|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | May 2012|
Articles published in May 2012Select individual articles below or view all 37 articles on one page.
37 articles published
|Jan (40)||Feb (53)||Mar (57)|
|Apr (39)||May (1)|
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (27)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: FALKLANDS GOVERNOR'S ADDRESS TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY - Falklands (Legal) - 26.05.2012
- Mr Speaker, the past year has been interesting and challenging for the Falkland Islands. There are a number of reasons for this, some of which I will outline in this address. I will also set out how the Government responded to those challenges and I will outline its future aims and aspirations.
- 2: FIRST FALKLAND ISLANDER AWARDED CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP - Falklands (Education) - 19.05.2012
- Sam Cockwell, son of Richard and Grizelda Cockwell of Fox Bay Village has been awarded a Chevening Scholarship.
- 3: Fishing Master and Company Fined in the Falklands for False Catch Reports - Falklands (Legal) - 19.05.2012
- On 14th May 2012 the Magistrate’s Court heard the prosecutions of the Hae In Fisheries Company, the owners of the Korean jigger, 21 Hae In, and it’s Master, Kim Whi Gon.
- 4: SUCCESSFUL FALKLANDS VISIT TO SCOTLAND - Falklands (Business News) - 19.05.2012
- The Falkland Islands Chamber of Commerce undertook an extremely successful trade mission to Aberdeen and the Shetland Islands between 8th and 12th May.
- 5: SECOND MESSY CHURCH AT THE TOWN HALL - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.05.2012
- The second Messy Church event in the Falklands was held in the Town Hall on Sunday 13 May from 4 to 6pm.
- 6: BARN DANCE REPORT FROM CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.05.2012
- Christ Church Cathedral held another very successful Barn Dance in the Parish Hall on the evening of Friday 11 May.
- 7: FALKLANDS: RURAL DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY GROUP MEETING REPORT - S.Atlantic (Agriculture) - 19.05.2012
- David Jenkins, Director of Health and Education and Tom Hill, Head of the Infant Junior School and Camp Education accompanied the Rural Development Strategy group to Fox Bay Village on May 7th. They discussed possible improvements for education and training in Camp.
- 8: FALKLANDS BUSINESS IN TRADE VISIT TO ABERDEEN AND SHETLAND - Falklands (Business News) - 19.05.2012
- Several business members of the Falkland Islands Chamber of Commerce are visiting Aberdeen in Scotland as well as the Shetland Islands to see how the oil business has developed in Scotland.
- 9: ST HELENA SUPPORTS INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST HOMOPHOBIA AND TRANSPHOBIA - St Helena (Education) - 19.05.2012
- An International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHO) is held annually on 17th May and aims to gather international support for the respect of lesbians, bisexual and transgender people worldwide.
- 10: ST HELENA: PROVISIONAL REGISTER OF ELECTORS PUBLISHED - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 19.05.2012
- The 2012 Provisional Registers of Electors for the East and West Constituencies have now been published and the public are reminded that they now have eight days left to make applications to amend the register.
- 11: Roddy’s Chicken Farm Set to End Egg Importation on St Helena - St Helena (Agriculture) - 19.05.2012
- ‘Cluck cluck cluck cluck’ means a chicken is around right? Well, 525 Lohmann Brown chickens actually, clucking all at once at Roddy’s Chicken Farm, Farm Buildings.
- 12: ST HELENA: REVISED FUEL PRICES - St Helena (Business News) - 19.05.2012
- Wholesale prices from the Bulk Fuel Installation have been revised following the last tanker delivery on 8 May 2012.
- 13: C-24 MEETING IN ECUADOR AT END MAY-BEGINNING JUNE - All (Business News) - 13.05.2012
- C24 - the United Nations Special Committee on Decolonization —will hold its Pacific Regional Seminar inQuito, Ecuador from 30 May to 1 June 2012, to review progress in the United Nations decolonisation process.
- 14: LOCAL Man in BUCS Outdoor Athletics Championships - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.05.2012
- Local man, Zoran Zuvic has competed in the New Olympic Stadium in the UK
- 15: Cruise Ship Stranded at Grytviken for Two Weeks - S.Georgia (Tourism/Travel) - 12.05.2012
- Sarah Lurcock from the South Georgia Website tells us more.
- 16: FALKLANDS REMEMBER NICK TAYLOR - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.05.2012
- A memorial service to remember Nick Taylor RN, who tragically died when he was shot down at Goose Green in May 1982, took place on Sunday, 06 May 2012.
- 17: Proposed 25% Stake in FOGL Could Mean Onshore LNG Plant for the Falklands - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 12.05.2012
- Business Standard, India’s leading financial publication, has reported that– ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL) the overseas branch of Indian state-owned oil and natural gas company - The Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) is negotiating to buy a 25% stake in Falkland Oil and Gas Ltd (FOGL) in two exploration blocks, lying approximately 350 miles off the Southern tip of Argentina.
- 18: Falklands: Stebbing Prospect - 61/25-1 Well Spudded - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 12.05.2012
- Borders & Southern (AIM: BOR) has announced that exploration well 61/25-1 was spudded on 11 May 2012. The well is located approximately 170 km south of the Falkland Islands.
- 19: FIRS THROWS THE SPOTLIGHT ON FIFCA - Falklands (Fisheries) - 12.05.2012
- Members of the Falkland Islands Fishing Companies Association recently appeared at the Vigo Seafood Show held in Belgium.
