|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | August 2012|
Articles published in August 2012Select individual articles below or view all 62 articles on one page.
62 articles published
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (1)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
- 1: Public Meeting: 27 August 2012 - Falklands (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- A public meeting was held in the court and Assembly Chamber of the Town hall at 1700hrs on Monday, 27 August 2012. Present were the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek, the Hon Mr roger Edwards, the Hon Mr Mike Summers (Chair), the Hon Mr Ian Hansen and the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford.
- 2: Falklands Executive Council Meeting 29 August 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 31.08.2012
- At the meeting of Executive Council on 29 August 2012 the Honourable Gavin Short was stand in for the Honourable Dick Sawle who is overseas with the Honourable Barry Elsby on Assembly business.
- 3: St Helena NEW FINANCIAL SECRETARY TAKES OATHS OF OFFICE - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- Mr Colin Owen yesterday took the Oaths of Office as the new Financial Secretary for St Helena in the Governor’s Office at the Castle in Jamestown. He is pictured here with Governor Capes.
- 4: St Helena TEMPORARY MEMBERS OF EXECUTIVE COUNCIL APPOINTED - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- Councillors Rodney Buckley and John Cranfield are to act as temporary members of Executive Council following the departure of Councillors Anthony Green and Derek Thomas today.
- 5: St Helena DEADLINE FOR ELECTIONS QUESTIONAIRES – FRIDAY 31 AUGUST 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- The public are reminded to please complete the short Elections questionnaire issued on 10 August 2012.
- 6: St Helena: NEW TOBACCO RULES - IN FORCE THIS SATURDAY – 1 SEPTEMBER 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- On Saturday 1 September, most of the new tobacco rules will come into force. In the lead up to Saturday SHG has issued material explaining the new Ordinance, informing the public of changes and encouraging people to stop smoking.
- 7: St Helena: DEADLINE TOMMORROW FOR ADDING YOU NAME TO THE REGISTER OF ELECTORS - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- The last date for submitting applications to have your name placed on the Register of Electors, and in time for the upcoming By-Election in the East Constituency is tomorrow, Friday 31 August 2012.
- 8: St Helena REVISED FUEL PRICES - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- Wholesale prices from the Bulk Fuel Installation (BFI) have been revised following the last tanker delivery on 15 August 2012. This is in accordance with the pricing policy approved by Executive Council in June 2010.
- 9: St helena RUPERTS OPEN FOR WEEKEND - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- Following completion of Basil Read cargo operations in Ruperts, the beach and Shears areas in lower Ruperts Valley will be open to the general public from 5pm today, Friday, 24 August, and throughout the holiday weekend.
- 10: St Helena NEXT DEVELOPMENT AID PLANNING MISSION (DAPM) - St Helena (Business News) - 31.08.2012
- A team from the Department for International Development (DFID) will be on-Island from 13-21 November 2012, to carry out the next Development Aid Planning Mission (DAPM) for St Helena.
- 11: TREVOR THOMAS STANDS DOWN AS CHAIRMAN OF THE ST HELENA FISHERMAN’S ASSOCIATION - St Helena (Fisheries) - 31.08.2012
- Many will by the time know that I have stood down from the chair for the Fisherman’s Association and also that the Executive Committee is now comprised of an entirely new composite.
- 12: FALKLANDS IN 2017: WHAT THE DIFFERENCES IN CAMP COULD BE - Falklands (Agriculture) - 25.08.2012
- Members of Legislative Assembly had a dedicated meeting about what to expect should there be significant developments in the Hydrocarbons industry. Much of the emphasis was what would happen in and around Stanley: Infrastructure, Social Issues, coping with increased numbers of people – immigrant families as well as single people, etc.
