|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | December 2011|
Articles published in December 2011Select individual articles below or view all 32 articles on one page.
32 articles published
|Jan (40)||Feb (54)||Mar (57)|
|Apr (39)||May (38)||Jun (53)|
|Jul (48)||Aug (52)||Sep (50)|
|Oct (15)||Nov (1)|
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (27)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: Prime Minister's Christmas Message to the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.12.2011
- There is a real sense of a renewed partnership between us, which we will celebrate and consolidate in a White Paper to be published early next year.
- 2: St Helena Speaker of the House to Attend Conference - St Helena (Business News) - 23.12.2011
- The Speaker of the House, Cathy Hopkins MBE, will leave on the RMS St Helena to attend a conference in Trinadad and Tobago.
- 3: St Helena Councillor Buckley Returns from Overseas Visit - St Helena (Business News) - 23.12.2011
- Councillor Rodney Buckley is back on the Island, having attended a range of meetings in the UK to discuss everything from Education to Climate Change.
- 4: St Helena Air Access Update - St Helena (Business News) - 23.12.2011
- Momentum continues to build for the construction of the airport with the arrival of a second Basil Read team this weekend on the RMS.
- 5: FIG EXPRESSES REGRET OVER MERCOSUR SHIPPING BAN - Falklands (Business News) - 22.12.2011
- In response to Argentine pressure MERCOSUR has announced the closure of ports in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil to Falkland Islands flagged vessels.
- 6: GOVERNOR HONOURS ONE OF FALKLANDS’ FINEST - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2011
- A special reception was given at Government House in honour of Andy Brownlee, who was awarded an MBE at Buckingham Palace this spring (UK autumn).
- 7: New GM for Falklands' Development Corporation - Falklands (Business News) - 22.12.2011
- The Secretariat announced on Tuesday that Marc Boucher has been appointed as the new General Manager of FIDC
- 8: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING ON FRIDAY, 16 DECEMBER 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 21.12.2011
- (Part 1: Swearing-in on Barry Elsby and Ian Hansen, Papers and Legislation)
- 9: Falklands: The Hon Mr Mike Summers' Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- Mr Speaker, there is clearly no rush to go first today so I am happy to do so. I would like to first welcome our colleague Ian Hansen back to this House.
- 10: Falklands The Hon Mr Dick Sawle's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, it seems like a very short time since we were last here together but the noticeable difference is that there are no longer six but there are now eight of us in due to last night’s results.
- 11: Falklands: The Hon Mr Roger Edwards' Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- This leads me on to the second item of interest – Argentina. Two colleagues have mentioned this morning the on-going problems with Uruguay and Argentina’s myths, lies and their altered history is having an affect over a wider and wider area and across the world.
- 12: Falklands: The Hon Mrs Sharon Halford's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- I would first like to welcome the Honourable Ian Hansen to this Assembly and congratulate the Honourable Dr Barry Elsby on his election to the Assembly also and I will look forward to working with them both in the future.
- 13: Falklands: The Hon Mr Gavin Short's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion I would like to make a few brief observations.
- 14: Falklands: The Hon Mrs Jan Cheek's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- It was very successful, however, while there we were watching the economic turmoil in Europe - something to which to some extent we are shielded from by distance and time.
- 15: Falklands: The Hon Mr Ian Hansen's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to begin by thanking Honourable Colleagues for their welcome to this Assembly and I’d like to add my congratulations to Dr Barry Elsby on his conclusive victory in the By-election.
- 16: Falklands: The Hon Dr Barry Elsby's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I think I would start by saying please forgive any procedural errors I have, not being familiar with the House here. But I would like to thank everyone for their warm welcome, even if the one from the Hon Sharon Halford was somewhat barbed.
- 17: Falklands: The Hon Dr Tim Thorogood's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- I wanted to thank Members for their remarks and thank you all for that and I really have enjoyed working and very much with each of you over the past two years and with past Members of the Assembly as well.
