|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | May 2011|
Articles published in May 2011Select individual articles below or view all 47 articles on one page.
47 articles published
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (25)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
|Jan (23)||Feb (25)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (51)||May (47)||Jun (46)|
|Jul (53)||Aug (48)||Sep (47)|
|Oct (51)||Nov (27)||Dec (32)|
- 1: ACTIVITIES FOR 29th ANNIVERSARY OF LIBERATION DAY ANNOUNCED - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.05.2011
- Activities to mark the 29th anniversary of the liberation of the Falkland Islands from Argentine occupation in 1982, have been arranged for Tuesday14 June 2011.
- 2: EVANS’ WARRAH MAKES MUSEUM HISTORY - Falklands (Heritage) - 29.05.2011
- Remarkable though it may be, the Evans Warrah has just become even more significant with radiocarbon dating indicating that one of the bones is approximately 1,000 years old –
- 3: Friday 27th May 2011- A bad one for Rats - Tristan (Agriculture) - 29.05.2011
- Ratting Day this year was held on Friday 27th May.
- 4: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 5: FALKLANDS’ GIRL GUIDES BAZAAR REPORT - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- The Falkland Islands Guide Association would like to thank all who supported the Association’s Annual Bazaar held on Saturday 28 May.
- 6: Falklands Legislative Assembly Motion of Thanks Speeches - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 27.05.2011
- As we have heard, we cannot escape some of the financial ills of most of the world but activities like the improved Illex season and continuing oil exploration are assisting us in balancing the budget. Nevertheless rising costs are a challenge at every level.
- 7: St Helena Legislative Council St Helena Island, 27 May 2011 To the people of St Helena - St Helena (Business News) - 27.05.2011
- Following the public demonstration held on Saturday 16 April 2011, the Council met with the organisers of the demonstration at an Informal meeting of Legislative Council on Friday 6 May 2011.
- 8: FINAL CALL FOR FALKLAND ISLANDS QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR NOMINATIONS - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.05.2011
- The purpose of such awards is to allow the Falkland Islands Government to recognise persons having connections with the Falkland Islands who have, by their loyalty and meritorious conduct, provided services of exceptional benefit to the people of the Falkland Islands.
- 9: Falklands' Governor Addresses Legislative Assembly - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 25.05.2011
- Mr Speaker, the past year has presented both domestic and international challenges to the Falkland Islands.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H E the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood
- 10: Falklands' General Purposes Committee Report for May 2011 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 25.05.2011
- GPC was held on Tuesday 24th May this month and was considerably shorter than normal, taking up the morning only, as this being budget week there is much to consider in relation to the budget and only matters of some urgency were raised.
- 11: Falklands Appropriation Proposals for 2011/2012 - Falklands (Business News) - 25.05.2011
- The purpose of this bill is to authorise the appropriation of monies from the Consolidated Fund for the next financial year. Before I set out the details, I would like to say a few words about the background in which this budget was prepared.
- 12: MIKE SUMMERS TO STAND FOR LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY SEAT - Falklands (Business News) - 25.05.2011
- Former Member of Legislative Assembly, Mr Mike Summers, has announced that he will be standing for the seat left vacant by Mr Glenn Ross.
- 13: Falklands Sea Cadets Receive £1,000 from Oil Ship - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.05.2011
- Stanley Sea and Marine Cadets have received a cheque for £1,000.00 from the crew of M/V Polarcus. Stephan Reese , Vessel Manager for the supply ship, Polarcus and Ken Newton
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 14: Summary of Executive Council Meeting Held on 24 May 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 25.05.2011
- This budget week meeting was for urgent items only so much shorter than usual.
- 15: Summary of Executive Council Meeting Held on 24 May 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 24.05.2011
- The Honourable Dick Sawle stood in for the Honourable Gavin Short for items in which the latter had declared an interest
- 16: Beth John Falklands' May Queen 2011 - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.05.2011
- Beth John has been crowned May Queen 2011 at Stanley Town Hall on Friday, May 20.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 17: Falklands Explorer Presents Environmental Impact Assessment - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 20.05.2011
- Argos Resources Ltd has presented its Environmental Impact Assessment to an audience of approximately 35 people at the Falkland Islands Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday, 18 May 2011. They assessed prospects in PL001 situated in the North Falkland Basin. Argos is the sole licensee of PL001 holding 100% equity.