- 13: FALKLAND ISLANDS HOLDINGS: DAVID HUDD SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT - Falklands (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- David Hudd, Chairman of Falkland Islands Holdings plc has outlined progress of the international services Group which owns essential services businesses focused on transport and logistics and which has a 4% shareholding in Falkland Oil and Gas Limited ("FOGL") at its Annual General Meeting ("AGM") at 11.00am today, 21 August 2012, at the offices of FTI Consulting, 26 Southampton Buildings, London WC2A 1PB.
- 14: COOLER SEA TEMPERATURES SEEN AS A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR IN THIS YEAR’S ST HELENA FISHERIES DECLINE - Falklands (Fisheries) - 25.08.2012
- May I share some thoughts on the current situation regarding our local Fishing Industry? Last year the local fishing industry experienced the most productive period for some time, which even resulted in the reintroduction of the dreaded imposition of catch quotas due to lack of storage space at the cold store in Rupert’s.
- 15: Falklands Tooth-fish enters MSC assessment Aug 21, 2012 - Falklands (Fisheries) - 25.08.2012
- Consolidated Fisheries Ltd announced on Tuesday, 21 August 2012 that the Falkland Islands long-line Patagonian Tooth-fish (Dissostichus eleginoides) fishery entered full assessment for Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification.
- 16: Falkland Oil and Gas Announces Interim Results for Previous six Months - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 25.08.2012
- Falkland Islands Oil & Gas (FOGL) had announced its Interim Results for the six months ended 30 June 2012,
- 17: TEAM TRANQUIL HOLDS COOKERY WORKSHOP - Falklands (Health) - 25.08.2012
- On Wednesday 22 August Team Tranquil sponsored a cooking workshop run by Anita Browning at the Falkland Islands Community School. The workshop was attended by 10 people of all ages and ability.
- 18: St Helena: NEW FINANCIAL SECRETARY TO TAKE OFFICE - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- Colin Owen, St Helena Government’s current Chief Auditor, will take up the role of Financial Secretary on Tuesday 28 August 2012, for a three year term, succeeding Paul Blessington and Acting Financial Secretary, Dax Richards.
- 19: St Helena: INSPECTION OF ROCKFALL PROTECTION INFRASTRUCTURE - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- The Car Park behind the Museum will be closed to pedestrians and vehicles tomorrow, Friday 24 August 201). This closure is necessary to allow a further inspection of the slope above it following the work done yesterday (Wednesday 22 August 2012).
- 20: St Helena: EXCO Meeting of 21 August 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- Today, 21 August, we had only one paper to consider and it was therefore a quite short meeting.
- 21: St Helena EXTENDED WORKING HOURS IN RUPERTS - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- The public may be aware that currently there is less than 500m of the 14.1km access track to be completed. However, Basil Read has encountered rocky outcrops in this last section in Upper Ruperts, which has slowed down progress.
- 22: St Helena BY ELECTION – EAST CONSTITUENCY - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- A By Election will shortly be held in the East Constituency to replace Councillor Tara Thomas whose resignation from the Legislative Council will take effect from 31 August 2012. Constituents in the Longwood, Levelwood, Alarm Forest and Jamestown electoral areas should therefore check to see if their names are on the Register of Electors that was published on 1 July 2012.
- 23: St Helena: COUNCILLOR TARA THOMAS BACK ON-ISLAND - St Helena (Education) - 25.08.2012
- Councillor Tara Thomas arrived back on St Helena on 11 August, following her time in the UK - where she attended the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Olympics Opening Ceremony on behalf of St Helena, along with other representatives of the UK OTs. She also visited Shropshire, to meet with colleagues involved in our Education Sector Support Programme.
- 24: St Helena: CRUSHER PLANT TESTING IN RUPERTS - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- Following consultation with Ruperts Residents, permission has been granted for Basil Read to test their crusher plant in Ruperts. Tests will take place between 28 August and 7 September 2012, during the following hours:
- 25: St Helena: ARRIVAL OF NP GLORY 4 (VOYAGE 3) - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- The NP Glory 4 is expected to arrive in Ruperts Bay at 0600 on Thursday, 23 August. The vessel is carrying plant and materials for the Airport Project.
