|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | February 2013|
Articles published in February 2013Select individual articles below or view all 28 articles on one page.
28 articles published
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (25)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jul (60)||Aug (47)||Sep (48)|
|Oct (42)||Nov (30)||Dec (25)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (36)|
- 1: US Neutrality: 31 Year Falklands 'Snub' Continues - Falklands (Business News) - 22.02.2013
- For the US to recognise the de facto (existing whether legally accepted or not) Government of the Falkland Islands is as good as it gets for Islanders who are to hold a referendum on Sunday, 10 March and Monday, 11 March 2013, expressing their desire (or not) to remain a British Overseas Territory.
- 2: (BIMR) Annual Conference Ends with Self-Determination the Central Theme - Falklands (Education) - 22.02.2013
- Described as both fascinating and thought provoking, the 43rd British Islands and Mediterranean Region (BIMR) Annual Conference of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA), held in the Falkland Islands has ended.
- 3: Hon. Ian Hansen Assumes Responsibility for the Minerals Portfolio - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 22.02.2013
- Following the announcement in the Legislative Assembly meeting of 21st February 2013, The Hon. Barry Elsby has relinquished responsibility for the Minerals portfolio due to a conflict of interest.
- 4: Falklands: Executive Council Report 20th February 2013 - Falklands (Legal) - 22.02.2013
- The Hon Jan Cheek, the Hon Ian Hansen and I attended Exco on the 20th February. The agenda was a fairly light one this month. Under matters arising from the previous meeting, we noted that the second legislative drafter was expected to arrive in the Falklands in early Match
- 5: CUSTOMS DUTY EXEMPTION ON SPECTACLES AND HEARING AIDS FOR THOSE ON LOW INCOMES - St Helena (Business News) - 22.02.2013
- Following a representation to Executive Council by the Chairman of the Health & Social Welfare Committee, Councillor Cyril Gunnell, it has been agreed by Financial Secretary Colin Owen, that a one-off exemption from payment of Customs Duties on spectacles procured through the Optician, should apply for those in receipt of IRB or earning less than £7,000 per annum. This concession applies for orders placed during the 2013 visit of the Optician – who is currently on-Island and due to leave on 2 April.
- 6: St Helena: SOCIAL POLICY PLAN – PARTICIPATION EVENTS - St Helena (Business News) - 22.02.2013
- Social Policy Planner, Paul McGinnety, will be hosting a series of public participation events around the Island, commencing in March.
- 7: St Helena DEVELOPMENT AID PLANNING MISSION - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- The Development Aid Planning Mission (DAPM) will run from 12 - 20 February 2013. The team, from the Department for International Development (DFID), comprises: Suzanne Adcock (St Helena Programme Manager), Mary Thompson (Social Development Adviser) and Doug Winslow (Economic Adviser).
- 8: St Helena ARCHITECTURAL AND DESIGN COMPETITION - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- An architectural competition is being launched by St Helena Government, to encourage architects and designers who have been in practice for no more than five years to develop concepts for a housing project for St Helena, with designs that are innovative and affordable to build.
- 9: ‘JAMESTOWN: A VISION FOR 2020’ - NOW ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- St Helena is at a pivotal point in her history with air access and the proposed shift of cargo and freight operations to Rupert’s Bay over the next four years.
- 10: COMMUNITY GRANT SCHEME DEADLINE NOW EXTENDED TO THURSDAY 28th FEBRUARY - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- The second round of grants have been awarded under the community grant scheme and nine organisations were successful. Community centres at Blue Hill and Harford, the Girl Guides, St Helena Cricket Association, SHNT, New Horizons, the Farmers Association, WISH and St Helena Community Development Organisation.
- 11: St Helena: BENEFIT SYSTEM STUDY - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- Roy Sainsbury and his colleague, Jonathan Bradshaw, from the University of York in the UK, have been reviewing the changes made to the St Helena benefit system in 2011, when the Island introduced its first ever retirement pension scheme
- 12: St Helena LAND DEVELOPMENT CONSULTATION – REMINDER - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- The 2008 Land Planning Development Control Ordinance has recently been thoroughly reviewed by officials, the Land Development Control Board, and the Natural Resources, Development and Environment Committee.
- 13: St Helena KERISHA STEVENS TO UK FOR WHITEHALL ATTACHMENTS - St Helena (Education) - 16.02.2013
- SHG Public Relations Officer, Kerisha Stevens, this week travels to the UK to undertake a six-week programme of work experience attached to UK Government Press Offices, funded under the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s (FCO’s) Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Fund.