- 18: Falklands: Commander British Forces' Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, on behalf of the British Forces here, I thank you for your various seasonal good wishes.
- 19: Falklands: The Speaker the Hon Mr Keith Biles' Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Business News) - 21.12.2011
- Honourable members, if I can crave the indulgence of the House, may I, too, welcome Dr Barry Elsby and welcome back Ian Hansen.
- 20: Falklands Summary of Executive Council Meeting 14 December 2011 - Falklands (Legal) - 16.12.2011
- December is usually a month where papers of high importance or of an urgent nature are presented and only some twenty papers came before Exco.
- 21: FIRS GOES ONE TO ONE WITH ANDREW ROSINDLL MP - Falklands (Business News) - 16.12.2011
- A Report for FIRS by Stacey Bragger (SB), Intro and Comments by J. Brock (FINN); A strong supporter of the South Atlantic Islands in Parliament, Mr Rosindell recently questioned the Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. David Cameron MP about British Overseas Territories in the South Atlantic as well as criticising Argentina for intransigence towards the Falklands.
- 22: Falklands PUBLIC MEETING REPORT FOR MONDAY, 12 DECEMBER 2011 - Falklands (Business News) - 16.12.2011
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the town hall on Monday, 12 December 2011 at 1700hrs. Present were the Hon Mr Roger Edwards, the Hon Mr Mike Summers, the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek and the Hon Mr Gavin Short. Approximately 20 members of the public also attended.
- 23: Falklands Election Candidates' Public Meeting Report - Falklands (Business News) - 10.12.2011
- A public meeting with candidates for the Stanley by-election was held at the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall on Monday, 05 December 2011.
- 24: FIFCA Predicts a Hard-Working Year Ahead - Falklands (Fisheries) - 10.12.2011
- The Falkland Islands’ Fishing Companies Association has recently held an annual general meeting at which Cheryl Roberts has been elected chairman for 2011/2012.
- 25: DEMINING TEAM TO RETURN TO THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Business News) - 10.12.2011
- The most important difference about this second phase is that the project aim is to release land that is currently unavailable for social use but is considered to be safe.
- 26: Inshore South Georgia What's Down There? - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 10.12.2011
- The Shallow Marine Survey Group (SMSG) has published the most comprehensive record of species richness from the shallow sublittoral zone of the north coast of South Georgia.
- 27: St Helena ExCo Report- 6th December 2011 - St Helena (Business News) - 10.12.2011
- EXCO met this morning to address several important items on the agenda. The first paper taken sought to address concerns raised by Councillors about the way some aspects of the Social Security regulations were applied and whether there might be a need for some fine tuning.
- 28: Falklands - ELECTION MANIFESTO SPEECH BY JOHN BIRMINGHAM - Falklands (Business News) - 06.12.2011
- I like to be involved in local affairs and so I am standing in this by-election to the Assembly because I believe I have something to offer.
- 29: Falklands - ELECTION MANIFESTO SPEECH OF STEVE VINCENT - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 05.12.2011
- Our economic situation seems to have improved from the dark and dismal picture painted during the last round of budget cuts and increased taxation.
- 30: Falklands - ELECTION MANIFESTO SPEECH OF NORMAN BESLEY-CLARK - Falklands (Business News) - 05.12.2011
- We are now in mid-term in the life of this Council. The world’s economies are almost at a standstill; the Euro-zone is in turmoil and in my view almost likely unravelled further in the first half of next year.
- 31: Falklands - Chief Police Officer Appointed - Falklands (Business News) - 03.12.2011
- Government House have announced the selection of Barry Marsden as the new Director of Emergency Services and Chief Police Officer. The selection process took place in the UK this month.
- 32: Falklands - Election Manifesto speech of Barry Elsby - Falklands (Business News) - 03.12.2011
- Good evening. For those of you who do not know me, my family and I came to the Falklands on a two-year contract in 1990 and loved the Islands and the people so much that the Falklands are now our home.