|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | July 2012|
Articles published in July 2012Select individual articles below or view all 56 articles on one page.
56 articles published
|Jan (40)||Feb (26)||Mar (0)|
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (27)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: The Hon Mr Gavin Short: Motion for Adjournment Speech 23 July 2012 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, we might as well get the two long ones out of the way first this morning although I must say I think my son probably has achieved what a few of you and the public wish you could have – much shorter than normal adjournment speech.
- 2: The Hon Mr Ian Hansen: Motion for Adjournment Speech 23 July 2012 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, we shall now go from quantity and quality to the exact opposite. I only have a few brief comments today.
- 3: The Hon Mrs Jan Cheek: Motion for Adjournment Speech 23 July 2012 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I was somewhat stunned by the suggestion that some of us might need a stair lift. Some of us can run up the stairs depending on the occasion.
- 4: The Hon Mr Roger Edwards: Motion for Adjournment Speech 23 July 2012 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, It seems everyone wishes to be the last to speak. In rising to support the motion I will start by letting the listeners know that has been 3 weeks since I returned from my travels to the United Nations? Firstly I went to Ecuador for the pre-C-24 meeting.
- 5: The Hon Mrs Sharon Halford: Motion for Adjournment Speech 23 July 2012 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to speak to the Motion, I would first like to belatedly offer my congratulations to the FIDF on their achievements at Bisley. Although part time they are a dedicated group of people who continue to do the Islands proud.
- 6: The Hon Dr Barry Elsby: Motion for Adjournment Speech 23 July 2012 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to speak to the Motion I might as well be rather brief as many points have already been raised by other Honourable Members.
- 7: Chief of Staff MPC: Motion for Adjournment Speech 23 July 2012 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 30.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I just want to say a couple of words and to emphasise what an honour and privilege it was for all of us at MPC to share with the Falkland Islands’ Community the events surrounding the 30th Anniversary
- 8: Falklands: Fortuna Limited Launches New Website - Falklands (Fisheries) - 28.07.2012
- Fortuna Limited has launched a new website aimed at seafood marketing. The new website will expand the company’s marketing network and emphasize the improvements to product quality and logistics.
- 9: Falklands: PUBLIC MEETING REPORT MONDAY, 23 JULY 2012 - Falklands (Business News) - 28.07.2012
- A public meeting on the budget took place in the town Hall at 1700hrs on Monday, 23 July 2012. Present were the Hon Dick Salle, MLA (Chairman), the Hon Mr Roger Edwards MLA, the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford MLA, the Hon Mr Ian Hansen MLA, the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek MLA, the Hon Mr Gavin Short MLA and the Hon Dr Barry Elsby.
- 10: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MEETING THURSDAY, 26 July 2012 Part 1: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 28.07.2012
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place at 0930hrs on Thursday, 26 July 2012 in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall. Present were the Speaker, Mr Keith Biles, the Clerk of Assembly, Ms Claudette Anderson-Prior, the Chief Executive, Mr Keith Padgett, the acting Financial Secretary Ms Nicola Granger, MLAs Cheek, Edwards, Elsby, Hansen, Halford, Short and Sawle
- 11: SHG AND CABLE & WIRELESS SOUTH ATLANTIC SIGN NEW DEAL - St Helena (Business News) - 28.07.2012
- Broadband, TV, telephone and mobile services on St Helena took a crucial step forward today, as SHG and Cable & Wireless South Atlantic Ltd (C&WSA) signed a 10-year deal that will improve services and reduce costs for users, as we move towards air access in 2015. Detailed and tough negotiations produced an outcome which is good for the consumer, good for C&WSA, good for economic development and good for SHG.
- 12: St Helena ADDITIONAL RUNWAY WORKS TO ALLOW FOR FUTURE EXPANSION - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 28.07.2012
- SHG announced today that the first Variation Order under the Airport Project has been signed. The Variation Order sets out changes to the runway design that will give the Island the flexibility in the future to easily extend the runway to cater for larger aircraft, such as the Boeing 737-800 and Airbus 320.
