|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | June 2011|
Articles published in June 2011Select individual articles below or view all 46 articles on one page.
46 articles published
|Jan (40)||Feb (26)||Mar (0)|
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (27)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: FIRS THROWS THE SPOTLIGHT ON TIM THOROGOOD AND DAVID WAUGH - Falklands (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- A review of the Falkland Islands Development Corporation has been taking place in recent months. On todayís programme I will be talking about the review with FIG Chief Executive, Tim Thorogood (TT) and FIDC General Manager, David Waugh (DW). To begin with, on todayís programme, Tim Thorogood said his work on the review has taken some tome to complete.
- 2: PUBLIC ACCOUNTS COMMITTEE REPORT 16/06/11 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- A meeting of the Public Accounts Committee took place in the court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 0915hrs on Thursday, 16 June 2011.
- 3: FR PETER CELEBRATES 10 YEARS AS A PRIEST - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.06.2011
- Fr. Peter Norris has celebrated 10 years as a Priest at St Maryís Rectory on Monday, 20 June 2011. Approximately 25 well-wishers attended a reception to mark the occasion.
- 4: FIRS GOES ONE TO ONE WITH DICK SAWLE 06/27/11 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- Councillor Dick Sawle (DS)was part of the Falklands delegation that attended and spoke at the C-24 Decolonisation Committee in New York and today I will be finding out how he thought it went. Councillor Sawle speaking to me on Friday felt that the Falklands delegation were able to put across their key message as well.
- 5: Understanding Human Rights - Falklands (Legal) - 30.06.2011
- By the Rev Dr Richard Hines: During the period 19th to 25th July an important opportunity exists for anyone interested to learn more about and participate in some introductory training in basic Human Rights. The project is an initiative sponsored by the UKís Commonwealth Human Rights Institute and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and being made available to all the UK Overseas Territories. It follows on from a previous round of human rights training which took place in March 2010.
- 6: FIRS THROWS THE SPOTLIGHT ON STUART WALLACE 06/29/11 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- Today I spoke to Stuart Wallace (SW) of Fortuna. We discussed the newly established Dutch Sales subsidiary of the Falklandsí fishing company. Fortuna Sea Foods (BV) made an impact at the European Seafood Exposition in Brussels this year. I started by asking Stuart about the 3-month prospecting trip across Eastern Europe that preceded the exposition.
- 7: FALKLANDS PUBLIC MEETING REPORT 28/06/11 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- A public meeting took place at 1700hrs on Tuesday, 28 June 2011 in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall.
- 8: St Helena Announcement from the Customs Duty Working Group - St Helena (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- Following the tax reform package implemented in April, a Customs Duty Working Group has been looking at how to reduce the costs of duty changes on essential items for low income households.
- 9: St Helena Students ďgo the distanceĒ at Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- Over the last academic year, no less than 18 courses have been running through some form of distance learning and self study at Prince Andrew School. These have involved 11 students plus 3 teachers covering 18 different subjects ranging from AS and A Levels to Diplomas in career orientated subjects.
- 10: St Helena Clinical Nurse Manager for Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Health) - 30.06.2011
- A Clinical Nurse- Manager has recently been appointed to work to work within the Health and Social Welfare Directorate
- 11: St Helena Governor Gurrís 100 Ascent of Jacobís ladder - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.06.2011
- For the 100th time Governor Gurr has defeated Jacobís ladder; this hundredth ascent all in the name of charity.
- 12: Falklands Summary of Executive Council Meeting Held on 30 June 2011 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.06.2011
- We started with a look at the task status report, which basically is a tracking mechanism for proposed legislation and also work that needs to be done or is in hand that will conclude with a report to Executive Council and possible legislation depending on their nature.
- 13: Mike Summers Returned to Assembly in Falklands By-election - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 24.06.2011
- Michael Victor Summers has been returned to the Falklands Legislative Assembly in the 23 June 2011 by-election. He won with a comfortable 259 votes.
