|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | August 2011|
Articles published in August 2011Select individual articles below or view all 48 articles on one page.
48 articles published
|Jan (40)||Feb (54)||Mar (57)|
|Apr (39)||May (38)||Jun (53)|
|Jul (48)||Aug (52)||Sep (50)|
|Oct (15)||Nov (1)|
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (27)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: Summary of Executive Council Meeting Held on 25 August 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 31.08.2011
- This month’s agenda was relatively short with a number of the papers just requiring formal approval by Executive Council.
- 2: St Helena: Tree Work Scheduled for the Castle - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2011
- Works are planned to trim back the bourgainvillea tree adjacent to the main entrance to the Castle.
- 3: St Helena PUBLIC SAFETY – NAVIGATIONAL LIGHTS - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2011
- The Directorate of Access & Shipping would like to inform the public that the navigational light at Butter Milk Point
- 4: St Helena: EXCO REPORT 81 – 30th August 2011 - Tristan (Legal) - 31.08.2011
- This EXCO was not one of our longer meetings as most of the issues were routine.
However under Matters Arising from the minutes of the last two meetings some useful issues touched on were:
- 5: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Miss Emma Edwards MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 30.08.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I love spring and it really is an absolutely beautiful spring when morning with its smells in the air.
- 6: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 30.08.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion I would like to make a couple of points if I may, please?
- 7: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Roger Edwards MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 30.08.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to go back a few weeks to Farmers’ Week here in Stanley.
- 8: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Mike Summers MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 30.08.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I have a few things to touch on briefly. I was not really part of putting together the Referendum Bill and I have not spoken about it publically in the past. I am pleased to see it here.
- 9: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 30.08.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, it seems to be that time of year again where madness takes over and common sense goes out the window.
- 10: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING ON FRIDAY, 26 AUGUST 2011 (Part 2) - Falklands (Legal) - 29.08.2011
- Motions 6 and 7 and Legislation
- 11: The Hon Dick Sawle's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Legal) - 29.08.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment today I firstly – as I missed the last Assembly meeting – I would like to welcome the Honourable Mike Summers to this Assembly and I look forward to working closely with you and all my colleagues on many issues and making good progress.
- 12: General Services Committee Meeting Report (26/08/11) - Falklands (Business News) - 29.08.2011
- Members met on Wednesday 24th August for the usual General Purposes Committee meeting prior to Executive Council meeting the following day.
- 13: St Helena Appoints Acting Governor - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 29.08.2011
- Governor Gurr today announced that the Attorney General, Ken Baddon, will be Acting Governor during the coming interregnum following his departure on 23rd September and prior to the arrival of Mark Capes on 29th October
- 14: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 29.08.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I will be brief. I would like firstly to associate myself with the remarks made by the Honourable Dick Sawle regarding the Military and our defence of the Islands in its broadest sense
- 15: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING ON FRIDAY, 26 AUGUST 2011 (Part 1-a) - Falklands (Legal) - 28.08.2011
- (Part 1-A: Information for Motion 5)
- 16: TRIBUTES TO SHARON WAINWRIGHT - St Helena (Heritage) - 28.08.2011
- Sharon’s last email to me on 11th August began with the words “No problem...”. How typical that was of her approach to her job.
- 17: St Helena Special meeting of Legislative Council - St Helena (Legal) - 28.08.2011
- A formal meeting of Legislative Council will take place on Friday 2nd September at 10am, at the Court House in Jamestown, and will be broadcast live via Radio St Helena.
- 18: St Helena Congratulates CPL J PETERS RLC - St Helena (Heritage) - 28.08.2011
- Cpl Peters is employed as an AAPTI responsible for delivering physical training, testing and the administration of up to 44 Soldiers (JS). He is also responsible for delivering Adventurous Training (AT) instruction during Personal & Team Development.
