|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | September 2011|
Articles published in September 2011Select individual articles below or view all 47 articles on one page.
47 articles published
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (1)||Dec (0)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
- 1: PUBLIC MEETING MONDAY, 26 SEPTEMBER 2011 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.09.2011
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 1700hrs on Monday, 26 September 2011
- 2: New FCO Website for Falklands - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.09.2011
- Government House in the Falklands has a new website designed to coincide with the launch of the FCO’s Overseas Territories Consultation “Have Your Say”.
- 3: LOTTERY MONEY FOR UK OVERSEAS TERRITORIES - All (Business News) - 30.09.2011
- The Hon Mr Henry Bellingham MP, the UK’s Minister for Overseas Territories (OSTs) visited Bermuda on Wednesday and held a press conference in which he said that he is seeking to pass on some of the benefits of Britain’s National Lottery to the Overseas Territories. Some of this money could reach the Falklands.
- 4: UK Minister Announces Refreshed Relationship with Overseas Territories - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.09.2011
- As I was flying in to Bermuda yesterday, I was reminded of a quote by Mark Twain, one of Bermuda's most famous visitors and one of the people credited with first bringing tourists to Bermuda. He said: "You can go to heaven. I'd rather stay in Bermuda."
- 5: South Georgia: 2014 Marine Species and Counting - S.Atlantic (Environment) - 30.09.2011
- The high biodiversity of South Georgia waters is proving a hot topic. There are several current projects working on this and new species are being identified from samples collected in recent years, with more work planned.
- 6: ST HELENA GOVERNOR’S FAREWELL - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.09.2011
- Being your Governor for the past four years has been not only an honour, but it has also been a pleasure. That pleasure comes from a genuine belief in the people and the future of St.Helena and the fact that I have had the privilege of working with so many of you, in both sectors, who share that belief.
- 7: St Helena Governor Gurr’s four years on St Helena - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 30.09.2011
- Governor Andrew Gurr left the island on Friday 23rd September on completion of his term of office. During the four years he has been on the Island, having arrived on 11th November 2007, the Island has faced many changes which were predicted by the Governor when he said in his inaugural speech:
- 8: St Helena Ex-Co Report - 27 Sept 11 - Tristan (Legal) - 30.09.2011
- Welcome to my first ExCo Report – which deals with a short but productive meeting. The five elected members were all present,
- 9: BRITAIN REPLIES TO ARGENTINE THREATS OVER THE FALKLAND ISLANDS - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 23.09.2011
- A day after Argentine President, Christina Fernandez de Kirchner threatened Britain with thwarting the Lan Flight, the delegation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has issued a statement in exercise of the right of reply to the remarks made by the President of the Argentine Republic in the general debate on 21 September 2011.
- 10: Former Falklands’ Chief Medical Officer Accepts Shetland Post - Falklands (Health) - 23.09.2011
- Dr Roger Diggle, former Chief Medical Officer for the Falkland Islands has traded one end of the earth for another. NHS Shetland announced the appointment on Monday.
- 11: FIRS Shines the Spotlight on Mark Lewis - Falklands (Legal) - 23.09.2011
- FINN has published a message concerning the new Jury Amendment Bill. Stacey Bragger of FIRS has interviewed the Attorney General the Hon Mr Mark Lewis QC (ML), who explained what the changes to this Bill mean to you and me.
- 12: Chilean National Day Recognised at Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.09.2011
- A reception in honour of Chilean Independence Day was held at Government House at 1800hrs on Wednesday, 21 September 2011.
- 13: Important Speech to be Delivered During Minister's Vitit to Bermuda - All (Gen - Government) - 23.09.2011
- Government House has announced that Henry Bellingham MP, Minister for the Overseas Territories, is visiting Bermuda next week. This will be the Minister’s first visit to Bermuda.
- 14: Director of Emergency Services Visits MPC - Falklands (Education) - 23.09.2011
- Director of Emergency Services, Chief Superintendent Barry Marsden made the trip to MPC this week as a prelude to the exercising of the Major Incident Response Plan by the Falkland Islands Emergency Services later this month.
- 15: Own Goal for Argentina Over Flights - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.09.2011
- Jorge Argüello, Argentina’s permanent representative to the United Nations, has confirmed President Cristinea Fernandez de Kirchner’s threat to stop the once a week flight between the Falkland Islands and Argentina.