- 18: PUBLIC ACCOUNTS COMMITTEE ENQUIRY ON THE STANLEY DAIRY - Falklands (Business News) - 20.05.2011
- An enquiry into the Stanley Dairy Ltd was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall by the Public Accounts Committee at 1600Hrs on Thursday, 19 May 2011. Mr Stuart Wallace chaired the enquiry with The Hon Miss Emma Edwards, MLA, Mr Andy Brownlee and Mrs Claire Cockwell in attendance.
- 19: Falklands Ask What Financial Resources? - Falklands (Environment) - 18.05.2011
- Whoever wrote the article for UPI entitled “Falklands mines a running drain of funds” obviously has not attended any public meetings or GPC briefs where the up and coming demining/ assessment ...
- 20: UNFAIR DISMISSAL SUIT UPHELD IN STANLEY COURT - Falklands (Legal) - 18.05.2011
- A Report for FIRS by Samantha Addison
- 21: ST HELENA EXCO MEETING, 10 MAY 2011 - St Helena (Legal) - 16.05.2011
- Our previous EXCO meeting was three weeks’ ago, but in spite of that we had a small agenda in front of us. All Elected Members were present and Gilly Francis stood in as Acting Chief Secretary whilst Frank Wastell acted as Attorney General. We began by confirming the minutes of two meetings – 5th and 19th April.
- 22: SENSATIONAL REPORTING ABOUT TRISTAN - YOU CAN ALWAYS SAY SORRY - Tristan (Health) - 16.05.2011
- An exchange of letters below begun by Gillian Francis, St Helena’s Acting Chief Secretary, prompted me to agree with her
- 23: NEW RECORD FOR NATWEST ISLAND GAMES - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.05.2011
- Almost 3.500 participants will take part in the Games and this does not include the hundreds of volunteers from Isle of Wight that are needed to run the competition.
- 24: Memorial remembers Britons lost in Antarctica - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 14.05.2011
- Two memorials dedicated to Britons who lost their lives in the service of science in Antarctica are unveiled this week. Since 1948, a total of 29 people have died in British Antarctic Territory, one of the most extreme, inhospitable and uncharted places on Earth.
- 25: FOXTROT 4 CREW REMEMBERED BY HMS FEARLESS VETERANS - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.05.2011
- A visit by veterans of HMS Fearless was highlighted by the dedication of a memorial moved from Lively Island on Tuesday, 10 May 2011.
- 26: FISHING VESSEL HARASSED BY UNKNOWN ARGENTINES - Falklands (Fisheries) - 14.05.2011
- A Report for FIRS by Samantha Addison 11/05/11
- 27: A BRIEF NOTE ABOUT COLIN AND IRINE MACDONNALD - Falklands (Legal) - 14.05.2011
- FINN will publish official information about this up and coming Supreme Court case.
- 28: West Falkland Public Meeting Planned - Falklands (Business News) - 14.05.2011
- Mr Roger Edwards, MLA and Mr Bill Luxton, MLA have announced an informal public meeting with West Falkland Residents.
- 29: FALKLANDS’ BY-ELECTION ANNOUNCED - Falklands (Legal) - 14.05.2011
- His Honour the Acting Governor Richard Nye has signed a Proclamation notifying a by-election in the Stanley Constituency for the election of one member of the Legislative Assembly
- 30: St Helena Discussions take place on Education - St Helena (Education) - 14.05.2011
- Last year, the Department for International Development injected additional money into the Education Service.
- 31: DFID to Visit St Helena - St Helena (Business News) - 14.05.2011
- On Island discussions will shortly take place between the St Helena Government and the Department For International Development on future funding for the Island. Existing funding has been approved until the end of July,
- 32: The Directors – Part IV Darren Duncan, Director of Agriculture and Natural Resources - St Helena (Business News) - 14.05.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April.