- 14: New Post for Cumbria Floods Hero - Falklands (Business News) - 22.06.2011
- As a man who has served on multiple deployments in his 28 years in the British Army, Brigadier ďBillĒ Aldridge was very well prepared to take over as Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands on 21st June 2011, shortly after the 29th Anniversary of their liberation.
- 15: Falklands Legislator Asks UN to Stand By Self Determination Principle - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.06.2011
- Chapter 1 Article 1.2 enshrines the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples.
- 16: Falklands Vibrant Despite Argentine Sanctions - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.06.2011
- all of that has now changed with Argentina pulling out of these agreements unilaterally. Presidential Decree 256 illegally demands that vessels transiting to the Falkland Islands through Argentine waters must gain signed permission from Argentina.
- 17: Regional Hydronews110620 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 20.06.2011
- The Falkland Islands Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum needs a person with the right stuff to chair it, to lead and oversee the administration of meetings, including setting agenda topics, agreeing items for discussion and finalising minutes.
- 18: The Tristan Song Project - Tristan (Education) - 18.06.2011
- A collaborative song-writing project has started to bring rewards to the children of Tristan da Cunha.
- 19: ISLAND GAMES TEAM TO DEPART FOR ISLE OF WIGHT - Falklands (Education) - 17.06.2011
- ďItís a really great occasion having so many people heading off to the Island Games Ė a team of 30 plus with officials as well. I think itís outstanding that we have managed to put teams together in five separate sporting activities....
- 20: Andy Brownlee Awarded MBE in Queenís Birthday Honours List - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.06.2011
- Capt Andrew Samuel Brownlee, JP, Director, Lifestyles Ltd. for services to the community in the Falkland Islands has been listed on it.
- 21: HE MAY HAVE STOLEN CHRISTMAS BUT NOT FALKLANDSí LIBERATION DAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2011
- Nothing that UK and US press reports could throw at the Falklands could dampen Islandersí spirits today Ė Tuesday, 14 June 2011.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 22: ELECTION MANIFESTO OF STEVE VINCENT - Falklands (Business News) - 11.06.2011
- First, a little background history for those of you who may not know me; I first visited the Islands in 1981 whilst working for BAS.
- 23: ELECTION MANIFESTO OF MIKE SUMMERS - Falklands (Business News) - 11.06.2011
- The substance of my manifesto for this by-election does not differ substantially from those of the four previous elections I have contested.
- 24: ELECTION MANIFESTO OF IAN HANSEN - Falklands (Business News) - 11.06.2011
- ďI would like to offer myself as a candidate for this by-election. I deeply care about the Falklands and the future of its people. I was born here, educated here and have spent all of my life living and working in these Islands.
- 25: The Election Manifesto of Norman Beasley-Clark - Falklands (Business News) - 11.06.2011
- ďI would just like to mention at the beginning of my manifesto that the beliefs I shared with you at the last general election remain the same and I stand by them.
- 26: JOHN BIRMINGHAMíS MANIFESTO SPEECH - Falklands (Business News) - 11.06.2011
- I am married to Louise; I have 2 children and one grandchild. I first came to the Falkland Islands in 1974 to work in the Camp but have lived in Stanley for the last 22 years.
- 27: US/Falklands Policy: Situation Normal - Falklands (Business News) - 11.06.2011
- Judson Bergerís article for FOX News entitled ďObama Administration Backs Argentina over U.K. on Falkland Dispute,Ē published on 10 June 2011 didnít move too many Falkland Islanders to anger when it was published.
- 28: REGIONAL HYDRONEWS 110610 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 10.06.2011
- This is an experimental compilation meant as a market test. If enough people hit on this there will be a regular series of REGIONAL HYDRONEWS on this website.
- 29: The Hon Miss Emma Edwardsí Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 08.06.2011
- I was saddened when Glenn Ross found he was unable to continue his MLA role due to the problems currently being encountered at the Power Station.
- 30: The Hon Mr Bill Luxtonís Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 08.06.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, the budget process is now complete for another year and I hope that the general public donít find it too onerous, considering whatís happening elsewhere in the world and the difficulties that other countries are having.