- 16: St Helena: SALVAGED ITEMS FROM SUNKEN YACHT “QUEEQUEG” - St Helena (Business News) - 23.09.2011
- Members of the public are reminded that persons who have removed and/or taken possession of any items that were recovered from the sunken yacht “QueeQueg
- 17: St Helena: A Bill for an Ordinance to regulate media services - St Helena (Legal) - 23.09.2011
- This Bill initially came out for public consultation between May and July 2010. The Home & International Committee were pleased with the level of interest but delayed any further work pending the outcome of the recent review of the islands Media Services. The revised Bill has been amended to take account of the feedback received during 2010.
- 18: St Helena: EXCO REPORT 83 – 20th September 2011 - Tristan (Legal) - 23.09.2011
- This is my 83rd EXCO report and I think that anyone who has heard all 83 probably deserves an award.
- 19: Foreign and Commonwealth Office Responds to the Petition - St Helena (Heritage) - 23.09.2011
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office Minister for the Overseas Territories, Henry Bellingham MP, has today sent letters
- 20: St Helena: MOU Update – Land Development Control Plan - St Helena (Business News) - 23.09.2011
- The draft revised Land Development Control Plan (LDCP) is now available for comment and public consultation. All areas of life on St Helena, from housing to heritage, will be influenced by land planning policies. This week we focus on INFRASTRUCTURE.
- 21: St Helena: MOU Assessment making progress - St Helena (Business News) - 23.09.2011
- Currently on the Island are Tom Kelly, Head of the DFID Overseas Territories Department and Eric Arnold, a Private Sector Development Consultant. Eddie Palmer, DFID Representative on St. Helena, is supporting the DFID team.
- 22: Tristan da Cunha – Fishing and Shipping News - Tristan (Fisheries) - 18.09.2011
- The MV Edinburgh departed Cape Town at the end of August on her first fishing trip of the lobster season.
Photo (c) James Glass (Tristan Times)
- 23: New Future for UK Overseas Territories - S.Atlantic (Legal) - 17.09.2011
- UK Overseas Territories in the South Atlantic include Ascension Island, St Helena, Tristan da Cunha, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, the Falkland Islands and British Antarctic Territory.
- 24: OUTSTANDING STANDARDS REWARDED AT FALKLANDS’ CRAFT FAIR - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.09.2011
- Outstanding qualities of craft were presented at the annual Falklands Craft Fair which was held over the weekend of 10 and 11 September 2011.
- 25: PRE-LAMB SHEARING – THE WELFARE IMPLICATIONS - Falklands (Agriculture) - 16.09.2011
- By Steve Pointing
(As published in the Wool Press for September 2011)
All sheep need to be shorn from time to time and in most countries and in most sheep breeds this occurs once a year.
- 26: FIDC CONSULTANT APPOINTED FOR THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Business News) - 16.09.2011
- FIDC have announced the appointment of a consultant who will undertake a master planning exercise for the Stanley waterfront area.
- 27: FIRS INTERVIEW WITH BGS CONSULTANT DR PHIL RICHARDS - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 16.09.2011
- Recently Dr Phil Richards (PR), the Falkland Islands’ Mineral Resources Consultant from British Geological Survey, paid a routine visit to the Falklands and attend a series of meetings with the Department of Mineral Resources, met with MLAs and the Chief Executive, sharing with them oil data interpretations.
- 28: MLAs HEAD NORTH FOR PARTY CONFERENCES - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 16.09.2011
- The Honourable Sharon Halford, MLA and Roger Edwards, MLA left the Falklands on Tuesday to attend the annual Party Conferences in the United Kingdom. They will be joined in the UK by the Falkland Islands Government (FIG) London Representative Sukey Cameron MBE.
- 29: Minerals Department Reacts to Rockhopper Discovery - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 16.09.2011
- From a report for FIRS by Stacey Bragger (SB) 14/09/11 On Wednesday FINN included Rockhopper Exploration’s announcement of an oil discovery as well as the news that they could be in production by 2016.
- 30: Falklands: Sawle Rebuts Edwards' Criticism - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 16.09.2011
- A Report for FIRS by Stacey Bragger (SB) 14/09/11 Councillor Dick Sawle has responded to the comments made yesterday (Tuesday) on Falklands Radio by Councillor Roger Edwards about the removal of Councillor Emma Edwards as holder of the tourism portfolio.
