|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | October 2011|
Articles published in October 2011Select individual articles below or view all 51 articles on one page.
51 articles published
|Jan (40)||Feb (53)||Mar (51)|
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (27)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING THURSDAY, 27 OCTOBER 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 31.10.2011
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place at 0930hrs on Thursday, 27 October 2011 in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall.
- 2: Legislative Assembly Speech by The Hon Mr Dick Sawle - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 31.10.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable colleagues, there are always many topics that one could mention in speaking to the Motion for Adjournment and I would like to keep my topics short and focused today for which some colleagues of mine will be most grateful.
- 3: Legislative Assembly Speech by The Hon Mrs Sharon Halford - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 31.10.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to touch on the issue of the dissemination of information
- 4: Legislative Assembly Speech by The Hon Mr Mike Summers - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 31.10.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I will be relatively brief, I think, this morning. (I would) just talk about a couple areas of responsibility.
- 5: Legislative Assembly Speech by The Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 31.10.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would just like to say a few brief words on a couple of subjects.
- 6: Legislative Assembly Speech by The Hon Mrs Jan Cheek - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 31.10.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, first I would like to associate myself with the good wishes to Emma.
- 7: Legislative Assembly Speech by The Hon Mr Roger Edwards - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 31.10.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I will start by the single constituency. There was a phone-in last evening on FIRS at which my Colleague, Mike Summers, and I sat for an hour and answered many questions that came in from members of the public.
- 8: HMS CLYDE VISITS TRISTAN - Tristan (Shipping/Freight) - 31.10.2011
- On Friday the 28th October, the HMS Clyde called in at Tristan on her way to South Africa, from the Falklands. She arrived at 0830 and departed at 1800.
- 9: THE HON EMMA EDWARDS, MLA RESIGNS TO FACILITATE NEW LIFE IN UK - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2011
- Government House has announced that the Governor has accepted, with regret, the resignation of Emma Edwards from the Legislative Assembly.
- 10: PUBLIC MEETING MONDAY, 24 OCTOBER 2011 (Part 1) - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 29.10.2011
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 1700hrs on Monday, 24 October 2011. Present when the meeting started were the Hon Mr Dick Sawle, the Hon Mr Roger Edwards (Chair) the Hon Mr Gavin Short, the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford, the Hon Mr Mike Summers and the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek. For unspecified reasons, Mrs Halford left the meeting shortly after it began.
- 11: St Helena Celebrating 100 Years of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association - St Helena (Business News) - 29.10.2011
- A historic occasion was celebrated on Monday with the birth of St Helena’s first ever Youth Parliament.
- 12: St Helena Formal Legislative Council Meeting to take place on 7 November 2011 - St Helena (Business News) - 29.10.2011
- Councillors will discuss a range of issues at their next formal meeting. The first sitting of the 10th meeting of Legislative Council will take place on Monday 7th November at 10am in the Court House, Jamestown. The meeting is expected to last two days and will be broadcast live via Radio St Helena.
- 13: St Helena MOU Update – Land Development Control Plan - St Helena (Business News) - 29.10.2011
- In this week’s update on the Land Development Control Plan (LDCP) we would like to focus on some of the Frequently Asked Questions coming out of the consultation so far.
- 14: Acting Governor hosts dinner for the St Helena League of Friends - St Helena (Business News) - 29.10.2011
- In support of the St Helena League of Friends a formal dinner for 24 paying guests was held at Plantation House on Saturday 22nd October 2011.
- 15: St Helena’s New Governor arrives on Saturday - St Helena (Business News) - 29.10.2011
- Mark Capes, the new Governor for St Helena will arrive on Saturday 29th October, accompanied by his wife Tamara.
- 16: TEAM TRANQUIL VOLUNTEERS AID IN CEMETERY PROJECT - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- Team Tranquil have been busy raising money for a gazebo and benches in the Stanley Cemetery.
- 17: JOHN AND EILEEN SMITH CELEBRATE 50 YEARS TOGETHER - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- John and Eileen Smith will celebrate 50 years of marriage on Friday, 21 October 2011.
- 18: FIRS GO ONE TO ONE WITH JUSTIN McPHEE (18/10/11) - Falklands (Business News) - 22.10.2011
- Stacey Bragger spoke to Cable & Wireless’ South Atlantic Ltd Falklands CEO Mr Justin McPhee (JMP), who updated us on a number of projects the company are progressing including the free internet usage trial and upgrades to the mobile phone network.