- 26: St Helena: SOLID WASTE PLAN LAUNCHED FOR PUBLIC CONSULTATION - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- On 15 August , the Natural Resources Development and Environment Committee (NRDEC) agreed that the draft solid waste management strategy should go out for public consultation for one month.
- 27: St Helena: IMPROVEMENT TO BUS ROUTE FROM SANDY BAY TO HALF TREE HOLLOW - St Helena (Business News) - 25.08.2012
- In June this year, SHG introduced a new public transport service from Sandy Bay to Half Tree Hollow on Monday mornings.
- 28: Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour to Mrs Marjorie Hayward - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.08.2012
- His Excellency the Governor, acting on the advice of Executive Council, is pleased to announce the 2012 award of the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour
- 29: Gentlemen’s’ Agreement Averts Standard Chartered Exit from New York - Falklands (Business News) - 18.08.2012
- Standard Chartered Bank has agreed to pay $340 Million (£217 Million) to settle sanctions-busting allegations in the US.
- 30: ROADS AND THE REFERENDUM DISCUSSED AT GOOSE GREEN PUBLIC MEETING - Falklands (Business News) - 18.08.2012
- A public meeting was held at Goose Green Social Club on Tuesday, 14 August 2012. Present were the Chief Executive Mr Keith Padgett, Mr John Ferguson of FIMCO, Head of Policy, Mr Jamie Fotheringham, Mr Simon Catten, Roads Engineer, the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford MLA, the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek MLA, the Hon Mr Roger Edwards MLA, the Hon Dr Barry Elsby MLA, the Hon Mr Dick Sawle MLA, the Hon Mr Mike Summers MLA and the Hon Mr Ian Hansen MLA.
- 31: Falklands Youth to Represent Islands at 5th Commonwealth Youth Parliament - Falklands (Education) - 18.08.2012
- Stacy Bragger and Krysteen Ormond, two youth from the Falklands have been nominated by the Legislative Assembly to represent the Falkland Islands at the 5th Commonwealth Youth Parliament (CYP) in London between 4th to the 8th December 2012.
- 32: St Helena: FURTHER CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 18.08.2012
- Elected Members are keen to listen to the concerns of their constituents, and are planning a further series of Constituency Meetings around the Island during September.
- 33: PROPOSED CHANGES TO DOGS & CATS AND AGRICULTURE & LIVESTOCK IMPROVEMENT LAWS - St Helena (Agriculture) - 18.08.2012
- The Natural Resources Development and Environment Committee (NRDEC) has made a recommendation to Executive Council to amend the Dogs & Cats Ordinance 2012 and the Agriculture & Livestock Improvement Ordinance 2012 – in preparation for the three-yearly Animal Census on St Helena
- 34: St Helena - INSPECTION OF ROCKFALL PROTECTION INFRASTRUCTURE - St Helena (Business News) - 18.08.2012
- Commencing Monday 20 August 2012, the Rock Guards from Infrastructure & Utilities Directorate will be undertaking inspections of the Rockfall protection Infrastructure above Jamestown and Ruperts.
- 35: NEWS FROM ST HELENA TOURISM - TELLING ST HELENA STORIES - St Helena (Heritage) - 18.08.2012
- As part of its ongoing work to promote St Helena internationally, Enterprise St Helena and St Helena Tourism, in conjunction with Keene – our public relations agency in the UK – organised a series of radio interviews with Julian Morris, Chief Executive for Economic Development.
- 36: St Helena: ASSISTANT PUBLIC SOLICITOR ON ISLAND - St Helena (Legal) - 18.08.2012
- The Public Solicitor's Office is pleased to announce the arrival of Miss Faryma Bahrami, Assistant Public Solicitor. Faryma will be on Island for a year, whilst Aldhelm Garner is in the UK studying for his Legal Practice Course.
