|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | December 2012|
Articles published in December 2012Select individual articles below or view all 35 articles on one page.
35 articles published
|Jan (40)||Feb (26)||Mar (0)|
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (27)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: Prime Minister's Christmas Message for the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- 2012 has been a memorable year for all of us. It’s been a year of happy celebrations but a year of more sober commemorations too. In London and Stanley, we celebrated the Diamond Jubilee, marking the sixtieth year of Her Majesty the Queen’s reign. The genuine and deep affection for Her Majesty both here and in the Falklands reminded us of the ties that bind us together.
- 2: 98th BATTLE OF THE FALKLANDS ANNIVERSARY REPORT - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- A day of celebration arranged to commemorate the 98th anniversary of the Battle of the Falklands was held on Saturday, 08 December 2012 in various locations to remember the six British sailors and 2,260 German sailors who lost their lives during the naval engagements on 08 December 1914.
- 3: Standard Chartered Reaches Final Settlement with U.S. Authorities - Falklands (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- Standard Chartered PLC has announced thatbit has reached final settlements with the Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC"), the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the Department of Justice and the New York County District Attorney's Office regarding historical sanctions compliance and U.S. dollar payment practices primarily between 2001 and 2007.
- 4: ALL SET FOR THE ANNUAL STANLEY RAFT RACE 2013 - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- The Annual Stanley Raft Race will be held on 1st January 2013, from ‘B’ Slip to the Narrows Beach (adjacent to the Narrows Bar). Rafts should be at ‘B’ Slip ready for inspection at 1130 ready for a midday start. Entry Fee is £10.00 per raft, and classes of Traditional and Super raft will be allocated to each raft by the organisers.
- 5: PUBLIC MEEETING 18/12/12 REPORT - Falklands (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- A public meeting took place in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town hall at 1700hrs on Monday, 17 December 2012. Present were approximately 30 members of the public and MLAs Elsby, Hansen, Edwards, Sawle, Cheek and Halford. MLA Halford chaired the meeting.
- 6: Mare Harbour Wind Farm Agreement Signed - Falklands (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- The Falkland Islands Government Chief Executive, Keith Padgett, Commander British Forces, Brigadier Bill Aldridge and Paul Wilson from the Defence Infrastructure Organisation have signed a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) for the construction of a new wind farm at Mare Harbour.
- 7: Colin Roberts, CVO Appointed as Falklands Governor Designate - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 22.12.2012
- The Falkland Islands Government were today delighted to hear news of the appointment of Mr Colin Roberts CVO as the next Governor of the Falkland Islands.
- 8: Falklands Executive Council Report 19 December 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 22.12.2012
- All three elected members and all ex officio members were present for this, the last meeting of the year. As always in December we had a shorter agenda as it should be urgent items only.
- 9: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY 20 DECEMBER 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 22.12.2012
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place at 0930hrs on Thursday, 20 December 2012 in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall. Present were the Speaker, the Hon Mr Keith Biles, the Clerk of Council, Mrs Claudette Anderson-Prior, The Financial Secretary Mrs Nicola Granger, the Chief Executive, Mr Keith Padgett, the Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands Brig Bill Aldridge and MLAs Short, Cheek, Hansen, Edwards, Halford and Sawle.
- 10: OVERSEAS TERRITORIES (OTS) JOINT MINISTERIAL COUNCIL REPORT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 22.12.2012
- ‘I attended the Overseas Territories Joint Ministerial Council at Lancaster House, London, from 3 to 5 December.
- 11: CLOSURE OF SAINT FM - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- The UK Government and SHG value the diversity of media and opinion in St Helena, just as in other Overseas Territories, and we recognise Saint FM’s contribution to informing the public and stimulating public debate, as well as its entertainment value.
- 12: PROJECT ADMINISTRATION MANAGER (CAPE TOWN) - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- Enterprise St Helena is pleased to announce that John Scipio has been appointed Project Administration Manager in our newly established Cape Town office. John joined ESH with effect from 19thNovember 2012, and was involved in the recent publicity events with His Excellency the Governor, Mark Capes, and the Chief Executive for Economic Development, Julian Morris.
- 13: St HELENA EXCO MEETING of 18 DECEMBER 2012 - St Helena (Legal) - 22.12.2012
- Before I discuss today’s ExCo, I would like to report on the special ExCo we had a fortnight ago on Divestment of Energy and Water Utilities. We considered the proposed regulatory framework for Divestment which had been postponed from the previous meeting to allow Councillors a chance to discuss further specific proposals contained within the paper.
- 14: THE FUTURE OF HOUSING ON ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- The future of housing on St Helena is a sensitive issue and concerns include three points - how many homes will be built on the Island, who will build these homes and will Saints benefit?
- 15: ST HELENA CHILDREN’S CHAMPION - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- Councillor Christine Scipio-O’Dean has been nominated by Legislative Council and has accepted the role of Children’s Champion for St Helena.
- 16: CLOSURE OF RADIO ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- Radio St Helena will cease to transmit after 45 years of service, at midnight on Christmas Day. The station has provided the community with news, views and entertainment for the past four decades.
- 17: St Helena: NEW UTILITIES COMPANY - BOARD MEMBERS NEEDED - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- Connect Saint Helena Ltd. starts officially trading on 1 April 2013 and is now seeking two individuals to sit on the Board as Non-Executive Directors. It is anticipated that one will take the role of ‘Chair of the Board’.