- 31: NEW WHITE PAPER FOR UK OVERSEAS TERRITORIES - All (Business News) - 16.09.2011
- The UK Foreign Secretary the Hon Mr William Hague recently spoke about the 2012 White Paper about Britain’s relationship with its overseas territories. According to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’ website Overseas Territories are British for as long as they wish to remain British.
- 32: St Helena EXCO REPORT 82 – 13th September 2011 - Tristan (Gen - Government) - 16.09.2011
- This was a full-blooded EXCO with good debate and a wide range of issues. The agenda revealed 14 items, which is well above average.
- 33: St Helena Marks Governor Gurr’s Departure - St Helena (Heritage) - 16.09.2011
- His Excellency, Governor Gurr will depart the Island on Friday 23rd September 2011 on completion of his term of office.
- 34: FINN TO HEAD NORTH IN NOVEMBER - Falklands (Business News) - 10.09.2011
- In November FINN will head north to attend the Annual Society of Editors’ Conference in the UK.
- 35: Meeting of the Ascension Island Council on Friday 2nd September 2011 - S.Atlantic (Legal) - 10.09.2011
- The Ascension Island Council met in formal session on Friday 2nd September at 2pm in the Council Chamber. Councillors Bendall, Cranfield and Lawrence were present. The Governor and Attorney General joined in by the customary telephone link. Councillors George and Thomas were not present.
- 36: Falklands' Demining Project Delayed - Falklands (Environment) - 09.09.2011
- Earlier this year during GPC Round-up it was announced that the de-miners would be back, this time to make safe Stanley Common and do clearance around the Stone Corral.
- 37: FIRS Goes One to One With The Hon Sharon Halford MLA (09/02/11) - Falklands (Business News) - 09.09.2011
- Members of the legislative Assembly met this week to discuss the road network and possible future improvements. A Report for FIRS by Stacey Bragger
- 38: £1.5 MILLION FOR FALKLANDS’ SHIPPING - Falklands (Business News) - 09.09.2011
- On August 17th, 2011 FIG agreed a greater than one year deal with Consolidated Fisheries Ltd to the tune of £1.5Million to enable South American Atlantic Service Ltd (SAAS) to resume its international freight services in the near future.
- 39: MISS EMMA EDWARDS MLA RELINQUISHES TOURISM PORTFOLIO - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 09.09.2011
- Six Members of the Legislative Assembly have discussed current difficulties within the FITB portfolio and the Falkland Islands Government has agreed a Tourism Development Strategy.
- 40: Local Falklands Man Achieves Top Agriculture Job - Falklands (Agriculture) - 09.09.2011
- Local man, Andrew Pollard, has been promoted to Senior Agricultural Advisor and will take up his duties in November when the present post holder, Mack MacArthur, completes his contract. As well as his advisor’s role, Mr Pollard will be Head of Service for the Agricultural Unit.
- 41: Darren Christie Appointed Falklands' Public Relations and Media Manager - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 09.09.2011
- Darren Christie has been appointed to the post of Public Relations and Media manager for the Falkland Islands Government.
- 42: THE HON MISS EMMA EDWARDS MLA RESPONDS TO COLLEAGUES’ ACTIONS - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 09.09.2011
- The Hon Miss Emma Edwards, MLA has responded to the withdrawal of the Tourism portfolio from her as a meeting held at Gilbert House on Friday the 2nd September 2011.
- 43: New Falklands' Magistrate Appointed - Falklands (Legal) - 09.09.2011
- Government House announced on Thursday, 08 September 2011 the appointment of Mr Carl Gumsley as Senior Magistrate for the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands and the British Antarctic Territory.
- 44: St Helena: MOU Update - Land Development Control Plan - St Helena (Business News) - 09.09.2011
- The draft revised Land Development Control Plan (LDCP) is now available for comment and public consultation. All areas of life on St Helena, from housing to heritage, will be influenced by land planning policies. This week we focus on AGRICULTURE & FORESTRY.
- 45: St Helena Development Project Facilitator achieves Accounting Level 3 Diploma - St Helena (Business News) - 09.09.2011
- In January of this year, Mrs Zoe George started studying Accounting Level 3 via distance learning with Stonebridge College.
- 46: St Helena - New Chief Secretary arrives next week - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.09.2011
- Arriving on Thursday 15th September will be the new Chief Secretary, Owen O’Sullivan accompanied by his wife and young family.
- 47: Councillor Thomas returns from CPA Conference - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.09.2011
- Having attended the 57th Annual Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference 2011 in London, Councillor Derek Thomas recently returned to the Island.