- 37: ASSANGE’S FALKLANDS CONNECTION - Falklands (Business News) - 16.08.2012
- If anyone in the Falklands feels sorry for Julian Assange, then they had better feel again. It has emerged in the press from the UK and South America that the Ecuadorian effort to give Julian Assange asylum has a Falklands connection and could explain the vitriol Ecuador has shown to Falkland Islanders in that country and at the UN.
- 38: FALKLANDS COULD EXPLOIT OIL BY 2017 - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 11.08.2012
- Simon Lockett, Chief Executive Officer for Premier Oil and Sam Moody, Chief Executive of Rockhopper Exploration are visiting the Falkland Islands.
- 39: FOGL/Noble Energy Farm-in Agreement Welcomed by FIG - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 11.08.2012
- The Falkland Islands Government has welcomed news of a farm-in agreement between Falkland Oil and Gas Ltd and Noble Energy and that Noble Energy are acquiring a 35% stake in FOGL’s interests in the Falkland Islands under a farm-in deal that will assist in financing the development of FOGL’s future exploration programme.
- 40: Director’s report for the Education Board meeting 9th August 2012 - Falklands (Education) - 11.08.2012
- The temporary Classroom for Pre-School is still progressing. The main structure is complete yet the outside grounds work still needs to be finished and the electrics installed. PWD advises that it should be ready to move in to (if not completely finished,) by the 7th August 2012.
- 41: Falklands’ Mineral Resources Committee Report (08/10/12) - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 11.08.2012
- The Leiv Eiriksson rig has completed its two-well drilling campaign for Borders & Southern Petroleum with the completion of the Stebbing-3 well. B&S announced a gas condensate discovery in the Darwin East-1 well in April 2012
- 42: NEW RMS SCHEDULE IMPROVES ACCESS TO ST HELENA - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 11.08.2012
- The new schedule for the Royal Mail Ship (RMS) St Helena, 2012-15, is published today (at Annex A). Despite the current low demand in the cruise and general travel market, the new programme represents a remarkable vote of confidence in St Helena as a destination.
- 43: St Helena: ROAD CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT - St Helena (Business News) - 11.08.2012
- The Highway Authority has given approval for the road from Gordon’s Post to the Dungeon to be closed for two weeks from Monday 13th August 2012 to Friday 24th August 2012.
- 44: St Helena: Executive Council 7th August 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 11.08.2012
- We had quite a light agenda today. Our first item sought approval of the Wireless Telegraphy (Fees Amendment) Regulations, presented by the Attorney General.
- 45: ARCHITECTS ON ST HELENA ISLAND - St Helena (Business News) - 11.08.2012
- Two teams of architects will be arriving on 23 August to help St Helena Government and Enterprise St Helena deliver a vision for some of the Island’s most important sites.
- 46: St Helena: FIVE STUDENTS DEPARTING FOR UNIVERSITY - St Helena (Education) - 11.08.2012
- Leaving before the end of August and bound for the UK are five former students of Prince Andrew School.
- 47: NEW EVIDENCE FOUND IN ARGENTINE CEMETERY VANDALISM CASE - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.08.2012
- The Royal Falkland Islands Police have released further information about the vandalism occurring at the Argentine Cemetery at Darwin.
The second photograph shows the inscription on the first page of the bible and the plastic wrap.
Photo © Crown Copyright (RFIP)
- 48: HMS Dauntless first visit to Tristan 2012 - Falklands (Health) - 06.08.2012
- In the early hours of Friday the 3rd August, HMS Dauntless arrived at
Tristan, she was carrying a replacement doctor for the island, as the
current doctor had been unwell.
- 49: FOGL ANNOUNCES SECOND FARM-OUT DEAL - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 06.08.2012
- Falkland Oil & Gas (LON:FOGL) has announced a second farm-out agreement for its 40,000 sq km licence in the south and east of the Falkland Basins.
