won the Stanley marathon in just over 3 hours. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 12: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 13: STATEMENT FROM GOVERNOR’S OFFICE: THE WRECK OF THE MS OLIVA - Tristan (Environment) - 18.03.2011
- Since this incident occurred, the authorities in Tristan have been working round the clock, first to co-ordinate the rescue of the sailors on board the stricken vessel, and now to assess the implications for the environment and wildlife.
Photo (c) MV Prince Albert II Photographer Kristine Hannon
- 14: OIL SLICK THREATENS PROTECTED WILDLIFE AREA NEAR TRISTAN DA CUNHA - Tristan (Environment) - 17.03.2011
- An oil slick from the Bulk Carrier, OLIVA is threatening the fragile ecosystem around Nightingale Island.
Photo (c) MV Prince Albert II Photographer Kristine Hannon
- 15: Tristan: Vessel Aground on Nightingale Island - Tristan (Environment) - 16.03.2011
- On the early hours of Wednesday the 16th March, a message was received at Tristan from Cape Town that the bulk carrier Oliva had ran aground at Spinners Point, Nightingale Island.
- 16: First Forum for South Atlantic Territories Cooperation - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 15.03.2011
- At the Overseas Territories Consultative Council in November 2010, St Helena, Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha and the Falklands agreed to establish a South Atlantic Territories Cooperation Forum.
- 17: Bishop Stephen returns - wearing Two Mitres! - Falklands (Education) - 14.03.2011
- This weekend, Christians based both at the Cathedral and at MPA will be among many others who’ll give a warm welcome to Bishop Stephen Venner, whose fourth visit to the Falkland Islands promises to be a busy one.
- 18: URUGUAYAN JOURNALISTS VISIT THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Education) - 13.03.2011
- Three Uruguayan Journalists and a member of Staff from the British Embassy in Montevideo, are visiting the Falklands from 5 to 12 March 2011 on a familiarisation visit.
- 19: POLICE COMMENDATIONS AWARDED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Education) - 13.03.2011
- An award of Police Commendations took place at Government House on Monday, 08 March 2011. H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood and his wife, Louise welcomed Police Officers and their family and friends to the ceremony as well as FITV, the new media outlet for the Falklands.
- 20: Falklands GPC BRIEF 08 MARCH 2011 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 13.03.2011
- A meeting of the General Purposes Committee took place on Wednesday, 23 February 2011. Due to time constraints involving a meeting of Legislative Assembly the brief did not happen until Tuesday, 08 March 2011.
- 21: FIG’s DIRECTOR OF EFFICIENCY AND PROCUREMENT RESIGNS - Falklands (Business News) - 13.03.2011
- The Falkland Islands Government’s Director of Procurement and Efficiency has resigned. FIG Chief Executive, Tim Thorogood, has confirmed that Andrew Lee has resigned from his post with effect from the beginning of September 2011.
- 22: BRITISH INTERNATIONAL LOSES RIG CONTRACT - Falklands (Business News) - 13.03.2011
- AGR Petroleum Services has decided not to renew its contract with British International Helicopters for the provision of flights for the Ocean Guardian oil rig.
- 23: St Helena Medical Services’ Review - St Helena (Health) - 10.03.2011
- Leaving the Island on 23rd February 2011 was Derek Muhl who undertook a review of the medical services provided by the Public Health and Social Services Department (PHSSD).
- 24: St Helena Report Released on Remuneration, Allowances and Expenses - St Helena (Business News) - 10.03.2011
- The St Helena Government has today, released the report of the Independent Commission for the Review of Remuneration, Allowances and Expenses for Councillors, the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker.
- 25: OUTSTANDING EVENING OF CHORAL MUSIC AT THE CATHEDRAL - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.03.2011
- An outstanding evening of choral music took place at Christ Church Cathedral on Tuesday, 22 February 2011.