- 19: FALKLANDS SEE BEN’S ART AT ITS BEST - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- Ever since I can remember, Ben Cockwell has been drawing and painting to a high standard for his age group.
- 20: FIRS GOES ONE TO THREE ABOUT CONFLICT RESOLUTION - Falklands (Business News) - 22.10.2011
- A new scheme to resolve disputes is to be introduced in the Falkland Islands. A recent announcement stated that the alternative scheme is more effective than taking disputes to court.
- 21: Statement Re. Ocean Guardian Drilling Rig - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 22.10.2011
- Rockhopper Exploration plc confirms that a loss of power occurred on the Ocean Guardian drilling rig on 16
- 22: QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR AWARDED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- At a reception held in Government House on the evening of Wednesday, 19 October 2011, Miss Vivienne Perkins and Mrs Jan Miller received the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour from H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood.
- 23: FIRS THROWS THE SPOTLIGHT ON JAMIE FOTHERINGHAM - Falklands (Business News) - 22.10.2011
- Stacey Bragger interviews the new Head of Policy, Jamie Fotheringham (JF), has been in the Falklands for two weeks and already he has his sights set on seeing what the Falklands are like and taking in the scenery and wildlife.
- 24: JOINT PRESS RELEASE BETWEEN ST HELENA POLICE DEPARTMENT, BANK OF ST HELENA AND ST HELENA DEVELOPMENT AGENCY - St Helena (Business News) - 22.10.2011
- If a stranger came up to you on the street and asked you to give them a large sum of money, would you? Probably not!
- 25: Stewardship of the Nation’s Heritage: considering National Protected Areas - St Helena (Business News) - 22.10.2011
- This week’s article regarding the Land Development Control Plan (LDCP) considers the network of National Protected Areas.
- 26: Tristan - ExCo Report - 18th October 2011 - Tristan (Business News) - 22.10.2011
- This is my third, and probably my final, ExCo report; and I am sorry for delivering it a day late. There was urgent work to be done which made it impossible for me to complete the report yesterday.
- 27: Here to be heard, represented, and supported! Prince Andrew School Student Council 2011 - St Helena (Education) - 22.10.2011
- “A bright light for the future of St Helena’s democracy” were the words of Acting Governor, Ken Baddon as he spoke of the 2011 Student Council at a specially hosted lunch at Plantation House on Wednesday.
- 28: RECORD NUMBER OF TICKETS SOLD IN FALKLANDS CONSERVATION’S RAFFLE - Falklands (Environment) - 16.10.2011
- A record number of 604 raffle tickets were sold in aid of Falklands Conservation and on Wednesday night they were drawn to the delight of many who purchased them.
- 29: Falklands - MAN’S BEST FRIENDS NEED BEDDING, TOO - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.10.2011
- When you snuggle under warm duvets during cold winter and spring months, give a thought to mans’ best friends at Mount Pleasant Complex.
- 30: MPS TO VISIT FALKLANDS - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.10.2011
- Four MPs accompanied by FIG's Representative in London will be visiting the Falklands next month.
- 31: MOTORCYCLE/CAR COLLISION SENDS ONE TO HOSPITAL - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.10.2011
- According to the Royal Falkland Islands Police a motorcycle/car collision took place at the corner of Philomel Hill and Fitzroy Road at lunchtime on Wednesday, 12 October 2011.
- 32: CHILEAN JOURNALISTS TO VISIT THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Business News) - 15.10.2011
- Rodrigo Cea, a Chilean Journalist from Santiago and representing Domingo en Viajes and Francisca Muñoz a journalist with an undergraduate degree in Social Communications (Universidad de Viña del Mar) and a Masters in Latin American Studies (Universidad de Chile) will be visiting the Falklands next week.
- 33: FALKLAND ISLANDS GOVERNMENT APPOINTS NEW HEAD OF POLICY - Falklands (Business News) - 15.10.2011
- FIG announced on Thursday that James Fotheringham has been appointed Head of Policy.
- 34: FIG APPOINTS SIMON FLETCHER DIRECTOR OF CENTRAL SERVICES - Falklands (Business News) - 15.10.2011
- Dr Tim Thorogood, FIG’s CEO, has announced the appointment of Mr Simon Fletcher to the role Director of Central Services. Mr Fletcher is the successor to Mr Andrew Lee, who previously held the position when it was titled, Director of Procurement and Efficiency.