- 18: St Helena: COMMUNITY GRANT SCHEME – FIRST ROUND OF GRANTS - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- The first round of Grants under the Community Grant Scheme has been awarded to The Disabled Persons Aid Society, Sandy Bay Community Centre and St Helena Golf Club.
- 19: St Helena: GOVERNOR’S CHRISTMAS MESSAGE - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- As we prepare to celebrate the birth of Christ and as another year draws to an end, many people will pause to reflect on the events of the past year. I see it as a year of progress and adjustment.
- 20: St Helena: 1000TH DIVE FOR DARWIN PROJECT MANAGER - St Helena (Environment) - 22.12.2012
- The Environmental Management Directorate’s Darwin Project Manager, Dr Judith Brown, last week completed her 1000th dive in the sub-tropical waters of St Helena Island.
- 21: St Helena: CHANGES TO THE IMMIGRATION ORDINANCE 2011 - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- The revised 2011 Immigration Ordinance has been in place for eleven months. This Ordinance updated the 2008 Immigration Control Ordinance with a series of changes which were designed to make the rules around immigration more transparent and development friendly but also simplify processes for both immigrants and returning residents.
- 22: UK Chancellor of the Exchequer’s Autumn Statement: What does this mean for St Helena? - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- Last week saw the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer’s Autumn Statement. This is largely viewed as a ‘mini budget’ – a midyear stocktake of how the Government’s finances are progressing. The message seemed to be:
- 23: St Helena: EMPLOYMENT RIGHTS LAW SET FOR MARCH 2013 - St Helena (Business News) - 22.12.2012
- St Helena’s Employment Rights Ordinance passed through Legislative Council in 2010. Parts of it (subsections 7-10) are already in force
- 24: FOGL COMPLETES DRILLING OPERATIONS - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 09.12.2012
- Falkland Islands Oil and Gas Ltd has announced the completion of the 2012 drilling programme by stating that the Scotia well (F31/12-01) has been successfully plugged and abandoned,
- 25: Falkland Islands Holdings Plc announces Results for the six months ended 30 September 2012 - Falklands (Business News) - 09.12.2012
- Falkland Islands Holdings Plc the AIM quoted international services group owning essential services businesses focused on transport and logistics, and that has a material shareholding in AIM quoted oil exploration company Falkland Oil and Gas Limited, is pleased to announce its unaudited results for the six months ended 30 September 2012
- 26: NEW/OLD FALKLANDS’ DEPARTMENT’ RETURNS TO FCO - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 09.12.2012
- Peter Hayes, Director of the Overseas Territories, has announced the reestablishment of a Falklands Department at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- 27: GENERAL MANAGER OF FIDC GIVES ACTIVITY REPORT TO BOARD MEETING - Falklands (Business News) - 09.12.2012
- Marc Boucher, General Manager of FIDC has overviewed briefly certain corporate and GM activities that are underway and are either additional to the normal corporate and project activities or otherwise merit informing the Board. The report was made during the FIDB committee meeting held on Wednesday, 05 December 2012.
- 28: Cheek and Halford attend UK and Overseas Territories Joint Ministerial Council - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 09.12.2012
- The Hon Mrs Jan Cheek and the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford are attending the Joint Ministerial Council, which met for the first time today, bringing together political leaders from the Overseas Territories and UK Ministers to work together on several issues including strengthening economies and the environment.
- 29: Match against Isolation Cavaliers - Falklands (Snippets) - 09.12.2012
- The standard of cricket in Barbados is absolutely awesome. Cricket is the national sport and the facilities are first class.
- 30: Communiqué Issued by Joint Ministerial Council - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 09.12.2012
- The Joint Ministerial Council has closed with the agreement of a joint communiqué which sets out priority issues and a comprehensive action plan for joint work in the coming year.
- 31: SHAYLA ELLICK AWARDED UNIVERISTY PRIZE FOR HIGHEST MARKS - St Helena (Education) - 09.12.2012
- St Helenian student, Shayla Ellick (of Cow Path), has graduated from the University of Hertfordshire with a 1st Class Honours Degree in Environmental Management and a University Prize for receiving the highest marks for her course.
- 32: REAPPOINTMENT OF ST HELENA SHERIFF - St Helena (Legal) - 09.12.2012
- Greta Pat Musk MBE JP has been reappointed today as Sheriff of St Helena by Acting Governor Owen O’Sullivan, in the Governor’s Office at the Castle (pictured). This reappointment will take effect from 1 January 2013. The Sheriff’s Prescribed Oaths were taken before the Acting Governor.
- 33: St Helena DIVESTMENT OF UTILITIES - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 09.12.2012
- At a special meeting of ExCo today (4 December 2012), Council agreed final plans for the Divestment of Energy and Water utilities on St Helena.
- 34: GOVERNOR ATTENDS JOINT MINISTERIAL COUNCIL IN LONDON - St Helena (Business News) - 09.12.2012
- HE Governor Capes this week represents St Helena at the Foreign Office’s Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) at Lancaster House in London (4-5 December), where he is joined by Councillor Derek Thomas. Formerly the Overseas Territories Consultative Council, the JMC now forms the annual meeting between the UK and its Territories and reflects the aspiration expressed in this year’s White Paper of equal partners discussing matters of mutual interest, agreeing priorities and developing plans for implementation.
- 35: St Helena HELPING ROADS SECTION HELP YOU - St Helena (Business News) - 09.12.2012
- The Roads Section’s core purpose is the provision and maintenance of the Island road network. This is a big task, with 45 miles of main roads and over 20 miles of other government roads -