- 33: St Helena’s Provisional Register of Electors published! - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 14.05.2011
- The provisional Register of Electors has been published and the public are reminded that they now have 11 days to make applications for the register to be amended.
- 34: EXPENSES FOR SPEAKER, DEPUTY SPEAKER AND COUNCILLORS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 14.05.2011
- Last week the Secretariat published a summary of individual expenses that were incurred by the Honourable Speaker, Deputy Speaker and Members of the Legislative Council for the seventeen month period 4 November 2009 to 31 March 2011.
- 35: St Helena’s Provisional Register of Electors with Assistant Registration Officers - St Helena (Legal) - 14.05.2011
- The St Helena Government has published the Provisional Register of Electors and copies are now with the Assistant Registration Officers.
- 36: Deputy Director of the Overseas Territories Directorate Visits Falklands - Falklands (Business News) - 10.05.2011
- With responsibilities for Overseas Territories in the Southern Hemisphere, Mr Longden paid a familiarisation visit to the Falklands, just six weeks after taking up his post.
- 37: FALKLANDS’ EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORT FOR APRIL 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 07.05.2011
- By the Hon Mr Roger Edwards, MLA
- 38: SOUTH AFRICAN NAVY RESCUE INJURED CREWMEN FROM TRISTAN - Tristan (Fisheries) - 07.05.2011
- Thanks to the sterling efforts of the South African Navy, injured crewmen off the Chinese fishing vessel, Lai Ching, have been transported to Cape Town for further medical treatment and repatriation. The SAS Isandlwana, which left Simonstown at 2100 on Tuesday night arrived off Tristan at first light on Saturday 7 May.
Photos (c) Tristan Government
- 39: HMS FEARLESS VETERANS RETURN TO THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.05.2011
- Falklands War Veterans from HMS Fearless will be visiting FI next week on pilgrimage and to share memories of their participation in the 1982 Conflict with Argentina.
- 40: PUBLIC MEETING TUESDAY, 26 APRIL 2011 Part 3 - Falklands (Business News) - 06.05.2011
- A public meeting took place in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 1700hrs on Tuesday, 26 April 2011. Present were Assembly Members Emma Edwards (Chair), Roger Edwards, Bill Luxton, Jan Cheek and Dick Sawle.
- 41: OUTSIDE FACTORS CAUSE LOCAL HEATING FUEL RISES - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 06.05.2011
- A recent rise in heating fuel costs, just before the winter season, has caused concern in the local community. On Monday morning people became aware of the following:
- 42: GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE BRIEF (05/02/11) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 06.05.2011
- A meeting of Executive Council took place on Wednesday, 27 April 2011. On Monday, 02 May 2011 the Hon Miss Emma Edwards briefed the Media on what happened.
- 43: Royal Wedding Report - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.05.2011
- The Hon Mrs Sharon Halford writes that London appears strange to me at the moment. Sitting in traffic in a taxi on our arrival the driver informed us that London was quiet/dead - didn't seem like that to me as the clock was happily adding up the pennies.
- 44: MPC EXPLOSIVES TEAM DEALS WITH FIRST CALL-OUT - Falklands (Environment) - 06.05.2011
- On 26th April the JSEOD team were informed by Royal Falkland Islands Police that a large quantity of small arms ammunition had been found on Mt Tumbledown.
- 45: St Helenians asked to Register as an Elector and make your vote count! - St Helena (Business News) - 06.05.2011
- The Provisional Registers of Electors for the East and West Constituencies will be published on Friday 6th May 2011.
- 46: St Helena The Directors – Part III Sharon Wainwright - St Helena (Business News) - 06.05.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates. In a ten part series the Public Relations/Information Office will introduce each of the ten Directors their responsibilities and directorate plans for the next year.
- 47: St Helena DRAFT PLANNING POLICIES - St Helena (Business News) - 06.05.2011
- The Board would like the views of the public on the draft policies before they are formally adopted. The purpose of the policies is to give clarity and consistency in planning decisions and to give guidance to anyone proposing development.