- 35: SHG Consults with Staff on Pensions - St Helena (Business News) - 15.10.2011
- The St Helena Government is consulting with its staff on pension reform. This will continue until the end of October and SHG will also be looking at getting comments on the proposed changes from members of the public.
- 36: What affects you and your family about how land is used on the Island? - St Helena (Business News) - 15.10.2011
- The way land is used on St Helena affects everyone and with the draft Land Development Control Plan (LDCP) currently out for public consultation, it is important that as many views, from as many people as possible are voiced and heard.
- 37: The CPA celebrates 100 years - S.Atlantic (Gen - Government) - 15.10.2011
- To commemorate 100 years of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA), the St Helena Branch will be celebrating with a focus on the inaugural meeting of the St Helena Youth Parliament on Monday 24th October 2011.
- 38: St Helena Ex-Co Report - 11th October 11 - St Helena (Business News) - 15.10.2011
- We had another a short but useful meeting, completing the business in a little under an hour and a half.
- 39: St Helena MOU Update – Land Development Control Plan - St Helena (Business News) - 15.10.2011
- In this week’s update on the Land Development Control Plan (LDCP) we would like to focus on one of the frequently asked questions during the consultation. This relates to the boundaries of the three zones within the LDCP.
- 40: FAILING MARKS FOR EXPRESS ARTICLE ON FALKLANDS’ DEFENCE - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 09.10.2011
- Marco Giannangeli’s article entitled, “BRITAIN will use bases in South Africa to regain the Falkland Islands if they are ever captured,” published in the Sunday Express on line, Saturday, 08 October 2011 is an un-researched and ridiculous attempt to stir the pot yet again in the South Atlantic.
- 41: Tristan Remembers Volcano + 50 - Tristan (Heritage) - 08.10.2011
- The BBC reports that Fifty years ago a village in Hampshire forged an unlikely link with one of the most isolated communities on earth.
- 42: UN REPORT ON FALKLANDS’ DECOLONISATION - Falklands (Legal) - 08.10.2011
- Report of the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples for 2011 General Assembly Official Records Sixty-sixth Session Supplement No. 23
- 43: FALKLANDS EMERGENCY SERVICES “CAN DO” DURING ANNUAL EXERCISE - Falklands (Education) - 08.10.2011
- An annual exercise to hone skills of the emergency services of both the Military and the Civilian population were put to the test on Friday when a difficult scenario unfolded at 0845hrs on the day.
- 44: COOL LAUNCH FOR ARCHERY IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.10.2011
- The Falklands Archery Association was officially launched at the Narrows Bar on Saturday, 01 October 2011 by the first President, Mr Paul Ellis and the Association’s patron, H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood.
- 45: Falklands PUBLIC MEETING 26 SEPTEMBER 2011 (Final Part) - Falklands (Business News) - 08.10.2011
- After it was concluded that there was little difference between losing time at the beginning or at the end of the day by extending summertime, discussion changed to whether or not Falkland Islands TV could film Public meetings.
- 46: MEXICAN JOURNALIST VISITS THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Education) - 08.10.2011
- Mexican journalist Pascal Beltran del Rio, Managing Editor of Nuevo Excelsior is in the Falklands to do a series of articles about Falklands’ history, politics and culture.
- 47: FALKLANDS’ CEO RESIGNS FOR PERSONAL REASONS - Falklands (Business News) - 08.10.2011
- Government House has announced on Wednesday that FIG's Chief Executive has tendered his resignation to the Governor.
- 48: Falkland Islands Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum Holds Successful First Meeting - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 08.10.2011
- The Falkland Islands Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum held their first meeting on 27th September in the Chamber of Commerce.
- 49: £36,000.00 for FVF and SAMA’82 - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.10.2011
- Liberty Lodge and the Arboretum in the UK will benefit from money donated by Red Lion Foods and SAMA’82. At a reception for Veterans held at Government House a very grateful Smoky Coles from the Falklands Families Association received both cheques.
- 50: Falklands EXCO Meeting for September 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 08.10.2011
- The Hon. Emma Edwards stood in at the meeting so she and the Hon Gavin Short could consider the first paper, a Planning appeal which I was unable to do because I sat on the Planning and Building meeting at which the original decision was made. The appeal was not upheld.
- 51: DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL RESOURCES SEPTEMBER ACTIVITIES - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 08.10.2011
- At September’s meeting of the Mineral Resources Committee Mrs Phyll Rendell, the Director of Mineral Resources, Gave her monthly report. She began by outlining the progress with the Offshore Drilling Programme.