- 13: St Helena SPECIAL MEETING OF EXCO, TUESDAY 31 July 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 28.07.2012
- There will be a special meeting of Executive Council on Tuesday, 31st July at 9.30am in the Council Chamber.
- 14: St Helena: EXCO meeting of 24 July 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 28.07.2012
- I began our meeting today by bringing Councillors up to date with news of our colleague Paul Blessington, Financial Secretary, who left for Cape Town onboard the Basil Read ship on 12 July to seek urgent medical attention. High seas had caused a prolonged and uncomfortable crossing to Walvis Bay.
- 15: St Helena: KEY STAGE 2 SATs 2011-12 - St Helena (Education) - 28.07.2012
- The first results of this year’s SATs have now been made available. These are the standard assessment tests that children take at the end of Primary Education in English, Mathematics and Science.
- 16: St Helena: Closure of Prosperous Bay Plain - St Helena (Business News) - 28.07.2012
- Members of the Public will be aware that the first call of the NP Glory 4 brought a great deal of plant and heavy machinery to the island. Basil Read is in the final stages of completing the access track for the haul road and the plant will then be taken through to the airport site at Prosperous Bay Plain.
- 17: ST HELENA REPORTS ON OPEN GOVERNMENT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 28.07.2012
- In his report of yesterday’s meeting of ExCo, HE Governor Capes signalled the public release of various pieces of business as follows:
- 18: Report of Executive Council Meeting held on Wednesday 25 July 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 28.07.2012
- Executive Councillors attending were The Hon Jan Cheek, The Hon Sharon Halford and the Hon Dick Sawle.
- 19: The Hon Mr Dick Sawle MLA Motion for Adjournment Speeche - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 28.07.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to touch on a few points that I hope will be of interest to those listening.
- 20: Breeding Black-browed Albatrosses breeding in the Falkland Islands show a healthy increase - Falklands (Environment) - 28.07.2012
- Dr Anton Wolfaardt of ACAP (Agreement on the Conservation of Albatrosses and Petrels) for the UK South Atlantic Overseas Territories and Joint Nature Conservation Committee indicates, in a new repoert, that the numbers of Black-browed Albatrosses breeding in the Falkland Islands have increased.
- 21: ALFREDA YON GAINS DIPLOMA IN PROJECT AND PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT - St Helena (Education) - 28.07.2012
- Alfreda Yon, Manager (Projects & Corporate Procurement) in the Corporate Procurement Unit, has been awarded a Level 5 Diploma (equivalent to a First Degree) in Project and Programme Management with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). Her course was funded by SHG via Distance Learning.
- 22: Falklands Now Have GPRS EDGE Mobile Data Services - Falklands (Business News) - 28.07.2012
- Cable & Wireless South Atlantic Limited have announced the launch of our GPRS EDGE mobile data services from 8am on Wednesday 1st August 2012.
- 23: YOUTH PARLIAMENTARIANS NEEDED FOR THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Education) - 21.07.2012
- Two people are being sought by the Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly to represent the Falkland Islands at the 5th Commonwealth Youth Parliament (CYP) in London, United Kingdom, 4-8 December 2012.
- 24: Stanley Waterfront Master Plan Project out for Public Consultation - Falklands (Business News) - 21.07.2012
- A second phase of public consultation for the Stanley Waterfront Master Plan project will begin on the 23rd of July 2012, which will end on the 19th August 2012.
- 25: Potential BAS Merger With National Oceanography Centre - S.Georgia (Environment) - 21.07.2012
- A possible merger of the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) with the National Oceanography Centre (NOC) was announced on June 7th by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), the umbrella organisation for both organisations.
- 26: St Helena's Further Success in the UK! - St Helena (Business News) - 21.07.2012
- Trainee Medical Laboratory Scientist, Casey Gough (of Alarm Forest) has successfully graduated from Highbury College in Portsmouth with an Access to Higher Education Diploma in Biological & Bio-Medical Sciences.