- 26: Falklands Summary of Executive Council Meeting Held on 24 February 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 05.03.2011
- Sitting on Executive Council in February were the Hon Sharon Halford, Hon Jan Cheek and the Hon Glenn Ross. This was Attorney General David Pickup’s final EXCO.
- 27: Falklands Question for Written Answer No 01/2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 05.03.2011
- Could the Honourable Glenn Ross please advise me with regards to grazing of horses on Stanley Common the following:-
- 28: GOVERNOR HAYWOOD HONOURS NVQ RECIPIENTS AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Education) - 05.03.2011
- H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood has hosted a reception at Government House for students at the training centre who received a variety of certificates.
- 29: FALKLANDS PUBLIC MEETING REPORT 22/02/11 - Falklands (Business News) - 05.03.2011
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town hall at 1700hrs on Tuesday, 22 February 2011. Present were the Hon Dick Sawle, the Hon Bill Luxton (Chair), the Hon Glenn Ross, the Hon Jan Cheek, the Hon Sharon Halford and the Hon Gavin Short. Approximately 25 members of the public attended.
- 30: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING HELD ON FRIDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2011 (Part 1) - Falklands (Legal) - 04.03.2011
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place at 0930hrs on Friday, 25 February 2011. Present were Councillors Sawle, (DS), Cheek, (JC), Short, (GS), Ross, (GR), Halford, (SH) and Luxton. Absent were Councillors Edwards, E (EE) and Edwards, R (RE). Also present were the Speaker, the Hon Mr Keith Biles, (KB), the Clerk of Council, Ms Claudette Prior MBE, (CP), the Attorney General, Mr David Pickup, QC, (DP) the acting Financial Secretary, Mr Simon Wilkie, (SW) and the Chief Executive, Mr Tim Thorogood, (TT). Prayers were said by the Reverend Richard Hines of Christ Church Cathedral.
- 31: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING HELD ON FRIDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2011 (Part 1a) - Falklands (Legal) - 04.03.2011
- Also under Clause 4 there is an update to the constitutional reference. Clause 4 would update the definition of ‘Falkland Islander’
- 32: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY FRIDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2011 Part 2 - Falklands (Legal) - 04.03.2011
- Motion for Adjournment Speeches:
- 33: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING FRIDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2011 a - Falklands (Legal) - 04.03.2011
- Part 2: Motion for Adjournment Speeches: The Hon Mr Bill Luxton:
- 34: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING FRIDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2011 b - Falklands (Legal) - 04.03.2011
- Part 2: Motion for Adjournment Speeches: The Hon Mrs Jan Cheek:
- 35: Legislative Assembly Friday, 25 February 2011c - Falklands (Legal) - 04.03.2011
- Part 2: Motion for Adjournment Speeches: The Hon Chief Executive Mr Tim Thorogood:
- 36: Legislative Assembly Friday, 25 February 2011d - Falklands (Legal) - 04.03.2011
- Part 2: Motion for Adjournment Speeches: The Attorney General Mr David Pickup, QC:
- 37: Foot & Mouth Disease in South Africa - St Helena (Agriculture) - 04.03.2011
- On the 25th February the Department of Agriculture in South Africa submitted a notification to the World Organisation for Animal Health, the OIE, of a foot and mouth outbreak in Kwazulu Natal. The initial outbreak was first noted on the 1st of February and to date there have been 12 outbreaks within a closely confined area affecting 250 out of 500 cattle.
- 38: SHG and Divestment – A Larger Private Sector and a Smaller SHG - St Helena (Business News) - 01.03.2011
- To help grow the private sector and make Government smaller, a new Divestment Strategy has been agreed for SHG. This follows on from previous outsourcing work that started in 2007 and takes account of lessons learnt from that exercise.
- 39: AIRPORT PROJECT UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 01.03.2011
- Now that the pause status has been lifted for the airport project, and a new Invitation to Tender has been issued, we are once again able to go out to the market to seek to engage the services of a suitably qualified Project Management Unit (PMU).