- 50: PDVSA AND YPF TO EXPLORE FOR HYDROCARBONS NEAR FALKLANDS’ WATERS - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 06.08.2012
- Several South American news agencies report that Venezuela’s PDVSA is negotiating with Argentine state-owned oil company YPF to explore for oil and gas in waters adjacent to the Falkland Islands.
- 51: GOVERNMENT HOUSE HOSTS APPRENTICE CERTIFICATE AND DIPLOMA PRESENTATION - Falklands (Education) - 04.08.2012
- Twenty six people received certificates and/or rewards at a reception held at Government House on Thursday, 26 July 2012.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 52: Falklands: Vandals Damage Glass Screen at Argentine Cemetery - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.08.2012
- A concerned member of the public reported that damage had been done to the Argentine cemetery at Darwin.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright (RFIP)
- 53: ALL SET FOR THE 2012 FALKLAND CRAFT FAIR - Falklands (Business News) - 04.08.2012
- The Falkland Craft Fair will be held in the Falkland Islands Community School on Saturday, 08 and Sunday, 09 September 2012.
- 54: Buenos Aires province bans all British Ships - Falklands (Business News) - 04.08.2012
- The Province of Buenos Aires has now passed legislation banning all British ships from its ports. This is in answer partly to the acceptance of vessels flying the Red Ensign in lieu of the Falklands’ flag in South American ports.
- 55: Falklands: SECURITY SOLUTIONS SOUGHT FOR KEMH - Falklands (Health) - 04.08.2012
- Following the incident where a patient at the KEMH went missing, the Health and Medical Services Committee received a paper reviewing security measures at the hospital.
- 56: St Helena: ALFREDA YON GAINS DIPLOMA IN PROJECT AND PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT - St Helena (Education) - 04.08.2012
- Alfreda Yon, Manager (Projects & Corporate Procurement) in the Corporate Procurement Unit, has been awarded a Level 5 Diploma (equivalent to a First Degree) in Project and Programme Management with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). Her course was funded by SHG via Distance Learning.
- 57: KING AND QUEEN’S POSTBOX WALK “LAST CHANCE” WALK ON SATURDAY, 4 AUGUST - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 04.08.2012
- As the airport project is progressing, major construction works are about to start on Prosperous Bay Plain to create the flat platform for the airport itself. This will mean that access to Prosperous Bay Plain will be restricted from Monday, 6 August, until further notice.
- 58: St Helena: UPDATE ON THE INFRASTRUCTURE, UTILITIES AND CONSTRUCTION PROGRAMME - St Helena (Business News) - 04.08.2012
- This is a long term series of individual and collective projects making up a programme.
- 59: St Helena: Design for New St Helena Air Terminal Unveilled - St Helena (Business News) - 04.08.2012
- At a special meeting of Executive Council today (31 July), held in Open Session, Councillors unanimously approved the revised design of the external finish to the Airport Terminal.
- 60: St Helena: COUNCILLOR TARA THOMAS WINS CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP - St Helena (Education) - 04.08.2012
- St Helena Councillor Tara Thomas has provisionally secured a prestigious Foreign and Commonwealth Office Chevening Scholarship, and will now undertake a year-long MBA at the London School of Business & Finance, under its Global MBA and ACCA programme, commencing January 2013.
- 61: St Helena: ALLOCATION OF RADIO FREQUENCIES – INTERIM ARRANGEMENTS - St Helena (Business News) - 04.08.2012
- Yesterday’s meeting of Executive Council agreed Interim arrangements for the allocation of radio broadcasting frequencies on St Helena, prior to the development of a final and transparent framework for the structured management of frequency allocations
- 62: FIG Proposes Action Plan for FIPASS - Falklands (Business News) - 04.08.2012
- The Falkland Islands Government (FIG) has made public a paper which outlines an Action Plan for the Falklands Interim Port and Storage System (FIPASS).