- 31: The Hon Mr Roger Edwardsí Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 08.06.2011
- Firstly, FIMCO; the abattoir required some not so considerable funding in order that it continued to comply with EU regulation, better animal welfare, better working conditions and a greater volume of freezer capacity.
- 32: The Hon Mr Gavin Shortís Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 08.06.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, Ladies and Gentlemen in rising to speak to the Motion for Adjournment I would like to mention a few items.
- 33: The Hon Mrs Sharon Halfordís Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 08.06.2011
- The ever increasing fuel prices are pushing the costs of many things up, including travel, heating and electricity.
- 34: The Hon Mr Dick Sawleís Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 08.06.2011
- In general I think it contains no great surprises but I have had a few comments made to me though, which I feel are appropriate to pass on as they are of value.
- 35: The Hon Mrs Jan Cheekís Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 08.06.2011
- I would like to associate myself with the remarks by the Honourable Sharon Halford about the work of Roger Diggle over the years and join in her good wishes to them for the future.
- 36: Legislative Assembly 25 May 2011: Papers, Amendments and Questions for Oral Answer - Falklands (Legal) - 05.06.2011
- After the Motion for Thanks speeches were completed H E the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood left the chamber. Mr Keith Biles then presented two new Members with their Legislative Assembly ties.
- 37: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING IN THE COURT AND LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY CHAMBER, TOWN HALL, FRIDAY 27TH MAY 2011 AT 1415 HRS - Falklands (Legal) - 05.06.2011
- Previously attached was the Report of the Select committee on the Appropriation Bill and the Finance Bill. Debate on this part of the meeting will be printed in this section of the transcript.
- 38: Roger Edwards Defends Self Funded Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.06.2011
- We are entirely self funded and self governing with the exception of Foreign Affairs and defence Ė a defence only necessary because of the continual aggression shown by our closest neighbour.
- 39: ALL SET FOR THE MIDWINTER SWIM 2011 - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.06.2011
- Falklandsí cold-water enthusiasts are preparing themselves for the Annual Midwinter swim that will be held this year at SURF BAY on the 18th June this year.
- 40: GOUGH ISLAND RESEARCHERS PRESENT FINDINGS AT CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - Tristan (Environment) - 03.06.2011
- Graham Parker and Kalinka Rexer-Huber at the Chamber of Commerce Function Room on Thursday night.
Photo © J. Brock (Tristan Times)
- 41: ASSEMBLY MEMBERS ABROAD TO FIGHT FALKLANDSí CAUSE - Falklands (Business News) - 03.06.2011
- Falklandsí Members of Legislative Assembly are currently abroad to take the case for self-determination to the United Nations Committee of 24 in St Vincent and in New York.
- 42: Busy times for Visiting Optometrist! - St Helena (Business News) - 03.06.2011
- A familiar face to the Island, Optometrist, Priscilla Brown has spent several months on the island and is due to return next year.
- 43: The Directors Ė Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 44: South Georgia Commissioner Signs Ordinance to Safeguard the IslandĀfs Wildlife and Protected Areas - S.Georgia (Legal) - 01.06.2011
- His Honour the Civil Commissioner of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands signs an ordinance to safeguard the Islands' wildlife and protected areas as Darren Christie, Environment Officer on Invasive Species looks on.
Photo (c) J. Brock (sartma)
- 45: St Helena EXCO REPORT 70 Ė 31st May 2011 - Tristan (Legal) - 01.06.2011
- Our open agenda today had just one item Ė the Tobacco Control Bill. This Bill has been the subject of a great deal of consultation and discussion for many years and it has the purpose of protecting non-smokers from the dangers of passive inhalation whilst trying to assure smokers of a degree of freedom
- 46: Tender Board to Publish Details on Successful Tenders - St Helena (Business News) - 01.06.2011
- St Helena Government is committed to improving transparency across its operations. As a further step, the Economy and Finance Committee has agreed that contracts awarded by the Tender Board will be publicised on a quarterly basis.