- 27: St Helena - NEW MATHS TEACHER FOR PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL - St Helena (Education) - 21.07.2012
- The Education and Employment Directorate is pleased to announce the appointment of Ms Hema Soni as Advisory Teacher for Mathematics at Prince Andrew School.
- 28: SCHOOLS’ ANTI- SMOKING POSTER COMPETITION - St Helena (Health) - 21.07.2012
- Winners of the Schools’ Anti- Smoking Poster Competition have today been announced.
The competition, which took place throughout the schools during the month of June, is part of the extensive information campaign in the lead up to the new Tobacco Control Ordinance which comes into force on 1 September 2012.
- 29: NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PLAN – WE’D LIKE YOUR VIEWS - St Helena (Environment) - 21.07.2012
- A draft National Environmental Management Plan (NEMP) which falls under Goal Three of St Helena’s Sustainable Development Plan – Effective Management of the Environment - is now out for public consultation.
- 30: St Helena - FIVE STUDENTS OFF TO UNIVERSITY SOON - St Helena (Business News) - 21.07.2012
- Five former Prince Andrew School students are set to embark on an exciting chapter in their lives when they leave for the UK in August to begin their University/College studies.
- 31: BORDERS & SOUTHERN – RADICAL DISAPPOINTMENT ISN’T WORTH CURRENT RESULTS - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 19.07.2012
- In less than a month Borders & Southern Shares headed into the deep-south at an alarming rate but nothing in the South Falkland Basin has changed since exploration has started. What has changed is our knowledge of a tiny section of it.
- 32: Falklands: Stebbing well ‘very disappointing’ says Borders & Southern - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 16.07.2012
- Borders & Southern Petroleum plc has announced that Well 61/25-1 was drilled to a total measured depth of 3060m (true vertical depth of 3011m).
- 33: Falklands BECKSIDE FARM COULD HAVE AN EDUCATIONAL FUTURE - Falklands (Agriculture) - 14.07.2012
- If Marcus Morrison has his way Beckside Farm could be the ideal site to further expand the Training Centre’s range of training and qualification for apprentices, school students and the General Public.
- 34: Falklands EXCO TO CONSIDER NEW ROAD MAINTENANCE AND CAPPING PRIORITIES - Falklands (Business News) - 14.07.2012
- At several public meetings and at Farmers’ Week the subject of roads took a large portion of MLAs’ time.
- 35: Clock Times: Falklands to Remain on Summer Time - Falklands (Business News) - 14.07.2012
- Based on the results from the Falkland Islands Census 2012, MLAs have agreed that clock times will continue to remain on Summer Time all year round.
- 36: St Helena Questions for Written Answer - St Helena (Legal) - 14.07.2012
- ESH FUNDING - Answer by Financial Secretary Paul Blessington at LEGCO of 6 July 2012 to the Question: How is the recently created ESH being funded?
- 37: St Helena NEW HEADTEACHER FOR PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL - St Helena (Business News) - 14.07.2012
- Education and Employment Colin Moore has announced that Mr Paul Starkie has been appointed as the new Head teacher at Prince Andrew School succeeding Abraham Swart on the completion of his contract at the end of December this year.
- 38: St Helena: EXCO meeting of 10 July 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 14.07.2012
- Our agenda today began with an update, a first quarter report, from the Director of Infrastructure and Utilities, David Thompson, on progress with the 2012 -15 Infrastructure programme.
- 39: St Helena: Questions for Written Answer - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 14.07.2012
- Over recent months, public debate has shown a lack of understanding about how and why Enterprise St Helena is being funded.
- 40: St Helena: COUNCILLOR MERYON YON RETURNS FROM CONFERENCE IN SCOTLAND - Falklands (Business News) - 14.07.2012
- ‘Making Parliament Relevant...’ was the central theme at the 42nd British Island and Mediterranean Region (BIMR) Annual Conference, which Councillor Mervyn Yon recently attended on behalf of St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha.
- 41: FIG Optimistic about Rockhopper/Premier Oil Farm-in Agreement - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 14.07.2012
- The Falkland Islands Government os optimistic about news of a farm-in agreement between Rockhopper Exploration plc and Premier Oil plc.