- 14: St HelenaNEW RADIO STATION LAUNCHED ON WORLD RADIO DAY - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- Today is United Nations World Radio Day (13 February 2013) and marks two significant developments in the new media organisation on St Helena – the full launch of the first of three new FM radio stations, and the renaming of St Helena Broadcasting (Guaranteed) Corporation Ltd to South Atlantic Media Services Ltd. (SAMS). SHG congratulates the staff and community-run Board of SAMS [formerly SHB(G)C] for this latest milestone in serving the community.
- 15: St Helena EMPLOYMENT RIGHTS ORDINANCE – REMINDER - St Helena (Business News) - 16.02.2013
- St Helena’s Employment Rights Ordinance passed through Legislative Council in 2010. Parts of it (subsections 7-10) are already in force - allowing for the creation of an Employment Rights Committee and for work to be undertaken on a possible Minimum Wage.
- 16: Commonwealth Parliamentary Association 43rd British Islands and Mediterranean Region Annual Conference - Falklands (Business News) - 14.02.2013
- The 43rd British Islands and Mediterranean Region Annual Conference is taking place at the Town Hall on Tuesday, 12 February 2013 and Wednesday, 13 February 2013. Boasting a conference theme of “Self-determination and its Role in Self Governance and Devolution,”
- 17: THE HUMAN ASPECT OF THE RIGHT TO SELF DETERMINATION -AND THE NEED FOR CONTINUED VIGILANCE - Falklands (Business News) - 13.02.2013
- Let us start by identifying the most common manifestation of the right to self-determination It is often said in presentations to relevant international fora that colonial people enjoy the right to self-determination and that the right is an inalienable human right.
- 18: Oliva lifeboat has washed ashore in Australia - Tristan (Tourism/Travel) - 06.02.2013
- Now almost two years later it has been found washed ashore at Coorong
in South Australia
- 19: IT’S THE HIGHWAY FOR TIMERMAN AS HE REFUSES TO MEET FALKLANDS MLAs - Falklands (Business News) - 03.02.2013
- The Argentine Foreign Minister, Hector Timerman, has refused to meet representatives of the Falkland Islands government, which Argentina does not recognise.
- 20: CONGRESSMAN THOMAS PETRI IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 03.02.2013
- Congressman Thomas Petri, representing Wisconsin's 6th Congressional District is serving his 17th term in the U.S. House of Representatives has been visiting the Falklands since Monday
- 21: FIRS TACKLES LEGISLATIVE DRAFTING WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND MLA DICK SAWLE - Falklands (Legal) - 03.02.2013
- On Wednesday, 29 January 2013 Stacy Bragger discussed problems that have been identified with the laws of the Falklands.
- 22: MANTIS GROUP IMPRESSED WITH ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 03.02.2013
- A team of six from the Mantis Collection, a group of privately owned boutique hotels and eco-escapes across the globe, have been on St Helena for just under a week and are very impressed with the Island, which they have termed ‘Exceptional’.
- 23: “ASPIRE TO RESTORE THE SPIRE!”ST JAMES’ CHURCH STEEPLE RESTORATION APPEAL - St Helena (Heritage) - 03.02.2013
- An Appeal has been launched to restore the spire of St James’ Church, the oldest Anglican Church in the Southern Hemisphere, led by appeal organisers, Ivy Ellick, OBE and Cathy Hopkins, MBE.
- 24: IMPROVEMENTS IN HEALTH AND SOCIAL WELFARE - St Helena (Health) - 03.02.2013
- The Health and Social Welfare Directorate has recently seen the return of three medical staff and a new addition to their medical team.
- 25: St Helena: ETHEL CELEBRATES HER CENTURY - St Helena (Heritage) - 03.02.2013
- On Monday 28 January, a tea party was held at Plantation House to celebrate the 100th birthday of Mrs Ethel Sim, the eldest resident on the Island. Hosted by HE the Governor and Mrs Capes, the party began at 3pm with family and friends in attendance.
- 26: REPORT OF SPECIAL EXCO MEETING 29 JANUARY 2013 - St Helena (Business News) - 03.02.2013
- A special meeting of EXCO was held today to discuss just one paper, introduced by the Chief Secretary, which invited Councillors to consider a document prepared by Enterprise St Helena, entitled, ‘Jamestown – a vision for 2020’; and to agree that the document should be presented to the public for consultation.
- 27: St Helena ROADS UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 03.02.2013
- Since the beginning of the year the Roads Section has been busy progressing with the Roads Project. This project is temporarily boosting resources within the Roads Section to try and reduce the backlog of maintenance on St Helena’s road network.
- 28: PUBLIC TRANSPORT TRIAL RUN - St Helena (Business News) - 03.02.2013
- One of the objectives in St Helena’s Sustainable Development plan is to facilitate private, public, tourist and business development across the Island through an improved public transport system.