- 19: Presidents Address to the Chamber of Council Annual General Meeting 18th August 2011 - Falklands (Business News) - 27.08.2011
- We thank Keith Biles for continuing as our Company Secretary and Pam Budd who due to work commitments has decided to stand down for her work as Treasurer, all the Chamber Council who give a lot of their time for meetings and our representatives who sit on Government committees. I would also thank Naomi Summers and her sister Sandra.
- 20: FIRS PUTS THE SPOTLIGHT ON ROGER SPINK (08/22/11) - Falklands (Business News) - 27.08.2011
- On today’s programme Stacey Bragger talked to Roger Spink (RS), who last week was re-elected President of the Falkland Islands Chamber of Commerce.
- 21: Decline of Blue Whiting Stocks in the South West Atlantic - Falklands (Fisheries) - 27.08.2011
- Over the past few years stocks of Southern Blue Whiting have declined in the South West Atlantic. Most notably stocks have nose-dived since the Argentines pulled out of the South Atlantic Fisheries Commission (SAFC) in 2007, yet continued to catch in excess of the Total Allowable Catch Limit (TAC) recommended by the Commission. Mark Spruce asked John Barton (JB) about this.
- 22: FIRS GOES ONE TO ONE WITH THE HON MIKE SUMMERS MLA - Falklands (Business News) - 27.08.2011
- At the end of June Mike Summers was elected on to the Legislative Assembly. Today Stacey Bragger spoke to the Hon Mr Summers (MS) about how he finds returning to Legislative Assembly and discussed the portfolio responsibilities he has taken on. Stacey Bragger first asked Mr Summers MLA how he would describe the last few weeks.
- 23: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING ON FRIDAY, 26 AUGUST 2011 (Part 1) - Falklands (Legal) - 27.08.2011
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place at 0930hrs on Friday, 26 August 2011.
- 24: FITV INTERVIEW WITH THE HON MR DICK SAWLE, MLA (Part 1) - Falklands (Business News) - 19.08.2011
- By Mark Spruce (FITV) first aired on Friday, 12 August 2011
- 25: FITV INTERVIEW WITH THE HON MR DICK SAWLE MLA (PART 2) - Falklands (Business News) - 19.08.2011
- A Report for FITV by Mark Spruce as aired on Friday, 12 August 2011
- 26: SHARON WAYNWRIGHT: A SAD LOSS FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Heritage) - 19.08.2011
- It was with the deep and sincere regret that people in the Falklands heard of the sudden death in London of Sharon Wainwright.
- 27: FALKLAND ISLANDS ARE “GO” FOR CONTAINERISED SHIPPING - Falklands (Business News) - 19.08.2011
- The Falkland Islands Government agreed on Wednesday with heads of Consolidated Fisheries Ltd to enable South American Atlantic Service Ltd (SAAS) to resume its international freight services in the near future.
- 28: RURAL DEVELOPMENT AWARD SCHEME ANNOUNCED - Falklands (Agriculture) - 19.08.2011
- Government House announced on Thursday the approval of three small programme fund awards to help with Rural Development in the Islands.
- 29: Desire Speculation Note Sheer Nonsense - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 17.08.2011
- Often during the day companies post news on the London Stock Exchange RNS service. Desire’s press release has been posted not only on its section but also by Rockhopper Exploration’s RNS news.
- 30: QUALIFICATION CERTIFICATES PRESENTED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Education) - 13.08.2011
- Professional qualification certificates were handed out at a Government House reception on Monday evening.
- 31: Rockhopper announces encouraging 14/10-6 Appraisal well update - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 13.08.2011
- Rockhopper Exploration, has provided an update on the 14/10-6 appraisal well -the third appraisal well on the Sea Lion feature.
- 32: FALKLAND ISLANDS QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR - Falklands (Business News) - 13.08.2011
- The 2011 awards of the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour recipients have been named by His Excellency the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood, acting on the advice of Executive Council.