- 42: SHG CONTRACTS REGISTER 2011/12 - St Helena (Business News) - 14.07.2012
- In 2011, Executive Council formally agreed to the maintenance and publication of a list of contracts to provide greater transparency in SHG’s procurement activities and facilitate monitoring.
- 43: St Helena FINANCIAL SECRETARY ON MEDICAL LEAVE - St Helena (Health) - 14.07.2012
- The Financial Secretary, Paul Blessington, has been advised to seek urgent medical attention – and will be leaving St Helena for South Africa this afternoon.
- 44: Conditional £Billion for Falklands’ oil - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 12.07.2012
- Rockhopper Exploration has announced that it has entered into a conditional farm-out agreement with Premier Oil plc
- 45: Falklands: HEALTH AND EDUCATION DEPARTMENT TO SPLIT - Falklands (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- A Report for FITV by Paula Fawmes: The Health and Education Department is to split into two separate Departments. Chief Executive, Keith Padgett (KP), spoke to FITV about this decision.
- 46: Health and Medical Services Committee:Director’s Update and Performance Report – July 2012 - Falklands (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- By Director Health & Education
Falkland Islands Government: This report updates Committee Members on the work of the Health and Social Services Department and covers a range of issues and performance indicators.
- 47: FIH Announces £10 Million for Falklands’ Investment - Falklands (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- Falkland Islands Holdings is to invest £10 Million raised from the sale of FOGL shares and other sources in infrastructure in the Falklands. Currently Mr John Foster, Falkland Islands Holdings’ Managing Director is visiting the Falklands to see where the money would best be spent.
- 48: Report of Executive Council Meeting held on Wednesday 27 June 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 07.07.2012
- Present were MLAs Sharon Halford, Ian Hansen and myself. I was standing in for MLA Jan Cheek who is presently outside the Islands and Ian was standing in for MLA Dick Sawle.
- 49: Falklands: WELCOME FITV TUESDAY - Falklands (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- FITV are now producing a twice-weekly news programme. Matthew Salt presented the first Tuesday programme aired over FITV on 03 July 2012.
- 50: WORLD WATER DAY FALKLANDS FARMERS’ WEEK THEME - Falklands (Agriculture) - 07.07.2012
- The annual Falkland Farmers’ Week was based at the Town Hall from Monday, 02 to Friday, 06 July 2012 beginning with a Rural Expo organised by the Rural Business Association.
- 51: St Helena DOUBLE SUCCESS IN UK! - St Helena (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- GARETH DRABBLE AND KIMBERLEY YON-ROBERTS BOTH AWARDED 1ST CLASS HONOURS DEGREES
- 52: St Helena: NEW CHIEF MAGISTRATE TAKES OATHS OF OFFICE - St Helena (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- Mr John MacRitchie, the new Chief Magistrate, has arrived on St Helena and yesterday took the Oaths of Office in the presence of Governor Capes at HE’s Office in the Castle, Jamestown
- 53: St Helena: HOWZAT! - GOVERNOR HONOURS ST HELENA CRICKET TEAM - St Helena (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- Cricket fever continues on St Helena, as H.E. the Governor and Mrs Capes honoured the Island’s cricket squad and supporters with a reception at Plantation House last Thursday
- 54: St Helena: FORMAL LEGCO THIS FRIDAY - St Helena (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- Legislative Council will meet this coming Friday, 6th July, at 10am in the Court House, Jamestown. The meeting is expected to be a one day session and will be broadcast live via Radio St Helena.
- 55: St Helena: Roads Section Install Pipes at Hunts Vale - St Helena (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- On Tuesday 3rd July 2012, the Roads Section carried out work to install large pipes under the Road at Hunts Vale.
- 56: St Helena: PROGRESS ON BASIL READ AND SHG’S WATER DRILLING PROGRAMMES - St Helena (Business News) - 07.07.2012
- Both Basil Read and SHG have been involved in water drilling programmes recently. The needs of each are very different, with Basil Read looking at relatively short term availability of water for airport construction purposes, while SHG is looking at the long term needs of the Island.