- 20: St Helena EXCO meeting of 8 May 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 12.05.2012
- EXCO sat on Monday morning to consider a relatively light agenda, but I should first report on the previous morning meeting of EXCO two weeks ago on 24 April.
- 21: NEWS FROM ST HELENA TOURISM (9 May 2012) - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 12.05.2012
- The final cruise ship visit of the current season proved to be a great success on Monday, when the MV Athena visited the island. This was the first time the Athena had called at the island.
- 22: St Helena: COUNCILLOR TARA THOMAS TO VISIT LONDON - St Helena (Business News) - 12.05.2012
- Leaving on the RMS on Monday 14 May on overseas leave is Councillor Tara Thomas. Cllr Thomas will be overseas until 10 August. Although on private leave, Cllr Thomas will be attending the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations on behalf of St Helena along with other Leaders of the UK OT’s.
- 23: ‘Jo Acer’ Arrives in St Helena - St Helena (Shipping/Freight) - 12.05.2012
- The Tanker ‘Jo Acer’ arrived on Tuesday, 8th May 2012
- 24: MICROSOFT SHAREPOINT TO ENHANCE SHG COLLABORATION AND INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS - St Helena (Business News) - 12.05.2012
- As part of the DfID-funded Public Sector Modernisation Programme, St Helena Government introduced a new records management system about a year ago, based on functionality provided by the Wide Area Network (WAN).
- 25: Falklands’ Officials Disappointed at Argentine Olympic Advert - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.05.2012
- The Hon Mr Ian Hansen, MLA has stated that Members of Legislative Assembly very disappointed to see the advert from the Argentine Presidential Office, attempting to politicise the Olympics in service of their territorial ambitions.
- 26: FIRS THROWS THE SPOTLIGHT ON JOHN BARTON - Falklands (Business News) - 05.05.2012
- This year marks the 25th year of the establishment of the Falkland Islands’ Fishery. The fishery has provided economic stability for the Falklands and on the programme Stacey Bragger spoke to John Barton (JB), Director of Natural Resources. He became Director of Fisheries in 1989 and Mr Bragger asked him about his thoughts about the fishery reaching the milestone of 25 years.
- 27: Falklands: THREE HUMAN RIGHTS PROJECTS LAUNCHED AT COMMUNITY LIBRARY - Falklands (Legal) - 05.05.2012
- Three Human Rights Projects were launched at the Community Library on Tuesday evening. The first was a book and pamphlet project sponsored by the Falkland Islands Human Rights Group, bringing together in one place local and international Human Rights publications on special shelving at the Library.
- 28: Queens Diamond Jubilee Celebrations for the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.05.2012
- The only other British Monarch to have celebrated a Diamond Jubilee was Queen Victoria in 1897 but 2012 marks the 60th year of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth’s reign.
- 29: MLA Sawle attends Falklands Conference at University of Kent - Falklands (Business News) - 05.05.2012
- Last week, Dick Sawle MLA attended a 3 day conference at the University of Kent entitled “The Falkland Conflict – 30 years on”. The Speakers list comprised of a number of people with key involvement in the Falklands at the time of the Conflict, ranging from the politicians and the reporters to the military commanders.
- 30: Falklands: Summary of Executive Council Meeting 25 April 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 05.05.2012
- Many of the April papers are budget related so will not be reported in detail as they are referred to Budget Select Committee. These included options and priorities for road maintenance and an update on Budget policy thus far.
- 31: Falklands Mineral Resources Committee Director’s Report - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 05.05.2012
- A meeting of the Mineral Resources Committee took place at 0930hrs on Monday, 30 April 2012. At that meeting the Director of the Mineral Resources Department presented his report
- 32: St Helena By-Election 2012 – West Electoral Area - St Helena (Business News) - 05.05.2012
- Don’t forget the last day and time for submitting nominations is at noon on Wednesday, 16th May 2012. All nominations should be delivered within this time to the Returning Officer, Mrs Gillian Francis at the Castle, Jamestown.
- 33: St Helena Update on Jamestown’s Main Street - St Helena (Business News) - 05.05.2012
- As part of the planning for Jamestown Main Street, St Helena Tourism has held positive talks with utility providers so that any underground works could be co-ordinated, with utility works carried out at the same time that pavement improvements were being made.
- 34: ST HELENA: CHIEF SECRETARY APPOINTED ACTING GOVERNOR - St Helena (Business News) - 05.05.2012
- St Helena Government Chief Secretary, Owen O’Sullivan, is pictured taking the Governor’s prescribed Oaths of Office, in the presence of the Sheriff of St Helena, Harry Legg OBE JP, in the Governor’s Office at the Castle, on Saturday 28 April 2012 - on his appointment as Acting Governor of St Helena. The Swearing In as Acting Governor becomes immediately effective.
- 35: ST HELENA: NAPOLEON’S DEATH TO BE COMMEMORATED - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 05.05.2012
- Saturday, 5 May, will mark the date on which Napoleon died at Longwood House. In partnership with the Honorary French Consul, St Helena Tourism is again coordinating a commemoration of this event.
- 36: St Helena: Cruise ship numbers increase - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 05.05.2012
- St Helena Tourism has been targeting cruise ship operators at trade shows and via direct contact, to include the island in their itineraries, as part of its work developing tourism.
- 37: St Helena: SPECTACLES – CUSTOMS DUTIES - St Helena (Business News) - 05.05.2012
- The Health and Social Welfare Directorate wishes to amend their previous announcement about customs duty on spectacles.