- 33: Frank Wild is to be buried next to Shackleton in the Grytviken cemetery - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 13.08.2011
- Frank Wild was one of the most experienced polar explorers of the heroic era.
- 34: Raising the flag to celebrate the return of the sun - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 13.08.2011
- Staff at British Antarctic Survey’s Rothera Research Station recently raised the Union flag to mark the first sighting of the sun again after several weeks of continual darkness.
- 35: Report Concludes The Whaling Stations Are Dangerous - S.Georgia (Health) - 13.08.2011
- After a major clean-up operation costing millions, Grytviken is the only former whaling station accessible to visitors to South Georgia.
- 36: ST HELENA EXCO REPORT 77 – 9th August 2011 - Tristan (Legal) - 13.08.2011
- This session of Executive Council turned out to be a long one as we had two very important matters on our agenda – a video conference with the UK concerning the airport, and a discussion regarding untargeted subsidies.
- 37: St Helena Visiting Gynaecologist for Health & Social Welfare Directorate - St Helena (Health) - 13.08.2011
- Currently working in the Health & Social Welfare Directorate is Dr Mary Packer. She will be on Island until 12 August 2011 as a visiting Gynaecologist.
- 38: St Helena Medical Officer for Health & Social Welfare Directorate - St Helena (Health) - 13.08.2011
- Dr Solomon Lebese has recently been appointed as Medical Officer - Anaesthetics to work within the Health & Social Welfare Directorate on a two year contract
- 39: ST HELENA TOURISM AGAIN WELCOMES JANET SHANKLAND - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 13.08.2011
- St Helena Tourism will again be welcoming to the island its Sales and Marketing Executive, Janet Shankland, when the RMS arrives this week. Janet is visiting the island to bring herself fully up to date with progress and developments, and to meet key stakeholders.
- 40: St Helena SITING OF CONTAINERS, SITING OF POLYTUNNELS AND THE COLOUR OF ROOFING MATERIALS - St Helena (Business News) - 13.08.2011
- Following public consultation in May, the Land Planning and Development Control Board have now implemented the three new planning policies on:
- 41: FIRS Goes One to One With Justin McPhee (03/08/11) - Falklands (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- On the programme today I will be speaking to Chief Executive Officer of Cable & Wireless South Atlantic Ltd., Justin McPhee (JMP).
- 42: Summary of Executive Council Meeting Held on 28 July 2011 - Falklands (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- MLAs in attendance at this meeting were the Hon Sharon Halford, the Hon Gavin Short and the Hon Roger Edwards who was standing in for the Hon Jan Cheek who is currently overseas.
- 43: PUBLIC MEETING REPORT TUESDAY, 26 JULY 2011 (Part 3: Shipping Links and Make-up of Executive Council) - Falklands (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- Rob McGill (RMG): A question – the shipping link well, the situation rather than a link – what news? It is having a great effect on many things.
- 44: Question Number 02/2011 by the Honourable Roger Edwards - Falklands (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- In view of a recent article in the Penguin News and increasing comment from members of the public, please could the Chief Executive give a complete and detailed breakdown of costs of the Container Park built recently close to FIPASS.
- 45: St Helena Police Officer Recruitment 2nd August 2011 - St Helena (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- The Police Directorate were invited to the Public Accounts Committee last week to present our ideas on recruitment and retention in the police service and how that fits in with Saints or overseas officers in St Helena.
- 46: St Helena Financial Services Supervisor Appointed - St Helena (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- Christopher Duncan is to be appointed as the new Financial Services Supervisor for St Helena with effect from 1st January 2012 when he will succeed Paddy Perry.
- 47: St Helena Where are we with Strategic Planning? - St Helena (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- The St Helena Government is now into its third year of strategic planning, a process that replaces the previous exercise of completing departmental business plans.
- 48: St Helena: The Directors – Part X - Lilla Oliver - St Helena (Business News) - 07.08.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.